Paying for an aire

Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
We have had both but it's the ticket machines that are most difficult if ypou don't speak or read the local language. Some require you to pay to enter then give out a ticket that has a number on that has to be tapped in to open the barrier when you want to leave.

It may be possible to use your C C to pay but the last time we used this method no charge was made on our card, so maybe they don't like foreign cards.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Tokens?? now I am even more confused but glad I asked :doh:
:rofl::rofl:
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you the Flot Blue, Bourne call it what you will often only accept tokens if you need water but you can empty for free. A lot are outside campsites or near a tourist office . Then we will get a token or 2 even if we filled up on site before leaving so we have a small collection for emergencies. (y)
Hope that makes sense.

DBK

Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need to buy the All the Aires book from Vicarious Books. It has descriptions and advice on how to use the various machines. Tokens you will probably have to buy from a local shop.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
H
And some don't charge at all , I found several free ones and some where the only charge was for fresh water 10 mins for 2€

Had one this year two tokens for water but as soon as you released the trigger the bloody thing finished. Was filling into barrels so got caught on swapping the first barrel. Needed 4 barrels of water :eek: Learnt the hard way on that one didn't get caught with the next two tokens ;)

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
H

Had one this year two tokens for water but as soon as you released the trigger the bloody thing finished. Was filling into barrels so got caught on swapping the first barrel. Needed 4 barrels of water :eek: Learnt the hard way on that one didn't get caught with the next two tokens ;)
Ha ha I never took any chances I kept the trigger running :) filled the 200 litre tank and then 4 20 litre drinking water bottles then I ran out of receptacles :p

OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You need to buy the All the Aires book from Vicarious Books. It has descriptions and advice on how to use the various machines. Tokens you will probably have to buy from a local shop.
Thanks DBK, we do already have the book

As you say it has advice, but what about these bloody token thingies

Are they the same all over the country? that would help

If you arrive after hours with no token, what do you do?

Are there some that you need a token just to gain access?

:D

OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
:rofl::rofl:
Sorry didn't mean to confuse you the Flot Blue, Bourne call it what you will often only accept tokens if you need water but you can empty for free. A lot are outside campsites or near a tourist office . Then we will get a token or 2 even if we filled up on site before leaving so we have a small collection for emergencies. (y)
Hope that makes sense.

It helps a little thanks, when you say 'small collection' are there different tokens

I feel a need to get some tokens (just in case) (y)

OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David

Some places you buy tokens in the town to get water from the Bourne or whatever the service point is called.

In our experience nearly every system is different which is what makes it so exciting.
I am too old to go looking for excitement, getting up in the morning is enough of a thrill :LOL:

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
To be honest in the 13 days I was in france I never used my aires book once I just looked for the motorhome signs and followed them and never had to buy tokens either so wouldn't worry about it there's hundreds of them so if you go in to one and it doesn't suit just drive to another

BritStops

Trader BritStops Owner
May 31, 2010
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi David,

The tokens are all different and don't always fit from one aire to another. There's a page in the All the Aires books that shows what they might look like.

We needed water on one on a bank holiday weekend when the shops were shut, but we bought one from a French motorhomer on the aire, so we could fill up.

We'd recommend just going for it! As vwalan says, it's really not worth worrying about!

Steve :Smile:

OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am really grateful for the replies and reassurances

Will give it a go and report back

These tokens are concerning me though, I don't like uncertainty

Jun 6, 2012
Basingstoke
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
There is usually a notice board at the aire and that will tell you where to buy the Jeton (Token). Its easy to work out even when its written in French. Failing that ask someone. Just say Jeton and they will know what it is you want.

I always fill up with water before leaving so I arrive with a full tank, just in case we have any difficulty getting water. (which we never have!) Its also worth making sure you have a hose pipe and some different sized fittings, but again 99.9% of them time I found the standard UK hozelock style fitting worked.

Now you can stop worrying about the tokens and start thinking about the wine..the food, the cheap fuel, the roads, the countryside, the peace.........

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services