Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
It's our first trip to France in our recently acquired Burstner A class van which only has a habitation door - no driver and passenger doors. Driving on the "wrong side of the road" it's my job to pay at toll booths. Sometimes I have been known to drop the money and have to get out to pick it up - not so bad when you have a passenger door (if there is room to open it) but now will require running around the van from our one and only door on the other side. I only have short arms so have decided to put the money in a sieve and hold it out to the attendant who hopefully will put the the ticket and change back in.

Has anyone else tried this or has a better idea? - please don't suggest a fishing net - too long to store!

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Sounds a great idea to me!

Alternatively avoid tolls altogether and enjoy the countryside.

Steve

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
tolls

We do avoid tolls but usually take one as far as Reims for example where the countryside is a bit ordinary. Sometimes driving through a lot of little towns with their sleeping policemen and speed restrictions can be a bit tedious in the less pretty areas. We do stick to just under 60 even on toll roads for fuel economy.

Another reason for the occasional toll road is that I don't mind driving on good dual carriageways to give my partner a break but am not very brave on small lanes or busy streets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Don't use toll roads, to expensive, normal N or D roads are just as good and do not cost you ::bigsmile:

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Oh dear!

Many of the toll booths are now automatic and self service. Your arms will have to lengthen considerably to put the coins in the slot let alone collect your change if you put a note in the machine.

I would suggest drawing up to the barrier so the system can recognize which class you are and you getting out (and slim) by running around to the machine.

Good Luck.

PS I would like to be the vehicle behind you to watch your antics especially if you drop a coin or two!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have the LiberT tag system.

It's been great this year. No fishing for change , just drive up to the barrier:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we use toll roads often, they are expensive but if you want to get somewhere quickly and generally on a qiet road this is it.

we always use the credit card to pay as most tolls are automated..... i know some will say " the xchange rate and charges " and all that.

but its so simple and you have a complete record of spend and the card charges are minimal compared to what you spend on fuel and the trip in general.

good luck and enjoy your trip.:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It's our first trip to France in our recently acquired Burstner A class van which only has a habitation door - no driver and passenger doors. Driving on the "wrong side of the road" it's my job to pay at toll booths. Sometimes I have been known to drop the money and have to get out to pick it up - not so bad when you have a passenger door (if there is room to open it) but now will require running around the van from our one and only door on the other side. I only have short arms so have decided to put the money in a sieve and hold it out to the attendant who hopefully will put the the ticket and change back in.

Has anyone else tried this or has a better idea? - please don't suggest a fishing net - too long to store!

June....Here's a tip that we use . in a few countries....(France,Spain,Portugal)..When we have to use the toll, as we normally avoid them in France...........The motorhomes we have had, we found the ticket that comes out of the machine for you to take ...It has always been either to low:Doh: .....so cars can take the ticket ........or toooooooo high:Doh: for the lorries to take the ticket....none in the middle:Doh:

A PICK UP STICK that they give to the disabled.......works fine.... saves me undoing my seat belt, saves me putting the hand brake on and putting the vehicle into neutral, then standing up near the door to reach out for the ticket up or down....just push the pick up stick out of the window grab the ticket and off we go.....SIMPLES::bigsmile:

Test it with a piece of paper /card...to make sure it does not slip..before you buy...look in the pound shops.....We have a good pick up stick..like this one (the better of the two)

Link Removed

And a cheap one purchased from a Chinese hardware shop in Spain for 1 euro...( the cheap one, I had to stick some none slip material on the tips)after that it works fine....like this one.
Link Removed
Link Removed

.Brill:thumb:

Link Removed

Mel:thumb:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
www.saneftolling.co.uk

It's brilliant. Sailing past the queues is a smug feeling.

That's what I've got:thumb:

It's good but we did get held up a few times when the camera decided we were class 3 ( in the UK you cannot buy a class 3 pass) so you roll up and nothing happens. A quick call on the intercom gets you on your way when they realise you are a class 2.

In Spain we were class 1 but you can't use your LiberT thingy in Spain.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
tolls

What's a liberT? Also what class are we? We have a Burstner A Class just under 6 metres

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
June....Here's a tip that we use . in a few countries....(France,Spain,Portugal)..When we have to use the toll, as we normally avoid them in France...........The motorhomes we have had, we found the ticket that comes out of the machine for you to take ...It has always been either to low:Doh: .....so cars can take the ticket ........or toooooooo high:Doh: for the lorries to take the ticket....none in the middle:Doh:

A PICK UP STICK that they give to the disabled.......works fine.... saves me undoing my seat belt, saves me putting the hand brake on and putting the vehicle into neutral, then standing up near the door to reach out for the ticket up or down....just push the pick up stick out of the window grab the ticket and off we go.....SIMPLES::bigsmile:

Test it with a piece of paper /card...to make sure it does not slip..before you buy...look in the pound shops.....We have a good pick up stick..like this one (the better of the two)

Link Removed

And a cheap one purchased from a Chinese hardware shop in Spain for 1 euro...( the cheap one, I had to stick some none slip material on the tips)after that it works fine....like this one.
Link Removed
Link Removed

.Brill:thumb:

Link Removed

Mel:thumb:
Thanks for the advice. I have a pick-up stick left over from a hip operation. I'll put it on board.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
paying at tolls

Thanks to all the helpful people who've replied to my post.

More help required! How do you reply to individual replies. I can see how to thank but there isn't always a "reply" to click on. I haven't really sussed out all this motorhome technology.

Last edited:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I used to travel on business on my own on the Continent. I found a small child's fishing net was useful to put the money in and pass to the cashier through the passenger side window. Then wait for him or her to put the change in. Simples.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010

More help required! How do you reply to individual replies. I can see how to thank but there isn't always a "reply" to click on. I haven't really sussed out all this motorhome technology.

Hello and welcome to the funster community. To reply to a specific messge do as I have done here. Use the 'Quote Post' button immediately under the message itself. This opens up a reply box with the message you want to reply to already showing. Just add your reply beneath. (Try it, it's easier than it sounds)

Alternatively you can send a Private Message which does not appear in the thread if it is something you don't wish others to see, usually something like your phone number or details of a financial transaction that you don't want seen by other forum members. - Not good for general messages as other members miss out on the chat.

Hope that helps

Wyn

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

To reply to individuals, click on the person's name anywhere you see it.... in the avatar..on a reply to your thread...at the bottom of the home page where you see all the funsters online..anywhere you see the person's name ...click on it....then click on "send a private message to ?????",

Mel

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14

Sorry, I did suggest it. Should have read the entire post or gone to Specsavers.
John

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Slightly off topic but as a first timer your driver needs to know.

Do not move away from the machine at all until you have returned to your seat AND put your seatbelt on!

Very often you will be being watched and are likely to be stopped immediately you leave the barrier.

Have fun.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Toll booths

As Heyupluv says the tickets are at the wrong height for vans.

My wife is disabled (in the LH front seat) and it became too difficult for her to reach.

Now as I slow for the toll booth I put on the hazard lights, the cars following (presumeably) recognise the GB reg and move over to other booths while the (annoying) Brit gets out and takes the ticket or pays on the automatic ones - usually even on the automatic ones there is an attendant somewhere around.

My wife can reach to pay on the attended booths but we then need to take a stick for her to push the wing mirror back into position !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back