Paying in advance for new motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Been down to see them. They are OK for me to pay the balance on my debit card on the day but won’t release the van if the payment has a problem which is obviously OK as very local.

When it is all done and dusted and you are happy, maybe you should let them see this thread - it might educate them about what most buyers think of advance payment.

Geoff

OP
OP

Deleted User
That’s what I thought but when I phoned Nationwide but they said it would be OK and in case they haven’t any way of recoding that I will be doing a large future payment

Looks like things have moved in since the days when we had local bank branches.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Been down to see them. They are OK for me to pay the balance on my debit card on the day but won’t release the van if the payment has a problem which is obviously OK as very local.

Is there a limit to what you can pay out on a Debit Card in one day?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
Had a call with them. Justification is that as soon as they register it they have to pay off the loan company and they say it takes 10 days to register a motorhome unlike a car which is instant. Don’t know if this is true. His justification is the problem with cash flow if I was to pull out of the deal having only given them a £2000 deposit. He then said he would accept 50% in advance and issue paperwork. After further discussion, he said he would accept £10000 as commitment from me. Think I can live with that. I do live 6 miles from the dealer. Probably go in and see them tomorrow.

I'm afraid he his telling a porky regards registration. We bought a new motorhome last year and like many others only paid a small deposit with the balance on collect. The v5 arrived 4 days later.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That’s what I thought but when I phoned Nationwide but they said it would be OK and in case they haven’t any way of recoding that I will be doing a large future payment

Looks like things have moved in since the days when we had local bank branches.

We rang the bank 3 times to check it would be ok. We were assured it would. When the dealer delivered the van ... guess what? It wasn’t. We had to make a top up payment the next day. When we rang to do that, the dealer had forgotten we needed to.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Lloyds used to cap payments via Bank transfer in one day.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
If a large company that sells Motorhomes for hundreds of thousands of pounds can’t wait until they hand over the goods and get the money the same day then their accounts department need shooting.....

But on the other side of things I’ve had to pay 4K for a holiday six weeks before I’ve had the pleasure of the goods....:D2

Haven’t we all done that.....:D

OP
OP

Deleted User
I cant find any details of the limit but when I phoned before they didn't say it would be a problem. There is an issue that with a debit card, that although the payment will definitely happen, the recipient doesn't get the money for 2 days. If I do a Chaps payment, then if I do it before 3 pm they will get the money that day though it will cost me £20. Nationwide states that Chaps payments are unlimited.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is there a limit to what you can pay out on a Debit Card in one day?
AFAIK there isn't a limit assuming you have sufficient cleared funds in the account it's linked to, it's not the same as you moving money out from one account to another, eg via internet banking, where there are daily limits.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
On no account pay balance until collection. Remember to discuss your plans with your bank. Because it is a Carthago they are unable to register on line so most Carthago dealers apply for vehicle registration 7/10 days prior to collection. If the dealer insists on payment prior to collection either cancel the order and request deposit return or if it is what you really want, arrange a finance agreement (HP), say for 24 months, then wait a month or two to ensure all is well and then pay off the agreement in full. No penalty for settling HP agreements early but may cost a small amount of interest and a document fee which you can negotiate. If there is a problem early doors the motorhome is owned by the finance company not you so you will have protection and help if the brown stuff hits the fan!

Deleted User
I cant find any details of the limit but when I phoned before they didn't say it would be a problem. There is an issue that with a debit card, that although the payment will definitely happen, the recipient doesn't get the money for 2 days. If I do a Chaps payment, then if I do it before 3 pm they will get the money that day though it will cost me £20. Nationwide states that Chaps payments are unlimited.
I am with Nationwide, I also rang them to let them know I would be paying in full on my debit card a few weeks ago. They said they had no way of putting a flag on my account, however, the automated system would know it was OK, and it was!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The finance option may work. we bought some furniture from a high street shop. They were not able to deliver for about 6 weeks but wanted full payment up front. When I refused they offered finance, I took the finance and when the furniture was due to be delivered I called the store and cancelled the finance and paid the bill with a credit card. No cost at all. Credit card will not work with a MOHO so keeping the finance for a month or 2 sound like a good plan.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back