Paying for an aire (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sorry David, meant to post the photo and details, but had to dash out - here is photo and details!

The town is Coucy le Chateau Auffrique. A 10 minute walk into the Walled town. Not a lot there, but a beautiful place to stop if travelling up the Eastern side of France.

We're there now! It is the first Aire that we have paid for in 18 days and deffo worth the 5 Euro. :D

Thanks for the tip off, we would have otherwise missed this one a d the castle too.

:)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We're there now! It is the first Aire that we have paid for in 18 days and deffo worth the 5 Euro. :D

Thanks for the tip off, we would have otherwise missed this one a d the castle too.

:)
So glad you found it. It was the only one we paid for on the way back up from Mont Blanc Tunnel, but as you say, well worth it. Hope you have had and are having a brilliant time. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Last edited:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As everyone has said - don't worry just do it! We haven't had to use any tokens yet - and if you read the All the Aires book it tells you if its a token machine or not, so you can be prepared. We have stayed in some wonderful ones - the best one being on a gravel standing, unlimited electric, brand new toilet, and a grassy area around each pitch for barbeques, sitting out, right on the edge of a beautiful little town - all for 5 euros for 24 hours!

Sounds like Cousy le Chateau, been there a few times, good dog walks round the fishing lakes too

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds like Cousy le Chateau, been there a few times, good dog walks round the fishing lakes too
Yes Jay it was Coucy le Chateau, didn't see any fishing lakes though - handy to know for next time!

MrsBB

Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Never bought a token / jeton in all my years of using aires. Fill up when it's free and just judge usage if not. Often use coins..... Really good tip already given to keep a supply of euros in van! Even tho I'm a whittler this aspect is not worth whittling about! Just done a month for less than 150 euros and have had no problems and even electrics on several. Enjoy the aires...... Brill!

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We avoid filling up the fresh water tank on aires because of what you see going on with the taps.
Like sticking the tap into toilet cassettes to rince - :eek: In Gruissan they put the tap up high with a metal cage around it to help avoid this!!Some taps are right next to the cassette emptying hole so they get nicely splashed as in St Valery-sur-Somme (unless it's changed - :confused:.
We always have several 5l bottles of water and have topped up with cheapest bottled water from Lidl.
Occasionally we have sprayed the tap with disinfectant before using it(y)
Of course, maybe we are too fussy:whistle:
Mike and Annie:cool::)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We avoid filling up the fresh water tank on aires because of what you see going on with the taps.
Like sticking the tap into toilet cassettes to rince - :eek: In Gruissan they put the tap up high with a metal cage around it to help avoid this!!Some taps are right next to the cassette emptying hole so they get nicely splashed as in St Valery-sur-Somme (unless it's changed - :confused:.
We always have several 5l bottles of water and have topped up with cheapest bottled water from Lidl.
Occasionally we have sprayed the tap with disinfectant before using it(y)
Of course, maybe we are too fussy:whistle:
Mike and Annie:cool::)

Thanks for the warning, regrettably the same could be said for many UK sites

We never drink from our on board tank, bottled water is not that expensive here, much cheaper in France, we will refill our drinking bottles on sites where we 'trust' the tap

We will be travelling this time in October and November so nice and quiet hopefully, not that stops the rogue user abusing the taps :mad:

(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We usually fill our tanks from camp sites and Aires taps and use the water to make hot drinks and for cooking as well as washing and cleaning teeth without any problems to date. We use bottle water for cold drinks though. Occasionally we will decide that the tap looks too "dodgy" and we will then move on to somewhere else.

I have a spray bottle of disinfectant cleaner and a pack of antiseptic wipes (both from Lidl) both of which I use on ALL taps before I use them, including the outside tap we have at home. In addition I always use my own hose if I can rather than relying on the one supplied on the tap. I also regularly disinfect the internal tank and hoses.

The problem you will find with Aires later in the year is that some of them, especially at higher elevations, have their taps switched off to prevent frost damage.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
My pet hate is one tap Aires, I try my best to avoid filling up the tank using them.
We have rented MoHo in Canada a few times and there I believe there must be 30metres between the waste dump and the fresh water fill point. At least that's the national park standard.
Of course it doesn't apply to EWS pitches so even there they have double standards.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Where did you get item E - the tank connector?

It doesn't appear to be either a Hozelock item nor the HELO product, which is the only other one I've seen.

B&Q don't list it either, although I did find DuxDeluxe's

It is a most useful accessory. I got mine from John's Cross. It costs around the £19 mark usually which might seem expensive but it does save a lot of messing about.

Wyn

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you got yours from Johns Cross, then I imagine you will have the HELO product, the Heosafe Water Connection. At least, that's the only one they list on their website now. The one in Roryboys Dad's picture looks like a different make.

They do seem a bit expensive, but after you've soaked your feet a time or two, I imagine they seem like very good value.(y)

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Just for your information... If you are desperate for water then most if not all cemeteries in France have a water tap just inside or near the gate.:happy:
And if that puts you off or you are just not comfortable filling up at a cemetery then just buy some cheap water at Lidl!;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back