Payload (1 Viewer)

Wendywuwu1968

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Still doing my research, but I have a few questions:
1. I know about payload with caravans but how does it effect things with a motor home?
2. Struggling to find second-hand vans under 20k, where's the best place to look?
3. I saw a video saying it's recommended to wind the awning in every night in case it gets windy, do people do this?
4. Last one for now, and probably a daft one but when filling water on site, do you drive the van over the taps? And empty grey water and toilet whilst there?
Sorry but sometimes it's the simple things that worry me!

Wendy x

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Wendy
Welcome to the forum.
1. Payload is still a consideration with a motorhome and it varies from van to van, always check the payload of the van you are looking at so you know it will work for you, considering the gear you will carry, passengers etc.
2. Always worth keeping an eye on the classifieds section on the forum, there's been some lovely vans on there in your price range.
3. If wind is forecast then I think most would wind in their awning
4. Most sites have motorhome service points where can drive the van to empty waste over a drain, fill up with water and there will be an Elsan point for emptying your toilet somewhere on site, quite often near the service points.
Good luck with your search.
Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
w2fregarding winding in awning if you havent got the safari room attached i would wind it in at nights or in the day if it gets windy. i have had no trouble with mine in the wind with the safari room on. ebay seems the best place to start for vans under 20k but watch out for the crooks if souds to cheap to be true it will be a con. best of luck in your search.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A good place to find MH for sale is the sake section of the various owners club forums as well as the forum on this site of course. Some people who find one for sale online, enlist the advice of funsters on this forum. There are some wise old sages here!

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
As above plus i think you can access the for sales on the CMC and CCC sites without being a member. Read only obviously.

Auto trader Gumtree and pre loved possibly?

Good luck with your search

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
Wendy this has also been worrying me too. I'm not the best with numbers etc and it sounds a nightmare. I've not seen one MH advertised yet with a pay load?

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Re your point 4 @Wendywuwu1968 , most people do just what you say re the fresh and waste water at the service point.

It is however bad form to park at the service point while empty and cleaning toilet cassette, the vehicle should be parked away from the service point when your at the stage of dealing with the cassette so that others can use the fill or empty facility .

It's immensely frustrating to be parked up clearly waiting for the fill up/grey dump facility while someone has left their vehicle there while the disappear for 10 minutes dealing with the toilet.

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Regarding payload, take any potentil purchase to a weighbridge. Manufacturers 'payloads' do not include things like awnings bikeracks second batteries, solar panels tv aerial/satelite dishes. Some are overweight before you get in the drivers seat. Water filling? we used to take a hose, now use a watering can, no need to move the van if stopped on a site for a while. We do carry a container for draining waste water into, it helps prevent smells in really hot weather. Having said that, we don't always use it and drop waste when leaving the site or aire. Toilet? I empty it every day, this casette doesn't have wheels and gets heavy if allowed to get full, do have a trolley for those times when i can't carry it too far. Nothing worse than getting up at 3 in the morning desperate and finding that the casette needs emptying Found:madder:

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Good idea to ask the seller to get a weighbridge docket for you asking for front and rear axle weights at least that will tell you what you are up against as regards payload.(y)(y)(y)
Welcome to the forum:welco:

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
If you are checking payloads as a paper exercise check how the unladen weight is defined by the converter. My Burstner was with driver and 90% fuel water and gas. But others may have different baselines.

Regarding filling and emptying I have found that UK campsites are not as accommodating as those on the continent especially regarding grey waste. Not always a convenient drain to park a MH over. Best to carry a container to empty into. Check height of grey waste outlet to check it fits. As others have said a watering can is a flexible way to fill fresh water. A bit slow sometimes but why be in a hurry!
I find my grey waste takes a while to drain so I do the toilet cassette while this is happening (if emptying over a drain).

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's immensely frustrating to be parked up clearly waiting for the fill up/grey dump facility while someone has left their vehicle there while the disappear for 10 minutes dealing with the toilet.

I find my grey waste takes a while to drain so I do the toilet cassette while this is happening (if emptying over a drain).

I usually do the cassette as he does grey waste and fresh water at a service point. That way if he gets done before me and someone is waiting we can move. :) My pet hate is when someone has done the empty and fill and then goes to the loo leaving their van parked and filling the service bay.

If there isn't a service point we put a bucket under the grey waste pipe and empty at the specified place a couple of times a day. We have a long hose for filling but if that is too short then a container and funnel or watering can work well. I don't see the point of moving the van for filling and discharging water if they need doing when pitched up for a few days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back