Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am trying to find out the payload for a Fiat Ducato Elnagh SEA 640R I realize this is something I should have found out before putting down a deposit on the vehicle, Having since read articles about MHs having ridiculously low payloads I asked the dealer and he says the only way to find out the mass in running order (MIRO) is to empty the vehicle and have it weighed. To do that would mean calculating and deducting the weight of the top box, bike rack, and wind out canopy etc. Apparently the gross weight axle weights and train weight are the only figures found on the plate, NOT THE MIRO WEIGHT.
If this is the case it obviously makes it impossible to work out the payload unless as the dealer says having it weighed empty or is there another way of finding this out?

OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Okay lets put it this way, it was an anxious moment when the guy at the weighbridge printed out the ticket, it was just me sitting in the van weighing in at 109k, a good half tank of fuel, not much fresh water 20lt or so, no grey water, fully loaded apart for the fridge being empty. The figures worked out to 175k wriggle room which is less than I was hoping but my wife only weighs 65k the dog 10K (fat git seeing as he's only a short ass Shi-Tzu).
So that means there's hardly enough kilos left for a weekends supply of booze.
As things are it will do for me and the missus however this van is rated as 4/5 berth which would certainly be a disappointment for a normal size couple with three kids all wanting to take bikes and a full awning etc

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like if you have virtually everything you need in it should be just legal even with a full tank of water. Better than a lot of vans.
Can you upgrade if you need to?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's not all bad news then - you're still legal (y).
Perhaps review what you've loaded and see how much is "essential".

Not that you should rely on it but in the unlikely event of being checked you have up to 5% leeway before getting a fine [that's 175kg based on 3500kg]

Perhaps have a initial chat to SVTech about a paper exercise upgrade - if your licence allows.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps your wife should exchange you for a more svelt model? :imoutahere:;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can't say that I've ever been slender and elegant but the wife's happy because the bulk of my weight is where it counts

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
the exact dimensions and layout as mine but has a gross weight 100k more. --- WHY?
It is quite common on european models. 3500kgs, 3400kgs,3300kgs( favourite is this) 3200kgs, (close second) 3100kgs. No idea why ?but first thing you have to look at here is the plate to see whether it is a lighter plate weight.

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Okay lets put it this way, it was an anxious moment when the guy at the weighbridge printed out the ticket, it was just me sitting in the van weighing in at 109k, a good half tank of fuel, not much fresh water 20lt or so, no grey water, fully loaded apart for the fridge being empty. The figures worked out to 175k wriggle room which is less than I was hoping but my wife only weighs 65k the dog 10K (fat git seeing as he's only a short ass Shi-Tzu).
So that means there's hardly enough kilos left for a weekends supply of booze.
As things are it will do for me and the missus however this van is rated as 4/5 berth which would certainly be a disappointment for a normal size couple with three kids all wanting to take bikes and a full awning etc

So what weight did you have on the back axle that’s the important bit. If it’s over 2000kg you may not be legal even if you are under weight. We have 80kg we cannot use above the front axle as we have knowhere to store anything at the front.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
QFour Unfortunately I could not get the axels weighed at this particular site so to answer your question :- its something I need to find out
Gus, The mass vehicle weight of my van is 3400k and the 2yr earlier model that I saw was similar in every visual respect and had a MVW of 3500k So my question is does the earlier model have a 100k greater payload or does it have a greater MIRO which in effect could give it a similar payload
Lenny, Upgrading is something I shall be looking into if its going to increase my payload

Upvote 0

bfb

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I must agree to Spriddlers reply. I just can't wait to find an excuse to get out in mine. It's a 21 year old Hymer BM640 on a 2.9 Mercedes diesel. Driving it is the start of my holiday and very relaxing. The one thing I like the most is the view from the cab especially when a young lady draws level in a queue and she is wearing a mini skirt. It does stop me from going to sleep though. Hope the Ayatollah doesn't read this!:whistle:

Upvote 0

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Do MH often get stopped and checked for weight? I’ve never even considered this before I joined here

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do MH often get stopped and checked for weight? I’ve never even considered this before I joined here
It doesn't happen very often but that's not what overly concerns me, if I was in an accident and they could show that our PVC was overweight, it would give the insurance company a possible way to refuse to pay out.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It would appear you're not alone - so many vans appear unfit for purpose.
For me, it's not about being 'caught' but about knowing what weight I am, and the mechanical limits of my vehicle.
Without knowing the weights, how can you know if you're exceeding the safety margins.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you add the axle weights as shown on the weight plate together they probably will be more than the mazimum authorised mass in service. I might be wrong (often am) but if that is the case it should be a paper exercise to up=plate to the total of the two axle weights. You must be very careful not to exceed the individual axle weights though.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So my question is does the earlier model have a 100k greater payload or does it have a greater MIRO which in effect could give it a similar payload
I would guess yes ,a greater payload,as they rarely have different brakes ,wheel cylinders, shocks ,springs, axles , once you have gone over the 3tonne weight it will all be rated at 3,5 tonnes but just plated lower. It is all very odd & there must be a financial reason the manufacturers specify all these odd weights but I've no idea what it is?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've just posted the forms to SvTech enquiring about upgrading the MVW, I will let you know what they have to say in due course.
I don't know what action the police might take if they pull you over and find your MH overweight, depends what sort of day the copper is having I suppose. There was mention of a 5% leeway but I wouldn't count on it. What ever they throw at you it can't be as bad as causing a fatal incident because you were overloaded and lost control. Oh, and if your insurance company discovered your van was unroadworthy they would definitely not pay out.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The 5% before issuing a penalty is official.
The limits of 3500kg is mostly artificial to allow MHs to be driven on car licences. Most are engineered to carry higher weights.
I agree about not overloading for safety but can't imagine a post accident weighing being successful by the time assorted fluids being spilt...

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The limits of 3500kg is mostly artificial to allow MHs to be driven on car licences. Most are engineered to carry higher weights.
I agree about not overloading for safety but can't imagine a post accident weighing being successful by the time assorted fluids being spilt...
It's only a guide line in the UK.
In Austria they will do you if only slightly over and do you for avoiding tolls as over 3.5t you need a Go box.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Agreed. Most are certified under construction and use for 3850-4000kg and it is a paper excercise to upgrade them.

Therefore the Insurers would be on a sticky wicket to try to deny a claim and driving a vehicle over 3500kg is a matter for the law.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
... can't imagine a post accident weighing being successful by the time assorted fluids being spilt...
Depends on the type of accident I suppose and if fluids have actually been spilt.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Depends on the type of accident I suppose and if fluids have actually been spilt.
One where insurers would go to the effort & expense of trying to accurately weigh a vehicle :unsure:.

TBH, the law enforcers are unlikely to catch you for being a 100kg overweight (uk), they have worse offenders to catch...

PhotoPictureResizer_190527_202101367-600x803.jpg

It's more about knowing your weight to stay within the law & have a margin of safety.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Agreed. Most are certified under construction and use for 3850-4000kg and it is a paper excercise to upgrade them.

Therefore the Insurers would be on a sticky wicket to try to deny a claim and driving a vehicle over 3500kg is a matter for the law.

Geoff
Insurance policies always have a clause that states the vehicle must be road legal and your licence must be valid for the vehicle.

So if it's plated at 3500 and you are over the vehicle is illegal.
If you don't have a C1 and it's over 3500 you are driving it illegally.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If you don't have a C1 and it's over 3500 you are driving it illegally.
Not sure I agree with this, I think your license relates to the plated weight of the vehicle not its actual weight. If you drive a vehicle with a plated weight of 3850kg you need a C1 license, even if it only weighs 3400kg when stopped. Conversely I believe that if your vehicle weighs in over the 3500kg plated weight the offence is one of overloading and probably not of being unlicensed. I would be interested to hear of any prosecutions or refused insurance pay outs on the licensing issue.

I have raised this issue with the DVLA and twice received ambiguous answers that appear to deliberately avoid clarifying the point. This makes me very suspicious that they would rather not admit that going over the C limit is only the lesser offence of driving an overweight vehicle.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure I agree with this, I think your license relates to the plated weight of the vehicle not its actual weight. If you drive a vehicle with a plated weight of 3850kg you need a C1 license, even if it only weighs 3400kg when stopped. Conversely I believe that if your vehicle weighs in over the 3500kg plated weight the offence is one of overloading and probably not of being unlicensed. I would be interested to hear of any prosecutions or refused insurance pay outs on the licensing issue.

I have raised this issue with the DVLA and twice received ambiguous answers that appear to deliberately avoid clarifying the point. This makes me very suspicious that they would rather not admit that going over the C limit is only the lesser offence of driving an overweight vehicle.

You should have asked DVSA(ex-VOSA) as they are the body which does roadside weight checks.

Geoff

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You should have asked DVSA(ex-VOSA) as they are the body which does roadside weight checks.

Geoff
I went to the DVLA as the issuers of the licenses. I got bored with ambiguous answers and suspect DVSA will probably be no different.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I went to the DVLA as the issuers of the licenses. I got bored with ambiguous answers and suspect DVSA will probably be no different.
I found DVSA very helpful when I was talking to them a few years ago about uprating my previous camper, they actually seem to know what they're talking about!

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
So if it's plated at 3500 and you are over the vehicle is illegal.
If you don't have a C1 and it's over 3500 you are driving it ille
No, You are just overweight . You have the correct licence for the vehicle at 3,5T but you are just overloaded.
Things like that when I expect the ambiguous relpy from them I will ask exactly the same question of the EU.You get a definite reply from lawyers that state the facts exactly.
I once asked dvla some questions via email & it took 12 of them before the last reply came from someone who actually knew what they were talking about & was exactly what the EU reply had stated some time previously. At one point I asked the dvla to clarify 5 points on a reply & they answered 4 different questions ?:confused:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
No, You are just overweight . You have the correct licence for the vehicle at 3,5T but you are just overloaded.

Things like that when I expect the ambiguous relpy from them I will ask exactly the same question of the EU.You get a definite reply from lawyers that state the facts exactly.
I once asked dvla some questions via email & it took 12 of them before the last reply came from someone who actually knew what they were talking about & was exactly what the EU reply had stated some time previously. At one point I asked the dvla to clarify 5 points on a reply & they answered 4 different questions ?:confused:

DVLA do not have a Legal Department, would you believe, and refer legal questions to Dft as their sponsoring Government Department as an Agency.

Then Dft Legal Department refer one back to DVLA on licensing matters.

Conclusion Dft and its Agency DVLA are not fit for purpose.

DVSA, although also an Agency of Dft, are in a superior league, but they are largely staffed by trained technicians not clerks.

Geoff

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back