Paying For And Importing Used From Germany? (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
VCA charge £120 I thought? And its a total rip off!..as all they do is check the letter from MOT station and associated papetwork:(

They can also hang on to paperwotk much longer then necessary! I phoned to confirm they got pack but it still took two weeks to get it back..two weeks for 5 minutes work? Grrrrrr.....

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Problem with that is the odometer will be be a much higher reading than your motorhome has done.
Also there are several different dial so have to make sure you have the right one.
Much eaiser to buy the correct dial from Lockwood and their dials have the kpm figures in white which are much easier to read.

Not the case. You still uses the original base speedo just swop the dial facia for the MPH, nothing else, so all the readings are original (y) .

Thanks Antony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not the case. You still uses the original base speedo just swop the dial facia for the MPH, nothing else, so all the readings are original (y) .

Thanks Antony
Whats the point a Lockwood dial is only £48 and has a better display

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

All I was originally saying is that you can get a better deal using an old speedo and taking the mph dial facia off that. I got mine off ebay for £19.00 which is a bit of a saving ;) Just keep an eye out and you can save, that's the point (y)

Oki Doki.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All I was originally saying is that you can get a better deal using an old speedo and taking the mph dial facia off that. I got mine off ebay for £19.00 which is a bit of a saving ;) Just keep an eye out and you can save, that's the point (y)

Oki Doki.
The link you posted was 45 quid which is what I was commenting on.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Have been following with great interest and just back from holiday In Germany when we incorporated a mini "dealer " tour and discovered we could buy a brand new Hymer starline for less in euros than the UK £ figure - a saving of about £25k so just need to work out how to do it. Dealers all seemed so lovely and completely nonplussed by UK purchaser - not willing to part exchange a right hand vehicle though
Continue to keep us posted regarding import/ insurance and general logistics please

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi SoozyW

We are at the stage of being ready to register Nessy (the monster van) for the UK now, just the paperwork to do. Took her for new tyres yesterday (ouch!) and then on to an MOT garage to have the lights and speedo checked. The headlights were switchable if somewhat awkward to get at and Colin did this himself, although the garage aligned them, he also swapped the fog and reversing lights around so they are now UK spec. He put in a new run of wiring so when w go to Europe he just has to change the lenses over and unplug the new wiring. We ordered a comparable used speedo unit from eBay, which Colin took apart and changed the facier over, it cost £17.oo.

Today I will be completing the forms from DVLA and sending them off with letter from the garage, the CoC and £100, hopefully that will be that. After a nervous couple of weeks we now have fully comp insurance through Safeguard, done from the VIN plate, we also need to sell the Hymer in order to transfer the no-claims over, otherwise she will have to be downgraded to 3rd party.

Phew! I think that's about it for now.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Did you say somewhere you were looking at changing the upholstery in that van?

It's a bit "Marmite" I guess - love it or hate it - I for one love it, nice and bright and makes a change from the usual very safe beige colours that everyone seems to have. I would never have been brave enough to have re-upholstered my van in those colours, but having seen it done, I like it! Better than my van - beige and shades of red & orange..........

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Did you say somewhere you were looking at changing the upholstery in that van?

It's a bit "Marmite" I guess - love it or hate it - I for one love it, nice and bright and makes a change from the usual very safe beige colours that everyone seems to have. I would never have been brave enough to have re-upholstered my van in those colours, but having seen it done, I like it! Better than my van - beige and shades of red & orange..........

The colour scheme has grown on me a bit, I think we will strip the dark red carpet out and get some covers for the cab seats first to see if that looks better. The multi coloured upholstery was very expensive but why they didn't get the cab seats done beats me, it really clashes.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Nice one (y)

Cheers Antony
If you get a secondhand speedometer, why bother changing the dial just reset the miles odometer to the correct figure from the old KPH unit and it will carry on from there, save appearing to have put thousands of miles on it.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
If you get a secondhand speedometer, why bother changing the dial just reset the miles odometer to the correct figure from the old KPH unit and it will carry on from there, save appearing to have put thousands of miles on it.
As we spend as much time in Europe as we do in the UK, we got one that showed both KPH and MPH., which is what we now have.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
How do you do that?

Same here, surely that is illegal? The only thing I changed was the facia the speedometer is the original one in km from new with the correct KM total. Mine too now shows MPH & KPH.

Cheers Antony

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Loads of places advertise mileage correction. It's not illegal to do, only if you fail to inform who ever your selling the car /van to that you have altered the readings.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I think you are thinking about digital odometers I meant the old rotating numbers one, and if you put the truthful figures down then nobody is hurt. The speedo you buy would be off a van used commercially with maybe 180000 miles on it, so it would be correct to put the REAL figures down. 90000 km would be 56000 miles.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Guys, I am becoming a bit confused with the paperwork and form filling, can you help please?

I have done the HMRC thing online and had confirmation there's no VAT to be paid.
I have completed the V55/5 first register for vehicle tax for a used import. Not sent it yet but it is ready to go with £55 fee and £165 tax.

Do I also have to complete the Mutual Recognition form? The van is Type Approved so I do not understand why I have to do this?

Thanks
Sandra

Edit - think I have answered my own question by reading back through this thread. I have to do the VCA thing before the DVLA bit, hence the need to get the letter from the garage, which we have done. My brain is getting a bit aggeled.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Plus there are a 101 diferent style dials with different icons. Only way to get the right one is to take a photo with all lights on and send to Lockwood's

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Got as far as Metz and just about squeezed into a very full Municiple site, on the banks of the Moselle. Not very well prepared for our first night, we had a finger buffet which consisted of pizza and salad, without cutlery!

The nextdoor neighbours are quite nice though, but very greedy!
What a lovely van, and good luck with driving it!
LC

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Plus there are a 101 diferent style dials with different icons. Only way to get the right one is to take a photo with all lights on and send to Lockwood's

This is a great quote, I jumped to the end of this thread, got TOTALLY confused by the above quote so had to back track to find out what Judge was on about.
The things you learn from this forum.. :))
LC

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Keep banging that drum @weinsburgman...most I know not bothered re saving a pittance and ending up with wrong speedo. Especially considering the savings made.

Anyway german dealer takes care of changes. Speeding up registration when I get van home. My days of searching round scrap yard or ebay for bits ended in my teens:D

Last edited:

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Keep banging that drum @weinsburgman...most I know not bothered re saving a pittance and ending up with wrong speedo. Especially considering the savings made.

Anyway german dealer takes care of changes. Speeding up registration when I get van home. My days of searching round scrap yard or ebay for bits ended in my teens:D

Are you saying my advice is not worthy oh wise one? Let me know when I can speak again oh master :ROFLMAO:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Being silly..listen to Lenny. I am presuming you bought used. Most of these threads concern new or recent. And you keep banging on about saving peanuts, when most want an easy registration process. FYI i had my MOT appointment for day I brought van home from Germany. Papers with VCA next morning...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Maybe not, but it is the best and Lockwood dials are much easier to read in low light than Fiat ones.

If you are spending up to a 100 grand maybe more on a new van why put an old S/H bit on it, doesn't make sense to me.:)

Nor to anyone else I should think! lol

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just fitted our Lockwood dial, today. A bit fiddly (but we're really incompetent and still managed it). Phoned Lockwoods when we got stuck, and got excellent advice from them. Looks good. Money well spent.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back