quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi All,
What is the best PAYG mobile broadband? Do they all expire after 30 days like vodafone or are there others that don't. Can any be used abroad?

Many thanks,

Quicksilver

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi All,
What is the best PAYG mobile broadband? Do they all expire after 30 days like vodafone or are there others that don't. Can any be used abroad?

Many thanks,

Quicksilver

A few months ago I bought an old tariff Vodafone SIM off ebay, new, for £7 with £15 credit and no expiring. You might get lucky if you have a look.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Three.co have a rolling monthly contract that can be terminated with 1 months notice. I costs £15 for 5 Gig.

I am coming to the end of my first month and I struggling to use up all my data.

It runs fine with Skype with double video with an occasional hesitation, but I think that that is due to heavy use at the local cell.

I think that left over data is deleted at the end of the month but I will see in 6 days when the month ends.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A few months ago I bought an old tariff Vodafone SIM off ebay, new, for £7 with £15 credit and no expiring. You might get lucky if you have a look.
That's fine if you already have a Vodafone or unlocked dongle.

I have a dongle which was on a T-Mobile contract which I had unlocked as the contract ended in February (search previous posts for full details). I obtained two free SIMs from "3" - see Here - as there are Add-on deals which are a lot cheaper than the "normal" dongle contracts if your total data demands are not too high (but no Skype).

I also obtained a Vodafone SIM as mentioned by Brian, working on the basis that between the two networks I should always get a signal. Do an eBay search for <Vodafone SIM hsdpa> as there are still some on offer.

Graham

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If you are on BT broadband they will sell you a dongle for 39.99 and you get 1gig free every month, just ordered one. Also have a 3 , O2 and vodafone dongle. Vodafone and 3 ok , O2 is expensive.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
and you cant really use them abroad because of the cost :Eeek: mega bills, but if you have an unlocked dongle and can get the payg data sim card for the country you are in you can use them no problem.

OP
OP
Q

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Hi Brian, How does the sim work with a laptop?

quicksilver

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Be quick Amazon are showning 1 left of the Vodafone K3565 dongle this one comes with 1GB that does not expire you just have to log once in 6 month to keep the same contract.

It's the best deal for occasional users, cost £15 top top up with 1GB running costs for 50p you get 3-4 hours browsing and loads of emails a just don't download videos. I've had mine since last April topped it up for the first time in January and been using quite a lot.

Oct 13, 2008
Funster No
Exp
Be quick Amazon are showning 1 left of the Vodafone K3565 dongle this one comes with 1GB that does not expire you just have to log once in 6 month to keep the same contract.

It's the best deal for occasional users, cost £15 top top up with 1GB running costs for 50p you get 3-4 hours browsing and loads of emails a just don't download videos. I've had mine since last April topped it up for the first time in January and been using quite a lot.

Careful though, have you read this review?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R8ZJQ6WUCQ8DW/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R8ZJQ6WUCQ8DW

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
OP
OP
Q

quicksilver

Free Member
May 9, 2010
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
mobile broadband

Thanks a ton everyone. Know where I am going now.

QS

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The K3565 is the one that does not expire it is the K3565R that only lasts 30 days just make sure you get the right one.

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
Non-Expiry Vodafone SIM

The Vodafone non-expiry SIM cards are still available from these two ebay sellers.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ETERNAL-COMMUNICATIONS

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/A1techStore

I bought one for my Wife from the first seller - works fine.

Most dongles can be unlocked simply for £2-3 by return of e-mail. Search ebay and there are many - look for good feedback. I used this chap last year and he was most helpful and efficient - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Grumpy-Greyhound-Products (satisfied customer only :Smile:).

Steve

Soundman

Free Member
May 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
16 Years
Vodafone Dongle in Europe

Can anybody tell me if this Vodafone dongle works in Europe, or is it just for the UK

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
If you are a BT Broadband customer you may not need a dongle at all. I am sitting here with my laptop at the C&CC site at Llanystumdwy. I always take my vodafone dongle (the early version that does not expire) but at the last three sites I have not needed it as I log on to BT Openzone which picks up a local wi-fi broadband connection. I don't know whose I am on as there are no houses very near but it costs nothing. You have to be a BT Broadband customer. Have a look at their website, it explains it all.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Can anybody tell me if this Vodafone dongle works in Europe, or is it just for the UK

My understanding is that it will work....at a cost. Much more economic to use the local library, or, site wifi, free on some sites, or, purchase a local data card, but that is becoming difficult now, requires a resident address, etc.

Hope this helps.

Nomadic

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My understanding is that it will work....at a cost. Much more economic to use the local library, or, site wifi, free on some sites, or, purchase a local data card, but that is becoming difficult now, requires a resident address, etc.

Hope this helps.

Nomadic

My understanding is different - the non-expiring Vodafone pay-as-you-go dongle, unfortunately, only works in the UK - certainly, that's what the instructions with mine said. And I have tried to use it abroad (Portugal and Spain) just to check, but was unable to get a connection to the web.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Unlocked "dongle"

Hi

I have 2 dongles (3 and vodaphone) Locally, all those I have asked about unlocking say the unlocking is OK BUT they cannot provide the necessary "firmware"/software to allow use on another network.

Any one know different?

pete

steveheather

Free Member
Aug 13, 2009
Bourne, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Pro
Exp
8 Years
Hi,

I think what you are looking for is the generic 'dashboard' software for whichever particular dongle you are using, assuming that you have already managed to get it unlocked.

You can obtain the generic 'dashboard' from here - http://www.dc-unlocker.com/downloads - click on your dongle make on the left and then choose the model from the list. The downloaded file is an executable and will replace the phone operators software on your dongle with a generic one. For example, if you have a Huawei Vodafone dongle, it will remove the Vodafone Mobile Connect software and install 'Mobile Partner' software in it's place. 'Mobile Partner' can be used with any SIM in any country.

Steve

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My Huawei E220 dongle was originally T-Mobile. The T-Mobile "Web n Walk USB Manager" interface will work with both "3" and Vodafone SIMS so long as you know the account sign-on details for those networks so as to be able to set up alternatives to T-Mobile.

What the T-Mobile "Web n Walk USB Manager" interface will not do, however, is give you access to the "3" or Vodafone account details. That doesn't matter with "3" as everything is accessible through their web site but with Vodafone you need the Mobile Connect interface to provide some information such as balance remaining.

Not a problem though as Mobile Connect can be downloaded from the Vodafone web site (though it takes a bit of finding) and will quite happily reside alongside the T-Mobile "Web n Walk USB Manager". You just have to make sure you execute the appropriate software for the connection facilities you want.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back