Payment in full BEFORE handover??? (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
OFFER and ACCEPTANCE

Not signed = Not worth the papers its written on :thumb:

You are in control of the situation NOT the dealers, tell THEM exactly how and when you are going to pay them :winky:

Any first year law student can tell you the rules of contract law. It is offer and acceptance. An email is a perfectly good contract and does not have to be signed. As long as an offer has been made say by the seller and the buy has sent an email back accepting the deal then there is a contract in force. 'The Brinkibonk' cases set the postal rules among others many many years back, including faxes. We have no progressed to include emails.

As long as there is an agreement by the parties and they are both talking about the same item (I will not go in to the legal words) but it can be a legal document if you have agreed to the terms and conditions (Excluding the Unfair Contract Terms Act if they apply).

Anyway the main thing is you have got what you ordered and now paid for.

By the way the dealer has not got his money at the time you use a debt card as the funds are only reserved until the transaction hits your bank and is bounced back to the dealers bank as paid and I suspect that is why they wanted payment three days before to make sure the funds are in there account. Up to the time funds get into the dealer account the bank can stop the transaction if they had good reason to do so... another story.

Bob

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
:Smile:pay on handover with credit or debit card we did
Don't think many dealers will want you to pay with a credit card. Generally, debit cards have a fixed fee, credit cards have a percentage fee for the recipient. No dealer is going to give 2% away to a credit card company when most other methods of payment are fixed fee.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Slightly OT but one tip for anyone paying out such a large amount on a debit card is to inform your bank beforehand.

When we bought our van the payment didn't go through immediately. The dealer received a coded message to telephone the bank to explain why such a large amount was involved.

Admirable security on the part of the bank but it was a bit disconcerting at the time :Smile:

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I paid balance on new RV by debit card on friday and it did not leave my account until this morning, around 3 working days.
I contacted the bank in advance because of the amount involved. When paying, the bank rang the dealer and asked to talk to me , security questions etc, OK , but still not instant.
The funds in my account to cover the amount although showing on my balance were not part of available balance.

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Handing over monies

Hi, I bought my motorhome from Marquis and after paying a deposit they also wanted payment 5 days before handover. I was very wary and discussed it with both my accountant and solicitor and these great folks at MotorhomeFun. All advised against paying up front. I then contacted Marquis and told them I was not prepared to pay up front until I had chance to check my motorhome thoroughly at the hand over.

After much discussion they finally conceded and I paid on the day of the handover by debit card after fully checking vehicle.

Good luck do what you think is best FOR YOU and remember they will not want to lose your custom. Take into account, though unlikely, during the three days the firm goes bust and you then lose all your money, that thought is what made me make up my mind and not part with the money until I had the keys to the motorhome.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on
Keep Smiling ::bigsmile:

Nannyjan

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
checklist
terry

Attachments

• mh_inspection_checklist_938.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Slightly OT but one tip for anyone paying out such a large amount on a debit card is to inform your bank beforehand.

When we bought our van the payment didn't go through immediately. The dealer received a coded message to telephone the bank to explain why such a large amount was involved.

Admirable security on the part of the bank but it was a bit disconcerting at the time :Smile:

Graham

Funnily enough, we had a telephone call from our bank this morning asking why we were carrying such a large amount in our current account! I explained we were buying a new mtorhome next Monday.

The Halifax is very good in contacting you about things which are unusual on your account. A couple of years after we moved home my new debit card was sent to our old address (Mike's was sent correctly) We were away at the time and when we returned home the card had been used to buy over £800 of goods in Doncaster, mainly clothes and trainers etc. The bank itemised all the items and refunded the full amount. Two teenage girls had been left in our previous house - house sitting - and although the police were involved they could not prove they had used my card.

Apparently the Halifax database only picked up the first name for any changes to the address, the incident with my card pointed to a breakdown in their system which they put right straight away.

Ginny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well, we have just returned home from Marquis and all in all are very pleased indeed with the quality of service and work done on the motorhome.

There was only one little problem, the new reversing/rear view camera we had bought and asked them to fit had only been fitted as a reversing camera, even though we had made a point of asking them to fit it as a rear view camera which could be on whenever the need arose.

This means that it has to go back to Northampton for a couple of days, which is a bind!!

Still the rest of the transaction was very smooth and they could not do enough - including a full 3 year warranty.

Ginny

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
glad you are sorted :thumb:Hope you got it in writing that they will fix the camera :Eeek::Doh::winky: Also hope they honour the 3 yr warranty :thumb:
terry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There was only one little problem, the new reversing/rear view camera we had bought and asked them to fit had only been fitted as a reversing camera, even though we had made a point of asking them to fit it as a rear view camera which could be on whenever the need arose.

This means that it has to go back to Northampton for a couple of days, which is a bind!!

Ginny

save yourself the trip and inconvenience....simply remove the wire going to the reverse light switch on the gearbox and tape up the end to protect it..

all this wire does is turn on the monitor when reverse is selected.

without the wire, simply turn on the monitor at the on/off button and it remains on 'til you turn it off.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Does the monitor not get its live feed from the reverse light wire?

We rang Marquis and asked how long the wiring would take and they said a couple of hours. You are quite right the monitor is wired to the reverse light and they now have to take it to the ignition.

Michael was a bit niffed that it had to back in, particularly as it is putting wasted miles on the clock and being so close to when we are setting off for France, but I suppose it is best to have it done properly especially as it will all be covered by the 3 year warranty - which we do have in writing!

Thanks for all your advice, apparently Marquis say it is normal practice to pay for the Motorhome 3 days in advance, this might be a problem with a company who do not honour their promises etc, but so far we are pleased.

Ginny

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Michael was a bit niffed that it had to go back in, particularly as it is putting wasted miles on the clock and being so close to when we are setting off for France
Ginny

Not wasted really. A good few shakedown miles tests the vehicle and driver. Better done here then there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back