Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is a bit weird that Carthago list an upgrade to 3850kg for the other models in the range but only 3700kg for the I138, all on the lightweight chassis.
Yeah, weird innit! You'd think it would be the same for all of the Compactline models.

Perhaps they want to 'encourage' buyers who want more capacity to get the longer, and more expensive Compactline models and thus make the shorter i-138 appear to have a more limited uprate capacity. Cynical ... moi? :laughing:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yeah, weird innit! You'd think it would be the same for all of the Compactline models.

Perhaps they want to 'encourage' buyers who want more capacity to get the longer, and more expensive Compactline models and thus make the shorter i-138 appear to have a more limited uprate capacity. Cynical ... moi? :laughing:
It does appear to have more to do with the mystical art of marketing than the science of engineering.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Been in contact with John from J R Consultancy he is very quick to get back, sent all my details had a invoive off him today in the post and should be sorted in next 7 days.

He said i need to send V5 off myself to do the uprate, just wondered if this us the same with svtech or do they do it for you.
No big issue as i can do this no problem and i am saving £132 on svtech prices plus they have still not come back to me been over a week now so john got my business

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Been in contact with John from J R Consultancy he is very quick to get back, sent all my details had a invoive off him today in the post and should be sorted in next 7 days.

He said i need to send V5 off myself to do the uprate, just wondered if this us the same with svtech or do they do it for you.
No big issue as i can do this no problem and i am saving £132 on svtech prices plus they have still not come back to me been over a week now so john got my business

I'm pretty sure my mate sent his own V5 off when dealing with JR, no biggie as you say, and £132 still in your pocket.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I'm pretty sure my mate sent his own V5 off when dealing with JR, no biggie as you say, and £132 still in your pocket.

Yes just had a look just need to fill in section 7 of the logbook and send it off with the proof from John then it should come back at 4800kg which will mean I have loads and loads of payload ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Yes you needs to send it off yourself - ideally with a covering letter telling them exactly what you want doing so that hopefully they update the Revenue and MAM sections, the latter often being missed. Don't send the originals from John though, just a copy of his covering letter and the plating info he sends you.

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Did my 75-2 with John cost £150 road tax comes down to165 pound so second year road tax saved 180 pound 30 quid up and not over weight

Oct 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
New MH but campervan owner for a couple of years
Just spoken with John this morning, on the number mentioned by Peter and Julie above, 10min chat and advised we can up plate to 2250 rear and 2000 on the front.

Have provided info he requested and he advises can turn round paperwork, plate and instructions sharpish once he’s reviewed my info and I’ve paid, FYI £180 total.

Seems like a genuine guy based on my chat and info provided from others. Will leave feedback at end of process, but may sanity check what I’m sending off to dvla with the knowledgeable folk on here, just to be sure I don’t trip myself up with our wonderful government dept!

cheers.

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
So much positive information, were due to go to the weighbridge In the couple of weeks, (y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have always been an advocate of the services of John Ruffles, since my initial enquiry to upgrade our Hymer from 5000Kgs to 5500Kgs several years ago, which he did quite expertly..........................apart from a digit or two wrong in the initial paperwork provided. That was soon put right by him. (y)

On this occasion, with a totally different vehicle, I am struggling to obtain the same level of service. I contacted John on 25th January, with all the details and images he needed of the vehicle, V5, chassis base plate, and converter's plate, etc, to up plate our current MH, to which John responded to, and gave his advice and opinion. Great, lets go for it we thought. (y)

After much chasing up since then, including a phone call to him today from Spain, (which was cut off :mad: ), which I then followed up by an email straight away, I am no further forward than I was on 25th January, ie, having received an email response from him, asking me what it is I want, and to send the details required.
Gordon ................... Bennett. :(

Although it's not in the great scheme of things, our MH could have been up plated a month ago.
I do think that John requires the services of an administrator/secretary, to look after communications and documentation, whilst he concentrates on the engineering aspect of things. :(

Watch this space. :whatthe:

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
On this occasion, with a totally different vehicle, I am struggling to obtain the same level of service. I contacted John on 25th January, with all the details and images he needed of the vehicle, V5, chassis base plate, and converter's plate, etc, to up plate our current MH, to which John responded to, and gave his advice and opinion.
Update.....................

Having since sent all the relevant details and images again, I have just had an email from John Ruffles, confirming the up plate of the GVM from 6000Kgs to 6850Kgs, and the GTM from 9000Kgs to 9500Kgs. :)

Thank you John, we got there in the end. (y)

Cheers,

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Just spoken with John this morning, on the number mentioned by Peter and Julie above, 10min chat and advised we can up plate to 2250 rear and 2000 on the front.

Have provided info he requested and he advises can turn round paperwork, plate and instructions sharpish once he’s reviewed my info and I’ve paid, FYI £180 total.

Seems like a genuine guy based on my chat and info provided from others. Will leave feedback at end of process, but may sanity check what I’m sending off to dvla with the knowledgeable folk on here, just to be sure I don’t trip myself up with our wonderful government dept!

cheers.
He told me I could go to 4100kg on our 35L Alko chassis after being provided with all the tyre, wheel, chassis, suspension information, nice guy, sounds genuinely helpful but gave wrong, potentially dangerous and illegal information.
We got sorted by SV Tech at their artificially high charge to 3850kg but at least it’s all legal.
I wonder if there are now a good few motorhomes running around with the wrong weights.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
He told me I could go to 4100kg on our 35L Alko chassis after being provided with all the tyre, wheel, chassis, suspension information, nice guy, sounds genuinely helpful but gave wrong, potentially dangerous and illegal information.
John is one of DVLA's consultant engineers, just as SVTech are, which is why I am surprised that you feel you were given wrong information. :whatthe:

Out of curiosity, can I ask please, what info gave you reason to feel that John's up plating info was wrong?
I personally don't know anything about the ALKO 35L chassis. Is it a chassis a for a GVM of 3500Kgs?

Cheers,

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
John is one of DVLA's consultant engineers, just as SVTech are, which is why I am surprised that you feel you were given wrong information. :whatthe:

Out of curiosity, can I ask please, what info gave you reason to feel that John's up plating info was wrong?
I personally don't know anything about the ALKO 35L chassis. Is it a chassis a for a GVM of 3500Kgs?

Cheers,

The 35L is only approved to be increased to 3850 max when combined with air assist and appropriate tyres. JR should know this as one of DVLA’s approved engineers. My impression of him was that he was not knowledgeable enough regarding motor homes to put my trust in him. When questioned on his recommendation he just stopped communicating.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Confused, I thought the 35L could go up to 3850kg without air assist but no further. Some manufacturers plate them at 3850kg as an option.

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Confused, I thought the 35L could go up to 3850kg without air assist but no further. Some manufacturers plate them at 3850kg as an option.
Probably can, though definitely can’t go to 4100kg which is what JR recommended for ours.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Probably can, though definitely can’t go to 4100kg which is what JR recommended for ours.

If J R said it can be done how do you know it cant has another person told you this if so who us correct and why ?????

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Our Carthago Compactline I 138 is played at 4,250kg. Bought it a couple of weeks ago from Southdowns Motorhomes.

• Nice One!
Reactions: f6c
Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
My understanding is that the 35L chassis is good for 3850kg, of which 2000kg max on the rear axle with no mods. Any upgrade from there needs 225/70 R16 tyres on the rear and air-assist on the rear axle.

215/70 R15 are good for 1030kg per wheel or 2060 per axle, so maybe? there’s an option to uprate to 2060 on the rear axle but without the air suspension I would expect you are still limited to 3850kg overall.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Just read this on out and about website.

New technology means that your motorhome can be weighed while it’s in motion and many motorways have this technology built in. It’s linked to cameras that detect number plates and can automatically compare the vehicle’s actual weight with its registered weight. This weight-in-motion (WIM) system was primarily brought in to tackle overladen trucks, but works just as effectively on motorhomes. We know VOSA has targeted vehicles leaving or arriving at motorhome shows in the past. We understand there are at least 12 WIMs in the road network but some estimates now put this at nearer 50.

If you’re caught driving an overweight motorhome, you’ll either get an on-the-spot fine of up to £300 per offence, or be issued with a court summons. If the motorhome is deemed unsafe, you may be prevented from carrying on with your journey.

A roads from now on for me. Bloody Smart motorways Boo Hiss

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The axle weights on my 35L are 1850kg and 2000kg, with 225/75 R16 tyres.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our Carthago Compactline I 138 is played at 4,250kg. Bought it a couple of weeks ago from Southdowns Motorhomes.
Er ... Compactline? :unsure: You've got a chubby baby haven't you? :giggle: ... yes I AM jealous that you have the heavy chassis but I wouldn't swap mine for a 'fatty'! ;):ROFLMAO:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I like the handling of the Al-Ko lightweight chassis. Is the heavier Fiat f40 chassis as good?

Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
If J R said it can be done how do you know it cant has another person told you this if so who us correct and why ?????
<Broken link removed>
ALKO say the 35L can only be 3500kg and the 37L is 3700kg, 38L 3850kg
SV Tech, Mick at SAP and AS Suspension all said air had to be added to increase to 3850kg and that was the max it could go to.
Our rear axle is now rated at 2240kg because of the air assist and the 225/70 15 112 index tyres. We never get anywhere near the 1850kg standard front weight limit (usually about 1650kg) as most weight is generally on the rear axle on most motorhomes.
Just upgrading, paper exercise, doesn’t change the rear axles weight limits.
Just adding our axle weights would give us 4190kg as the front is 1950kg with Goldsmitt (? Spelling) springs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back