Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have had both but it's the ticket machines that are most difficult if ypou don't speak or read the local language. Some require you to pay to enter then give out a ticket that has a number on that has to be tapped in to open the barrier when you want to leave.

It may be possible to use your C C to pay but the last time we used this method no charge was made on our card, so maybe they don't like foreign cards.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Tokens?? now I am even more confused but glad I asked :doh:

Hi David

Some places you buy tokens in the town to get water from the Bourne or whatever the service point is called.

In our experience nearly every system is different which is what makes it so exciting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Tokens?? now I am even more confused but glad I asked :doh:

:rofl::rofl:
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you the Flot Blue, Bourne call it what you will often only accept tokens if you need water but you can empty for free. A lot are outside campsites or near a tourist office . Then we will get a token or 2 even if we filled up on site before leaving so we have a small collection for emergencies. (y)
Hope that makes sense.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to buy the All the Aires book from Vicarious Books. It has descriptions and advice on how to use the various machines. Tokens you will probably have to buy from a local shop.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
H
And some don't charge at all , I found several free ones and some where the only charge was for fresh water 10 mins for 2€

Had one this year two tokens for water but as soon as you released the trigger the bloody thing finished. Was filling into barrels so got caught on swapping the first barrel. Needed 4 barrels of water :eek: Learnt the hard way on that one didn't get caught with the next two tokens ;)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
H

Had one this year two tokens for water but as soon as you released the trigger the bloody thing finished. Was filling into barrels so got caught on swapping the first barrel. Needed 4 barrels of water :eek: Learnt the hard way on that one didn't get caught with the next two tokens ;)
Ha ha I never took any chances I kept the trigger running :) filled the 200 litre tank and then 4 20 litre drinking water bottles then I ran out of receptacles :p

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You need to buy the All the Aires book from Vicarious Books. It has descriptions and advice on how to use the various machines. Tokens you will probably have to buy from a local shop.

Thanks DBK, we do already have the book

As you say it has advice, but what about these bloody token thingies

Are they the same all over the country? that would help

If you arrive after hours with no token, what do you do?

Are there some that you need a token just to gain access?

:D

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:rofl::rofl:
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you the Flot Blue, Bourne call it what you will often only accept tokens if you need water but you can empty for free. A lot are outside campsites or near a tourist office . Then we will get a token or 2 even if we filled up on site before leaving so we have a small collection for emergencies. (y)
Hope that makes sense.

It helps a little thanks, when you say 'small collection' are there different tokens

I feel a need to get some tokens (just in case) (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

Some places you buy tokens in the town to get water from the Bourne or whatever the service point is called.

In our experience nearly every system is different which is what makes it so exciting.

I am too old to go looking for excitement, getting up in the morning is enough of a thrill :LOL:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
usually you get them from the marie,s office . possibly a newsagent . they arent all the same .
but its not worth worrying about .

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
To be honest in the 13 days I was in france I never used my aires book once I just looked for the motorhome signs and followed them and never had to buy tokens either so wouldn't worry about it there's hundreds of them so if you go in to one and it doesn't suit just drive to another

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Hi David,

The tokens are all different and don't always fit from one aire to another. There's a page in the All the Aires books that shows what they might look like.

We needed water on one on a bank holiday weekend when the shops were shut, but we bought one from a French motorhomer on the aire, so we could fill up.

We'd recommend just going for it! As vwalan says, it's really not worth worrying about!

Steve :Smile:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
The tokens are called Jetons and are usually bought from local Tabacs, Tourist Office, Mairie or perhaps Boulangerie.
It will tell you where and when to get them somewhere on the Borne or close by.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am really grateful for the replies and reassurances

Will give it a go and report back

These tokens are concerning me though, I don't like uncertainty

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
There is usually a notice board at the aire and that will tell you where to buy the Jeton (Token). Its easy to work out even when its written in French. Failing that ask someone. Just say Jeton and they will know what it is you want.

I always fill up with water before leaving so I arrive with a full tank, just in case we have any difficulty getting water. (which we never have!) Its also worth making sure you have a hose pipe and some different sized fittings, but again 99.9% of them time I found the standard UK hozelock style fitting worked.

Now you can stop worrying about the tokens and start thinking about the wine..the food, the cheap fuel, the roads, the countryside, the peace.........

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We've rarely paid for water or even an aire in France. One trick I do is to take a watering can. It is much easier filling up 10 litres at a time plus you can park up 'before a French van takes the last space' LOL...

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
"I am determined to use more but still unsure of how it works"

The French are also unsure of how they work, there's always puzzled looks.
We are currently 4 days into our trip and these are the results

Le Crotoy 5€, parking ticket at machine.
Veulettes 5€, man called in evening
Etretat 8€, take ticket, drive in and pay on exit
Honfleur 10€, parking ticket.

Here at Honfleur it's packed (200vans) and a fairly scruffy car park but it's fantastic value to stay just a few hundred yards from the old town centre with views over the port.
Bayeaux tomorrow.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now you can stop worrying about the tokens and start thinking about the wine..the food, the cheap fuel, the roads, the countryside, the peace.........

I have that bit well under control, but really appreciate the help on access issues

One thing I think we will do is not leave it too late arriving, there should be space and the shops will be open to buy the jeton

(y)

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I thought the point of these aires was that they were free but now I'm seeing they can cost up to 10 euros? Is that for one night?

Not all aires are free but we have found lots of them are. They also vary greatly in standard, facilities and space. Go with an open mind and if you don't like it when you arrive, move on. We have found some wonderful spots and explored towns & villages that we wouldn't have bothered with otherwise.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
I thought the point of these aires was that they were free but now I'm seeing they can cost up to 10 euros? Is that for one night?
I found the free ones were the ones with only 2 or 3 vans on them ....The ones I liked.

The ones that charged were usually packed like sardines .....i just drove past them and usually another one within 30 mins

The campsites I used were €12 per night

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , First time we went to an aire we bought 3 tokens /jetons thinking they would be the same at most aires, but now after 8 trips to france and been to quite a lot of aires we haven't found any machine that the the 2 extra ones fit, so only buy what you need , Or you could purchase these two jetons that don't seem to fit anywhere at a special price !! only joking :D ( too tight to give away or throw away:p). No doubt they will travel with us for the next few trips o_O.
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back