Paying For A New Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have read a number of posts recently about people buying new Vans, which we are hoping to do in the next 3 weeks or so (have been waiting a long time). We paid a deposit by card and have a px which we shall bring along on the allotted day, and the balance will probably be paid for by bank/card transfer of some sort.

Just wondered what the process for paying and checking the van over might be, realise our dealer will have their preferred way probably that we pay the balance 2 days before we px and pick up. And our preferred method is probably to pay the balance after fully checking the new van over and all issues if any are resolved.

So how does it normally proceed and if there are issues, what is the best way to deal with them, do not pay till sorted or trust the dealer to resolve? Just wondered how others have done it or would recommend it be handled?

Nov 12, 2010
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
5 Years
Just picked mine up on Friday, had checked it over, paid with a combination of Debit card and credit card and drove it away. Had left my trade in as a deposit some weeks ago.

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
No issues then, good to hear after reading some of the posts you can become a bit paranoid :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
We picked our new van up from the dealer in Hull. had previously paid a (relatively small) deposit on order and was paying the rest on a debit card. telephoned our bank prior to the deal to advise them of a considerable amount of money being paid out to a dealer in Hull.

Dealer showed us around the motorhome, gave us time to sit in it and play on our own and, when we were ready, called us into office to do the card transaction. easy bank did call to ask to speak to me but all completed within 5 - 10 minutes. No problems at all.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We picked our new van up from the dealer in Hull. had previously paid a (relatively small) deposit on order and was paying the rest on a debit card. telephoned our bank prior to the deal to advise them of a considerable amount of money being paid out to a dealer in Hull.

Dealer showed us around the motorhome, gave us time to sit in it and play on our own and, when we were ready, called us into office to do the card transaction. easy bank did call to ask to speak to me but all completed within 5 - 10 minutes. No problems at all.
Exactly the same here. No problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Yes that's what we did but I had to have a bit of a fight to get a gas bottle and regulator fitted as they said they didn't have one/ stock them.
I made them go over to there spares shop a little way away and get one as I pointed out to them that I wanted to make sure everything on gas worked.

There were a number of things we found in the following weeks but all were fixed to our satisfaction but if the dealer had been many many miles away I would have been a bit cheesed off.

OP
OP
Neilfg
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have no reason to expect that our transaction will be anything other than easy, with everything in good working order as specified. But our last experience was not like that it took all day, with things not quite right some sorted others not. We stupidly put ourselves under pressure to accept the van as we wanted it, it all worked out ok in the end and the issues were resolved but took awhile, I suspect if we had refused the van and been prepared to come back then it would have been quicker.

Good to hear this is not the norm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back