Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
DO NOT PRE-PAY!!!!!

If you can't pay it all via a transfer from your bank, consider taking the rest in cash - do NOT pay anything other than the basic deposit until you collect the vehicle!
Agree, if it is a daily limit phone your bank and they should OK larger amounts, or is it a transaction limit then you can do a second one immediately.

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
Just one word of caution re internet transfers:

We did a 200 mile train journey to collect ours, connected laptop to sellers WIFI and attempted to make transfer - the bank picked up transaction in view of amount and that it was from a different IP address to my home location, it took quite a bit of hoop jumping and a length call with the fraud department at the bank ... but was sorted in the end - deffo worth letting them know of transfer upfront.

Transferring £xxxxxx to a stranger before collection? - not for me.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
We did bank transfer but there is a limit per day sometimes so you might have to do it over a few days.

Martin

Not quite true.....

Call your bank and tell them how much you are spending... Tell them that you want to pay there and then... and they will advise what to do...

I spent 66K ... via debit card... on the day... to buy ours.. Normal limit was way way less..... (9,999 if i recall )...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just one word of caution re internet transfers:

We did a 200 mile train journey to collect ours, connected laptop to sellers WIFI and attempted to make transfer - the bank picked up transaction in view of amount and that it was from a different IP address to my home location, it took quite a bit of hoop jumping and a length call with the fraud department at the bank ... but was sorted in the end - deffo worth letting them know of transfer upfront.

Transferring £xxxxxx to a stranger before collection? - not for me.
Download your banks app on your phone or tablet should avoid that problem.
Also worth making a test transfer of a pound or less to confirm you have entered there bank details correctly.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not quite true.....

Call your bank and tell them how much you are spending... Tell them that you want to pay there and then... and they will advise what to do...

I spent 66K ... via debit card... on the day... to buy ours.. Normal limit was way way less..... (9,999 if i recall )...

Ours was private so debit card no good, and I think the OP was asking about private sale, our best option was the bank transfer, I asked my bank cashier in bed one night:LOL:.

The bank may well make the transfer for you and charge for the service, they may also quote 24 hours for the funds to be clear, doing it yourself with a lower limit cleared quicker when we bought ours but it was 4 years ago so things have changed no doubt.

Martin

I should just add for clarity that I am also married to said bank cashier.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you try to do 2 transfers to the same person within a day or two they will stop the second one, after all it is for YOUR protection to stop anyone who's got into your account emptying it! As I said earlier, get in touch with your bank/building society and tell them what you want to do and arrange with them the most sensible, and safe, way to do it ... banks are quite user friendly now ... the bank managers don't give you mucky looks and 'tut-tut' at you for spending the dosh anymore!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Ours was private so debit card no good, and I think the OP was asking about private sale, our best option was the bank transfer, I asked my bank cashier in bed one night:LOL:.

The bank may well make the transfer for you and charge for the service, they may also quote 24 hours for the funds to be clear, doing it yourself with a lower limit cleared quicker when we bought ours but it was 4 years ago so things have changed no doubt.

Martin

I should just add for clarity that I am also married to said bank cashier.
That was almost building up to an old mo joke, but missed out the bit about making the large deposit ;)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Recent Purchase from UK dealer. Paid deposit with Credit card. Transferred balance on delivery date by pre arranged bank transfer. (Timed). Worked OK?. Sold my R-V, (2012) guy came logged on to my Guest WiFi, transferred deposit. came a week later collected R-V paid by same method. Beauty of this was I could watch my account for the transfer at the same time!! took about 15 min to show up. (Slow Day?). I just made them a Brew while we waited.

I used internet bank transfer to buy the Winnebago in the USA. When we sold it, and got the money into my US bank same day via dealer.

Pete

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Not quite true.....

And I have done the same in Germany, prearranged with bank paid with card....simples

Anthony496

Free Member
Jul 18, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
I'm a newbie
havent don't this with a MH but have done it with high value boats and cars

Speak to the bank in advance let them know you will be making a high value chaps payment usually clear within 2 to 3 hours or guaranteed by close of business.(costs anything from 15 to 25 quid) View the MH leave the wife or friend with it nip to the local bank and transfer the money by the time your back it will probably have cleared.

Anth

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Just moved a large sum from Halifax bank to another ,they charged me £30 for pressing a button.nothing changes with the banks lol.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Paying cash over £9k watch out for money laundering problems

Peter

Something to bear in mind. We made 4 transfers to get the cash to the USA for the Winnie, they had to be under $10000-00 each or they would have been flagged up with Homeland Security and delayed whilst it was "investigated". Same applies in the UK (£10000-00) on any foreign transaction. I was not aware that Internal transaction where affected though? we just made a single payment well in excess (April), when we bought the Rapido. (but of course not cash)

Pete

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Each bank will have it's own limit on the amount you can transfer in one go yourself ... you really need to ask them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back