Paying in advance for new motorhome (1 Viewer)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I wouldn’t have an issue putting a deposit of say 2k via credit card.
That way your covered if any issues, then balance on collection.

Bank transfer is ok but make arrangements for large amounts first.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wouldn’t have an issue putting a deposit of say 2k via credit card.
That way your covered if any issues, then balance on collection.

Bank transfer is ok but make arrangements for large amounts first.
Actually thats another idea ask a rise in credit limit and pay by card . Pay off in full so no interest and it will be protected by the card guarantee........I think!. Or just say its cash when its ready or forget the deal and you want the deposit back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If a company is on the verge of going bust and are expecting £10,000 to walk through the door, the Directors are not going to declare it in liquidation the day before are they?

No, they will take the £10,000, pay their back salaries/bonuses and then go bust.

Geoff

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Actually thats another idea ask a rise in credit limit and pay by card . Pay off in full so no interest and it will be protected by the card guarantee........I think!. Or just say its cash when its ready or forget the deal and you want the deposit back.

Unfortunately the upper limit for credit card protection is £30000.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Any reason you can’t you two cards.

That’s a general question as I don’t know the answer.
I think it's all to do with the total purchase price. Even if you just paid the deposit on it, it wouldn't be covered as the total purchase price is over £30000.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The company that fleeced me also conned dozens of others. One buyer in Scotland paid in full on the Wednesday and they were delivering his new van on the Friday when the company went bust.
The delivery driver was ordered to turn back at Berwick so the buyer lost over £68,000.
He has no chance of recovering any monies out of his payments.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Unfortunately the upper limit for credit card protection is £30000.
I mean,t the £10k payment the op was talking about making in advance of collection not the full amount. If it was me I would resent being hassled however politely to pay up front we are moving house I bet the total payment for this m/h is more than houses in some parts of the country no one would expect to pay for a house in advance of it being finnished and the deposit is held by solicitors until its at the point of completion.

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I mean,t the £10k payment the op was talking about making in advance of collection not the full amount. If it was me I would resent being hassled however politely to pay up front we are moving house I bet the total payment for this m/h is more than houses in some parts of the country no one would expect to pay for a house in advance of it being finnished and the deposit is held by solicitors until its at the point of completion.[/QUOTE]

As in my post number 3 above.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Had a call with them. Justification is that as soon as they register it they have to pay off the loan company and they say it takes 10 days to register a motorhome unlike a car which is instant. Don’t know if this is true. His justification is the problem with cash flow if I was to pull out of the deal having only given them a £2000 deposit. He then said he would accept 50% in advance and issue paperwork. After further discussion, he said he would accept £10000 as commitment from me. Think I can live with that. I do live 6 miles from the dealer. Probably go in and see them tomorrow.
If you live that close u would at least call in and make sure the motorhome is there at least I would not want to pay the balance until after hand over but if you are going to pay a further sum then make sure its linked to the ownership of the van by paperwork. The v5 is not proof of ownership only the transaction receipt is.
Be careful.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Also, if he requires the payment in order to repay finance on the van, the dealer's lender may have an interest in the van. If the dealer is so cash-strapped, what guarantee do you have that the dealer will use your money to pay off the loan on your van? As an earlier poster has said, (Minxy Girl message #26 above) there may be a general loan to the dealer rather than attached to your van.
It's generally unlawful to sell a vehicle subject to finance.
Take the advice of all on here urging extreme caution.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes and of course you would expect the solicitors fees to be paid by the dealer in that case

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
The way the dealer finances his vans is his business and he shouldn’t even have discussed this with you. The fact that they did discuss it and were then prepared to "negotiate" smacks of desperation to get as much money as they can from you as quickly as possible for reasons only they know. Please don’t pay them anything till you have the keys in your hand.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
I mean,t the £10k payment the op was talking about making in advance of collection not the full amount. If it was me I would resent being hassled however politely to pay up front we are moving house I bet the total payment for this m/h is more than houses in some parts of the country no one would expect to pay for a house in advance of it being finnished and the deposit is held by solicitors until its at the point of completion.

Still wouldn't make any difference as it is all to do with the total purchase price. The £10k deposit wouldn't be covered as the total purchase price is over £30k.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Please don’t pay them anything till you have the keys in your hand.

And a receipt specific to the van.

I can’t remember if an hpi check is any good when dealing with the way traders finance vehicles.
Having said that I would still do one for the sake of 30 quid or less.

Ohh and any hpi check must be in your name it’s not transferable, or wasn’t a few years ago.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just thinking about this again

If you bought it on finance via the dealer, would that offer you any protection? I appreciate that you don't need to but if it is safer to do this and is the only way they'll then not require more funds upfront then it may be a way round it?

Alternatively when you visit them as you suggest you could inspect the MH and pay for it then and get confirmation from the loan company that their debt has been paid with a sales receipt showing it is yours - it may take you a while to wait whilst they do this but at least then you'd know it was definitely your property. You can then just leave it with them to do the bits and bobs, checks etc.

I'm no expert in these matters so don't know if this would cover you totally but just some ideas.

Personally, though, I still wouldn't pay anymore, never mind in full, until I got it and then would want proof that the loan, if secured against the MH itself, was paid off immediately.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Jim has said what he thinks and I think any dealer would be happy to go with that ,if not there may be a reason why ,so be cautious my last new van was paid for on the day by debit card no problem with that.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I’ve bought six new Motorhomes over the years from four different dealers and not one has asked for anything other than a small deposit and payment on the day of collection. All four dealers are still trading.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I’ve bought six new Motorhomes over the years from four different dealers and not one has asked for anything other than a small deposit and payment on the day of collection. All four dealers are still trading.
Yep, the ones asking for money up front are obviously struggling for cash flow so those are the last ones you want to give cash to up front.

Aug 16, 2018
West Wiltshire
Funster No
Exp
Long time
Companies Court No 3958 of 2014

In the Matter of E.S. HARTLEY LIMITED

(Company Number 02909182 )
and in the Matter of the Insolvency Act 1986

A Petition to wind up the above-named Company, Registration Number 02909182, of Lake District Motorhome Centre, E S Hartley Ltd, Ings, Kendal, Cumbria, LA8 9PY, presented on 3 June 2014 by the COMMISSIONERS FOR HM REVENUE AND CUSTOMS, of Bush House, Strand, London, WC2B 4RD, claiming to be Creditors of the Company, will be heard at the Royal Courts of Justice, 7 Rolls Buildings, Fetter Lane, London EC4A 1NL, on 21 July 2014, at 1030 hours (or as soon thereafter as the Petition can be heard).

Any persons intending to appear on the hearing of the Petition (whether to support or oppose it) must give notice of intention to do so to the Petitioners or to their Solicitor in accordance with Rule 4.16 by 1600 hours on 18 July 2014 .

The Petitioners` Solicitor is the Solicitor to, HM Revenue and Customs, Solicitor`s Office, South West Wing, Bush House, Strand, London, WC2B 4RD, telephone 020 7438 6884 . (Ref SLR1718377/W.)

9 July 2014

These are 5 and 6 year old reports, but does a leopard change its spots ? E.s Hartley have 3 companies registered, always concerning is what people have to juggle things.

bought a new Hobby Motorhome from E S Hartley, motorhome dealers of Ings near Kendal, a year ago. Days later I received an eMail from the makers Hobby telling me that I did not own the van as they still did. because they had not received payment from Hartleys, and that Hartleys had registered it with the DVLA using what Hobby described as a forged CoC certificate. It took some time to sort things out and confirm that I had not lost all of £45,000. I had to re-register the van with DVLA. As I did not own the van for a period my insurance cover was invalid as it did not cover me for a vehicle I did not own. I was also fobbed off that only ONE set of keys came with the van and that the second usually came direct from Ford> Then I was told by them that the keys would come from Hobby. Later E S Hartley "found" the keys ans posted them to me. Hobby Germany suggested in an eMail that I press Hartleys for compensation , but nothing is forthcoming ... not even a "sorry"

Second post from UK campsite .

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I would not accept just a receipt. I would want a Bill of Sale also, designating the vehicle by registration and by VIN No. (in case Registration was changed later)

In France proof of ownership is required to be carried. Bill of Sale does that, not V5C.

Geoff

OP
OP

Deleted User
OK, not going to give them anything up front other than the £2k deposit they already have. @Oldbob has given me the final scare. They can't argue as the original vehicle sales and order form says balance due on delivery. Thanks again everyone. Just wish that the legal system was such that you enjoyed buying a motorhome, rather than worrying about it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
OK, not going to give them anything up front other than the £2k deposit they already have. @Oldbob has given me the final scare. They can't argue as the original vehicle sales and order form says balance due on delivery. Thanks again everyone. Just wish that the legal system was such that you enjoyed buying a motorhome, rather than worrying about it.
Good lad ... last thing we want is you worrying about it and giving us all hell on here! :D2;)

No matter how much they try to persuade you otherwise, stand your ground, they are not your 'friends' no matter how nice they may be, it is a business transaction no more, no less. Put your 'third party' hat on. :D

upload_2019-6-1_13-37-44.jpeg

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Thank goodness!

@Stroppy Bird is 100% correct. Paying deposit by credit card does not give you ANY protection as the total purchase price is over £30k. Ironically, where you stand to lose most, the only protection is payment on delivery.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
But I would just pop in anyway to make sure your van is there.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Van is definitely here. They brought it up onto my drive to check it could cope with the slope without the rear end catching and it was OK other than the auto handbrake wouldn’t hold it. Four logs did the trick and they will sort it.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Been down to see them. They are OK for me to pay the balance on my debit card on the day but won’t release the van if the payment has a problem which is obviously OK as very local.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Been down to see them. They are OK for me to pay the balance on my debit card on the day but won’t release the van if the payment has a problem which is obviously OK as very local.
It pays to let your bank know of a large payment going out on that day

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back