Payment in full BEFORE handover??? (2 Viewers)

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

We are due to collect our new motorhome in a couple of weeks but have been asked to pay in full 3 days before we are due to collect.

Is this usual??? we have never paid the balance before handover on our two previous vans.

Ginny

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
IMO Dont part with a penny till you are satisfied with the goods,MH or anything else for that matter.
I presume the dealer already has a sizable deposit,that should be good enough till handover.

CURLYCORNFLAKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
North of Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
pay on collection

Hi

we picked our m/h up in April
I crawled all over it then the handover
and only when happy with it then paid by debit card

suggest you do the same

Herb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have always paid the balance on the handover and only when I am happy. I find sellers much more accommodating when I owe them money:winky: Some sellers will lose interest in you the moment you have paid in full:RollEyes:

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I have always paid the balance on the handover and only when I am happy. I find sellers much more accommodating when I owe them money:winky: Some sellers will lose interest in you the moment you have paid in full:RollEyes:

I must admit we were surprised. They already have our Motorhome as they have to swap several things over and install a new satellite system etc etc.

Since Debit cards are instant cash in their account I cant understand why they need it 3 days in advance.

I wonder what will happen if we refuse to pay in full until we collect the motorhome.

Ginny

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
When we picked up our new van approx 2yrs ago we did not pay the final payment till handover, when I was sure all was OK and all extras fitted and working. I was never asked to pay earlier either.
Can't remember if we paid by debit or credit card if pushed would say credit card.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ginny I didn't pay until I went to pick it up.

Before you hand the money over in ADVANCE, have a word with Sheila from Runrig about what happened to some friends of theirs. would be very warey of anyone asking you to do this. Could be something in the air.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I do not expect to be paid until the purchaser is happy, never have, never will.

On the same hand I don't part with the van until I get paid! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008
Hi

We never pay for anything in full in advance, we didn't get our stairs carpet done a week before Christmas, they wanted payment in full :Angry: and we didn't want to pay untill it was laid and we were happy with it. So we told them we would look somewhere else.

Once they have your money you haven't got much of a leg to stand on in my view if you have any problems.

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
We picked ours up last Saturday and paid after i looked over it for about 1hr lol... Then i payed them there and then here is the proof..

Dont faint....

Link Removed

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I think you will be foolish to pay 3 days before you receive your unit, especially by debit card! Stand up for your rights! Even baffle them with "bulldust" Every scumbag in town is using it as a reason, why shouldn't you as decent people! Throw in the ubicquitous " It's against my human rights", or! and this is the number one! hit the b- - - - - -ds with "Consumor rights"
OR the Nuclear bomb! "I've spoken to Trading Standards- - - - "

They are trying it on! if you fall for it more fool you!

They are bulls***ing you, give it to them back!!! You Brits really need to learn to stand up and serve it back to these "people"!!

rangitira

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
We picked ours up last Saturday and paid after i looked over it for about 1hr lol... Then i payed them there and then here is the proof..

Dont faint....

Link Removed

I cant believe they didnt let you off for the £9.00 :Doh::ROFLMAO:

brodie

Free Member
Mar 12, 2010
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2008

Dont faint....

Link Removed

Good god I would want a buy-to-let for that amount :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Ginny
Dont know who your buying from but what Joy says is true my friends still havent got their motorhome and they paid up front. My advice is pay rest when you pick up the new van and are satisfied with it. We paid our final payment when we collected our new van.
Just be careful.
Sheila

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I certainly would NOT part with my money until I picked it up and was happy, there are many ways of them knowing they have the cash at that time, so they are not taking a risk, but you are if you pay first.

Just my opinion, but when I was in the motor trade I never asked for cash until the customer was happy and ready to drive away.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Buying before you see it is called "Pig in a poke"

Doug...

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Id ask this dealer just whats in it for me? I mean, they have your 'old' 'van, and now they want your cash as well up front. The 'deck' is well and truly stacked - and NOT in your favour!

Id have refused this proposal on the spot - to the point of walking away if necessary.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
It's tricky. We were told if we didn't, they wouldn't register and tax it until after they had the money.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Do you have a contract of sale?? Does it say you must pay in advance or the vehicle wont be registered or taxed?

Read it very carefully and let us know what you have signed and agreed to

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
paid on collection with bankers draft

Hi,

We are due to collect our new motorhome in a couple of weeks but have been asked to pay in full 3 days before we are due to collect.

Is this usual??? we have never paid the balance before handover on our two previous vans.

Ginny

Paid using a bankers draft which was agreed before hand. But yes pay by debit card but after you have gone all over the vehcile.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
There has to be a degree of trust on both sides :thumb:Use your own judgement :thumb:DON'T trust them :ROFLMAO:
terry

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Just got my new RV from Lazy Days at Hinstock, payment was not requested until I was satisfied.
So far an excellent service from Michael Davies at Lazy Days :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Re: Tricky

Please ignore my post on this subject. Pete says I am rambling again. He paid for it in full on his debit card when we collected it!

Most money he has ever spent in one day LOL!!

Jenny

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Do you have a contract of sale?? Does it say you must pay in advance or the vehicle wont be registered or taxed?

Read it very carefully and let us know what you have signed and agreed to

Yes we have a contract of sale, but it has not been signed as it was emailed to us. We bought the motorhome only hours after it had come into the dealers.

We bought our second Motorhome from Marquis and did not have to pay 3 days before handover, it seems they have changed the way they do business. Has anyone else bought a motorhome from Marquis lately??

Ginny

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Yes we have a contract of sale, but it has not been signed as it was emailed to us. We bought the motorhome only hours after it had come into the dealers.

We bought our second Motorhome from Marquis and did not have to pay 3 days before handover, it seems they have changed the way they do business. Has anyone else bought a motorhome from Marquis lately??

Ginny

Not signed = Not worth the papers its written on :thumb:

You are in control of the situation NOT the dealers, tell THEM exactly how and when you are going to pay them :winky:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
Since Debit cards are instant cash in their account I cant understand why they need it 3 days in advance.
the last two new vans we have bought .i told them i would pay the balance in full on my debit card after checking van on hand over.the money is money is in your bank and they no it is in there account when you jive it them .dont let them push you they have your old van and could have already sold it .

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
pay on the day

:Smile:pay on handover with credit or debit card we did

Join us or log in to post a reply.