Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi, can anyone help
my download speed on my PC has suddenly dropped from about 8.5 Mbps to about 0.8 I can connect wirelessly with my iPad at about 8 so I guess that rules the router out, I've changed the Ethernet cable to the PC with no improvement, I've checked theLAN settings and eMail settings and they all appear to correct. My PC started an auto tune up this morning which may have something to do with the problem but I,ve done a restore point to prior to that happening and still no joy, I've reached the limit of my expertise? now so any help will be gratefully received. Oh, the upload speed on the iPad and PC are appox 0.8 and that was what the PC was giving prior to upload problem.

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi, can anyone help
my download speed on my PC has suddenly dropped from about 8.5 Mbps to about 0.8 I can connect wirelessly with my iPad at about 8 so I guess that rules the router out, I've changed the Ethernet cable to the PC with no improvement, I've checked theLAN settings and eMail settings and they all appear to correct. My PC started an auto tune up this morning which may have something to do with the problem but I,ve done a restore point to prior to that happening and still no joy, I've reached the limit of my expertise? now so any help will be gratefully received. Oh, the upload speed on the iPad and PC are appox 0.8 and that was what the PC was giving prior to upload problem.

50 plus views and no suggestions, come on troops give us a hand ( no, not applause Yosser):RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This is from Microsoft ..

Two of the most frequent causes of poor Internet performance are spyware and viruses. Spyware can slow your system by interfering with your browser and monopolizing your Internet connection. Spyware monitors your Internet use and keystrokes, which adds delays. The problem is compounded when there are multiple spyware programs running at the same time. If the problem is severe enough, you can lose connectivity altogether. To get your Internet performance back, you should regularly run an antispyware program to clean out any spyware infestation

If not already tried, download Malwarebytes ..

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I am no expert by any means but when this has happened before to me I have a) done a full scan with the virus scan b) done a full scan on the hard drive then c) done a defrag - takes a fair while but has some times worked and then at least you know that side of things are OK.

In the past we have had problems with both Norton and MacAffe which seem to take over the hard drive after a while - we went to AVG which was very good but occasionally we found conflict with Microsoft - now we just use the Microsoft virus scan and firewall and have had no problems at all with slowing down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Disc Check

Hi Gooney,
It is possible you have loaded a 'Joey' with your up dates. Sounds a bit dramatic for Disc Load.
I have used Reg Cure Pro for many years and run it each day, makes a huge difference, There is a free test.
I am Web Master for three large Military Sites and need a fast response.

Have you checked your Disc space, go to 'my Computer' click open and it will tell you the figures i.e. Mine at the moment is 765 GB with 598 GB free.
Try http://www.testmyspeed.com/ this will give you some indication of your Broadband status.

Try and go through the system step by step till you fine the problem and hopefully the solution.
Lets know how you get on.
Best Regards Mac

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If its the download speed then its likely to be your ISP. The first thing I would do is turn off your router/moden and pc then wait (they recon a couple of minutes) a while I give it 5 minutes.
Turn the router/modem back on and when its booted ok turn the pc on.

There is much to be said by doing regular house keeping on the pc by clearing out browsing history and tempory internet files - this is done from settings within your browser ie Google Chrome, Firefox or Internet Explorer. If you are using the latter and its an old version update it Internet Explorer can be slow.

You can then do some other stuff,(If windows pc) go into Accessories/System Tools and run Disk Clean Up, when thats finished run Disk Defragmentation

There is other software that will help but try that 1st

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If its the download speed then its likely to be your ISP. The first thing I would do is turn off your router/moden and pc then wait (they recon a couple of minutes) a while I give it 5 minutes.

but his iPad has full speed ..
I can connect wirelessly with my iPad at about 8

how could one be affected but not the other if it was the ISP ?

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
I suggest you run a registry cleaner, that should speed up and clean up.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks for response Jim, I hadn't thought of virus I've got firewall and M/S essentials security installed but I'll try your suggestion:thumb:

Hi Gooney.. have you had any success yet , find any malware ?

Word of caution... I would be very very wary of running any Reg cleaner.. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to reformat due to a Reg cleaner messing up the system.. they should only be used if you really know what you are doing ..

I'm no expert but have enough experience to stay well clear of them.. especially the 'free to download' ones.. they find zillions of imaginary problems to lure you into buying.. I learned the hard way. :Doh:

The only one I would recommend and use with any confidence is Link Removed.. it will clean all the rubbish files and does a light registry clean.. never had it cause any issues.... been using it for years..

OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Gooney.. have you had any success yet , find any malware ?

Word of caution... I would be very very wary of running any Reg cleaner.. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to reformat due to a Reg cleaner messing up the system.. they should only be used if you really know what you are doing ..

I'm no expert but have enough experience to stay well clear of them.. especially the 'free to download' ones.. they find zillions of imaginary problems to lure you into buying.. I learned the hard way. :Doh:

The only one I would recommend and use with any confidence is Link Removed.. it will clean all the rubbish files and does a light registry clean.. never had it cause any issues.... been using it for years..

Hi Jim
I've tried it this morning, download speed now down to 0.2 ,
I've just run CC cleaner, no improvement, couldn't download Malware (too slow)
I've tried disabling the firewall in case it was blocking what it shouldn't, no improvement
I've run a quick scan with M/S essentials security, no threats found
I'm going out now so I'll leave it doing a full scan

It's a download problem, the upload side is still 0.88, same as on my iPad.

Although I've tried a different ethernet cable I might resort to changing the router when I come back in.

Meanwhile any other suggestions welcome.:thumb:

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
Word of caution... I would be very very wary of running any Reg cleaner.

I'm no expert but have enough experience to stay well clear of them.. [HI]especially the 'free to download' ones[/HI].. they find zillions of imaginary problems to lure you into buying.. I learned the hard way. :Doh:

Good advice to be careful, I would also recommend CCleaner at this stage, only use the default setup and only tick 'other tasks to complete' when you are confident what you are doing. :thumb:

It might be the 'internet' is slow or has been slowed. This happens if the ISP is working on the line - they never inform you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gooney
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Back to speed

Back up to speed, (9mbps) on wired PC and wireless iPad
Thanks for all the suggestions, I finally swapped the router to a freebie one I got from TalkTalk and that did the trick.
I'd never believed the original router (Netgear DGN2000) would have been the culprit, it was transmitting to my iPad at 8+mbps but the wired connection side of it was gradually failing, it dropped from about 8 to one then down to ~0.2, any way all's well now although the wireless range is not as good as the netgear was.
:Doh::Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back