Paypal Scam (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Last week we advertised our motorhome for sale with Gumtree. Within minutes of posting, we received a reply from James asking if it was still available. I replied saying yes I had only just posted it. He replied instantly asking me to contact his sister who was the buyer giving me an email of janetsmith023@gmail.com. I contacted her and she replied that she was buying it for her son as a surprise birthday present. Was the condition as described, what was the best price and that she did not require shipping as her mover would collect it. As the fastest and as the most secure method would pay by PayPal. I replied and said I would accept payment only by cleared Bankers Draft and heard no more from her.
Next day, in the Saturday Times was an article about the latest scam whereby a person buying an expensive item pays by PayPal and sends a third party to collect the item then reports to PayPal that they have never received the item and PayPal refund them. You as seller then have neither the money or the goods and the purchaser has vanished into the ether.
Luckily we smelled a rat but had the scammer been a little more clever we may have fallen for it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I read that but in my experience, yes Paypal will remove the money but they won't refund the seller till after an investigation where you can put your case.

That said, paypal is not the best way to receive large payments, they charge too much and are a law unto themselves.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Bank transfer or bankers draft is the way to go. Small deposit by PayPal at most.

PayPal can be reversed if the card was stolen or dodgy bank details etc. So you lose the goods and the money. Well known scam especially when they say someone else will collect it for them.

Some poor sods will fall for it though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I had 20 dollars offered me by e-mail this morning ---just need to click the "link " to transfer funds .What made me suspicious was it was made out to Charlotte Alcock !

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I had 20 dollars offered me by e-mail this morning ---just need to click the "link " to transfer funds .What made me suspicious was it was made out to Charlotte Alcock !
I sometimes get emails for someone called Charlotte as well, but think she must have a very similar email to mine as I get solicitors and estate agents and shopping orders and stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back