PC wont/cant see additional drive. (1 Viewer)

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
My son-in-law has a 1T external drive filled with music (he's a DJ), any way it crashed. Still switches on as you can hear the disc spin. He bought a recovery program and recovered most of his music, no problem. hoping to be able to Format The disc and start again. PC cant see the drive, Device Manager can see it but not when I click on front page Hard Drives, not there.:Eeek:
Can any one tell me how I can get into the drive as it wasnt cheap and he realy would like to have it back on line.

I suppose you are going to tell me it nackered.:cry:

God Bless Motorhome Fun

Don

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I assume that it is a USB connection, if so try a different port or better still try a different computer. You might get lucky.

Doug...

OP
OP
Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Done both, various leads, variose ports, my PC his PC. No Luck.

But thanks for the response.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a couple of points if it needs to be reformatted the computer will not see it but the reformat program will. secondly is is a largew drive, could be it needs a fat64 system to see it, then again I could be leading you up the garden path. Point is it crashed it is knackered until reformated. You say he recovered most of the music, where to? if recovered to the hard drive then it has crashed again. If recovered to another drive then the disk was readable at one point but is no longer. Needs a full reformat using the utility disk supplied with the drive. Good luck.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I know you say it "was" not cheap, but now you can get 1Tb drives for around 60 quid, so is it worth the aggro?

david

OP
OP
Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
a couple of points if it needs to be reformatted the computer will not see it but the reformat program will. secondly is is a largew drive, could be it needs a fat64 system to see it, then again I could be leading you up the garden path. Point is it crashed it is knackered until reformated. You say he recovered most of the music, where to? if recovered to the hard drive then it has crashed again. If recovered to another drive then the disk was readable at one point but is no longer. Needs a full reformat using the utility disk supplied with the drive. Good luck.

What and where is reformat program. No utility disk with HD. Music recovered to a spare disc that I had and working fine. Recovery program picked up the 1TB and recovered the music.but nothing else will see it.

I know you say it "was" not cheap, but now you can get 1Tb drives for around 60 quid, so is it worth the aggro?

david

What is cheap to you is a wad for some one else.

Thanks for all your responses.

Don

OP
OP
Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Persistance pays off. An abundance of reading and trial and error. I have won. I now have my Son-In-Law's 1TB back and functioning::bigsmile: Will he be pleased. I will be the best thing since he discovered Motorhoming:ROFLMAO:

Thanks again to those who gave constructive and helpfull advice.

Thanks:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Don

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
well done so do share what was the answer in the end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back