Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am trying to find out the payload for a Fiat Ducato Elnagh SEA 640R I realize this is something I should have found out before putting down a deposit on the vehicle, Having since read articles about MHs having ridiculously low payloads I asked the dealer and he says the only way to find out the mass in running order (MIRO) is to empty the vehicle and have it weighed. To do that would mean calculating and deducting the weight of the top box, bike rack, and wind out canopy etc. Apparently the gross weight axle weights and train weight are the only figures found on the plate, NOT THE MIRO WEIGHT.
If this is the case it obviously makes it impossible to work out the payload unless as the dealer says having it weighed empty or is there another way of finding this out?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We travel fairly light compared to a lot only real extra is a washing machine at 13 kg, no bike rack but e- bikes about 48kg plus 5 kg in locks and chains.
As for extras, factory fitted we had comfort pack which includes drivers door, larger fridge with TecTower oven, electric front roller blind, upgraded hab door, auto gearbox, loads of other bits but not much that adds weight.
Then I have fitted sat dish, TV, 2 extra batteries, inverter, 3 solar panels., Spare wheel, awning.
Just had full air suspension fitted that's only about 50kg.
Wouldn't think about setting off without a full tank of water (160lt). Today is the first day I've been able to get water this week.
As I said a fair bit more than us!!!! Each to their own but the more you weigh the more fuel you will use the worse the performance possibly larger engine weighing more needed and worse handling and the bigger the m/h will be so more weight harder to wildcamp in remote places ( and we often visit friends and park on their driveways which would be hard if any longer ) etc etc. As I said 2 ways of doing it but if he's already bought might have to cut the cloth to fit what there is.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We travel fairly light....a washing machine ......e- bikes, plus 5 kg in locks and chains....... comfort pack which includes drivers door, larger fridge with TecTower oven, electric front roller blind, upgraded hab door, auto gearbox, ........sat dish, TV, 2 extra batteries, inverter, 3 solar panels., Spare wheel, awning.........full air suspension fitted ..........full tank of water (160lt).
o_O That's LIGHT?
Gulp!
I have none whatsoever of the above. I even leave the weight on my shoulders at home ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
o_O That's LIGHT?
Gulp!
I have none whatsoever of the above. I even leave the weight on my shoulders at home ;)
Yep, don't carry anymore junk than we need to.:ROFLMAO:

Our first van only had a low payload but it was a special edition and had TecTower, sat dish, TV & surround sound with sub woofer as standard so didn't need to add much

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
So today I've started loading up the Elnagh and I've called her *?$!%# quite a few times and that's before I stopped for coffee.
The only workings in this vehicle that comes even close to previous caravans I've owned is connecting the gas bottles and lighting the cooker, the rest I'm gradually finding out by trial and error, the hand book is next to useless as its for a Ducato van and not a MH.
It actually started first time but that's about the only exciting thing that's happened so far,
My five year old granddaughter loves it, better than her Wendy House she says, I've told her she can watch her favourite TV programs, just hope this fancy self searching satellite finder works.
I was hoping to remove the top box but its bolted through the roof and the base is sealed with a mastic that's as hard as iron.
There is a red key located on the base of the drivers seat which looks like an main isolating switch for the 12v supply, any ideas? another thing is I can't see any way to fill the electric flush and whether it works on 12v or independent batteries, its the type that has a rotating bowl

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
There is a red key located on the base of the drivers seat which looks like an main isolating switch for the 12v supply, any ideas?
When not on hook-up and with the 'Hab' battery selected (i.e. not the vehicle battery) put the hab lights on and operate the red key. If the lights go on and off it's the hab battery isolator.
another thing is I can't see any way to fill the electric flush and whether it works on 12v or independent batteries, its the type that has a rotating bowl
Ditto the above test for the flush pump. It's highly unlikely to have independent batteries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@wotme glad you are getting the MH sorted , when you get a chance check your tyre ages and pressures.
but No.1 have FUN :)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Once you have bought the van the only weight that matters is MAM or MTPLM - which will be on the plate under the bonnet. Payload is irrelevant until you find you have exceeded it. Load it with what you think you'll need, fill up with fuel (when you've saved up enough to do so :D2), fill the water tank, take wife, and if applicable any kids and dogs, then go and weigh it. Weigh front axle & total - you can subtract front axle from total to give rear axle load. Then you can decide if you have to lighten or (hopefully) have a bit spare for extras (and booze purchases). Not all weighbridges charge such a high fee - some don't charge at all.

Upvote 0
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
@wotme You may find it helpful to download the Motorhome Weight Calculator from "Resources". It is an Excel Spreadsheet that allows you to calculate varying axle weights as you add or remove stuff from your MH.

The Weighbridge weight is taken as the datum, and then by entering the weight of an item that you have added/removed, together with it's position relative to the rear wheels, the new Front and Rear Axle weights are displayed.

Not only will help keep you legal/safe, but also the correct tire pressures can also be determined - usually by contacting the manufacturer, and telling them your axle weights.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Take your caravan hat off, Motorhome loos normally use water from the main tank to flush. They have a non return valve in the pipe and a solenoid that opens & the main pump runs when you press the flush button.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This site might help you find a cheaper weighbridge. I would phone round as the cheapest may not be the nearest.

https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge

The one I used last (at a quarry) was free although they asked for a donation to charity and waved a tin at me to reinforce this! I measured the total weight then drove half off and measured the rear axle. The front axle weight was the difference between the two.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This site might help you find a cheaper weighbridge. I would phone round as the cheapest may not be the nearest.

https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge

The one I used last (at a quarry) was free although they asked for a donation to charity and waved a tin at me to reinforce this! I measured the total weight then drove half off and measured the rear axle. The front axle weight was the difference between the two.
I did the same at a lumber yard but didn't have the tin waved so gave them a fiver for charity as they were so friendly

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes I think I'm making headway, everything I've checked so far is working fine, just hope the hot water and blown air heating behave and I'm there. Lunch time my wife christened one of the seats with red wine, -- great start.
Luckily she had some upholstery cleaner and the stain came out okay.
I'd just like to thank you all for your posts, much appreciated, will let you know how things work out weight wise

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes I think I'm making headway, everything I've checked so far is working fine, just hope the hot water and blown air heating behave and I'm there. Lunch time my wife christened one of the seats with red wine, -- great start.
Luckily she had some upholstery cleaner and the stain came out okay.
I'd just like to thank you all for your posts, much appreciated, will let you know how things work out weight wise
Im sure ti will have had wine spilt before just don't start drinking out of porros
daad352c4c53b4430f1c69a9a070d774.jpg

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Ditto the red wine comments.

You can buy your own weighing scales for about 120 nicker from germany on ebay. Same cost as getting your van s axles weighed and a full weight.

They are heavy though so you might not be able to take them with you !

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ditto the red wine comments.

You can buy your own weighing scales for about 120 nicker from germany on ebay. Same cost as getting your van s axles weighed and a full weight.

They are heavy though so you might not be able to take them with you !
But if you can get it done free and as it was almost 300kg below the limit almost fully loaded why not save the money for more wine!!!!

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
But if you can get it done free and as it was almost 300kg below the limit almost fully loaded why not save the money for more wine!!!!
But i can buy the exact amount of wine i can legally carry.
Might get done for having too much but i wont be overweight.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Only just brought it home M-J, I've never driven a motorhome before and I can't say it was an enjoyable experience.
The steering felt extremely light and the handling on minor roads was at first a bit of an issue but on the motorway at 60mph with high-ish cross winds it behaved surprisingly stable. The 2.8 power unit is exactly twice the size fitted in my Kodiak but it has a fraction of the 4X4s performance. I'm not sure if it will have the guts to climb a 1 in 20 let alone a 1 in 3. I soon realized that travelling in a home on wheels is far from relaxing even when crawling along at a snails pace. Surely similar 2007 coach builds can't all be the same
You should have hired one before you bought it. Comparing it to your car is wrong, compare it to a house on wheels instead (y)

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Take your caravan hat off, Motorhome loos normally use water from the main tank to flush. They have a non return valve in the pipe and a solenoid that opens & the main pump runs when you press the flush button.

And following on from that, pinch a spray bottle from the kitchen at home. Put a healthy dose of 'Pink' deodoriser into it and fill with clean water. Then, whenever you use the toilet, spray the bowl after use and it will keep it smelling sweet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wotme

wotme

Free Member
Sep 26, 2018
new forest
Funster No
MH
Sold it!
Exp
I'm a newbie
I eventually got my Elnagh to a weighbridge and the results were not brilliant but not a total disaster.
I've just discovered a similar model Elnagh two years older with the exact dimensions and layout as mine but has a gross weight 100k more. --- WHY?
The only thing I can think of if it has the same payload the chassis structure is possibly heavier

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I eventually got my Elnagh to a weighbridge and the results were not brilliant but not a total disaster.
I've just discovered a similar model Elnagh two years older with the exact dimensions and layout as mine but has a gross weight 100k more. --- WHY?
The only thing I can think of if it has the same payload the chassis structure is possibly heavier
It may well have different optional extras fitted, from automatic gearbox to awning and everything in between.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sorry, I maybe read that a bit wrong. Do you mean gross weight on the plate? Yes, maybe chassis or wheels upgrade.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Well are you going to tell us or is it too embarrassing.

Probably been uprated to give an extra 100 kg of payload, weight of the van will be the same.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Only just brought it home M-J, I've never driven a motorhome before and I can't say it was an enjoyable experience.
The steering felt extremely light and the handling on minor roads was at first a bit of an issue but on the motorway at 60mph with high-ish cross winds it behaved surprisingly stable. The 2.8 power unit is exactly twice the size fitted in my Kodiak but it has a fraction of the 4X4s performance. I'm not sure if it will have the guts to climb a 1 in 20 let alone a 1 in 3. I soon realized that travelling in a home on wheels is far from relaxing even when crawling along at a snails pace. Surely similar 2007 coach builds can't all be the same
Ive got the 2.8jtd and it pulls like a train,you shouldn’t have any problems with steep hills. My only advice would be to get the engine and gearbox up to normal running temperature before changing up into fifth gear.....and to treat fifth gear like an “overdrive”......I guess you are old enough to know what they were!
You will get to enjoy driving her, but don’t rush,enjoy the view!
If the steering is too light it may be that your front tyres are pumped up too much. Lots of threads on here about tyre pressures!
:D

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
C'mon ... spill the beans, what are the weights? :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back