Payload - Important or Not, do we need a law to ensure all vans sold MUST be weighed at time of sale? (1 Viewer)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Y
If a van driver wishes to drive a motorhome he can, but a separation of commercial and domestic use is not unreasonable or unusual.
[/QUOTE
You are missing the vital point human nature. Why should he have the right to drive X weight and I am not. If I owned a van completely I would object to and would go for human rights etc etc. It wont happen simple.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
There is so much chatter on this important subject related to what you can and cannot do/ legal or not legal/ fine or no fine/dangerous or not, invalidate insurance or not. It is difficult to differentiate between ‘informed’ or not so well informed comments.
Rather than worry about ways of getting around this important aspect somehow or other why don’t we simply accept the details on the plate that’s in attached to the bodywork specifically for that vehicle. Overloading a vehicle beyond the plate may or may not be influenced by any of the points made earlier. Not an engineer but common sense says putting additional load on the vehicle beyond the plate will influence the driving characteristics of the vehicle as it’s beyond what the ‘experts’ have defined. As would driving too fast or bald tires, under the influence etc and therefore until the there is an alternative system why don’t we just get on with it.
If only it was that simple.

My van and many like it are built on a heavy chassis which are designed and safe to drive up to 4500kg. Mine left the factory plated at 3500kg to suit licence requirements for the young and old, so I had it uprated to its design weight of 4500kg to suit my personal requirements.
Had I left it at 3500kg and inadvertently loaded it to 3550kg, I would be classed as overweight, but it would not have an adverse effect on the driving characteristics of the van.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We can’t all have what we want, my neighbour has more money than me , I want more :crying:
Are you any different or special wanting different rules because you own a motorhome. No we are all the same and I would see it as treating people equally. But maybe everyone is equal just some are more equal than others.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
If only it was that simple.

My van and many like it are built on a heavy chassis which are designed and safe to drive up to 4500kg. Mine left the factory plated at 3500kg to suit licence requirements for the young and old, so I had it uprated to its design weight of 4500kg to suit my personal requirements.
Had I left it at 3500kg and inadvertently loaded it to 3550kg, I would be classed as overweight, but it would not have an adverse effect on the driving characteristics of the van.
I think you are making my point by officially uprating the plate you are then working within the new criteria for the vehicle - sorted and also quite simple with no debate about flying under the radar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Are you any different or special wanting different rules because you own a motorhome. No we are all the same and I would see it as treating people equally. But maybe everyone is equal just some are more equal than others.

This is not about people it’s about suitability of vehicles and the law relating to them.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
One of the main reasons that commercial vans are under 3.5t is so that they do not need tacos. Fine for being over weight are the same for the driver if it is a motorhome or commercial. However if a commercial van is over weight they go after the company as well. If they run hgv they could lose their operators license
in Spain most refrigerated box vans run at 3,5t with an uw of over 3,3t. I can assure you no company puts less than 200kgs of product in a 12cubic metre box.

Will be fine after the 31st October ;)
rules stay the same until individual laws are rescinded,if required.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
This is not about people it’s about suitability of vehicles and the law relating to them.
So my van is not suitable for my transport buisness but my drivers can not drive bigger on his license can you change the law to suit my drivers.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So my van is not suitable for my transport buisness but my drivers can not drive bigger on his license can you change the law to suit my drivers.

If you have bought a van for your business I’m sure you would have ensured it was suitable for your purposes in advance and if you need heavier load carrying capacity a larger vehicle and drivers with the necessary licence.

IMO motorhomes and commercial load carrying vehicles are different issues.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Such a small change to the law. and the creation of a "Motorhome" category, Could very likely be done as an executive deicision, without need for parliamentary scrutiny. Many other decisions have been so made over the years. What would happen of course is the the VED rate would almost certainly Increase!.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Such a small change to the law. and the creation of a "Motorhome" category, Could very likely be done as an executive deicision, without need for parliamentary scrutiny. Many other decisions have been so made over the years. What would happen of course is the the VED rate would almost certainly Increase!.

Be worth an extra cost to bring legality to thousands of motorhome drivers.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Doubt it most of them wouldn't bother to uprate.

You would hope that notification from DVLA that their licence now legalised driving a motorhome up to -000kgs would prompt most to take action, or not :RollEyes:

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
45% were overweight. 10% of those by a LOT
From my experience of a 3500kg Motorhomes I doubt if many are not overweight, what I think should happen is the current 3500 kgs. Should be 4500kgs and driven on a car licence. After all Artic Trucks went from 32 tonnes to 44 on same licence, technology has also moved on .The Industry should be approaching government, but, as they sell everything they make their attitude seems to be why should we care
Tony A

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back