Free Member
Jul 29, 2011
Calpe, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
We are coming over to the UK in a couple of weeks time and will be there for two months. Can anyone suggest the best option for getting a payg dongle for us to use and indication of costs. Will no doubt be able to use some wifi spots but need a dongle for security when accessing bank account etc.

Thanks in advance, I know someone will have an answer!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Look no further than Giffgaff http://giffgaff.com/

Choose a deal to suit , eg £10 goodybag - 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile Internet for a month

You pay monthly .. there is no roll over..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Giffgaff assumes having a dongle to put the SIM in doesn't it Jim? If I read the OP correctly they need to get a dongle here.

Major networks are:
Three - http://www.three.co.uk/Home
Vodafone - http://www.vodafone.co.uk/personal/index.htm
T Mobile - http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/
Orange - http://www.orange.co.uk/
O2 - http://www.o2.co.uk/

Each has coverage maps so you can check which is best at your likely destinations. We find that Three has the best overall coverage. Prices tend to be broadly similar.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Giffgaff assumes having a dongle to put the SIM in doesn't it Jim? If I read the OP correctly they need to get a dongle here.

yes indeed Graham.. I presumed they were just looking for a sim :Blush::Doh:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Choose a deal to suit , eg £10 goodybag - 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile Internet for a month

You pay monthly .. there is no roll over..

I would buy a dongle from any mobile phone shop or supermarket, just get the cheapest you can find.

IF you get one that woks on 02 you can then throw away the included sim and get a giffgaff one as Jim suggests.

BUT
You would need to buy a GIGABAG, not a goodybag as the goodybag he mentions is for use in a PHONE and not a dongle.

The Gigabag is for dongle use and gives you a months worth of data as per the attached picture.

So:

Order a sim by visiting giffgaff

(Click here to order a sim quickly and easily and with £5 free credit when you activate it with your first topup)

Register it and top it up and buy a Gigabag

Buy an unlocked or O2 dongle from a phone shop or a supermarket

Pop the gg sim in the dongle

Should be all that there is to it :thumb:

Attachments

• SIM.png
    SIM.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 17
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
By the way...giffgaff works on the O2 network so you get the same coverage :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would buy a dongle from any mobile phone shop or supermarket, just get the cheapest you can find.

IF you get one that woks on 02 you can then throw away the included sim and get a giffgaff one as Jim suggests.

BUT
You would need to buy a GIGABAG, not a goodybag as the goodybag he mentions is for use in a PHONE and not a dongle.

The Gigabag is for dongle use and gives you a months worth of data as per the attached picture.

double :Doh::Doh:

clearly I need to see the 'nurse' any recommendations ? :roflmto:

however.. another option is buy giffgaff sim for the phone and tether to the lappy .. ?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I have a question or 2
if you buy a phone to tether your laptop which phone works like that
do the phone companies know you have tethered your phone ?
do you need to tell them
do they charge you extra
how do you tether your phone to laptop?

that about covers all the silly questions from me sorry if its obvious but it aint to me:Doh:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
On 3 "the one plan" you can tether legitimatly
see here http://support.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi...sername=Mobile:mobileUser?s_search=helpsearch

I have been with GiffGaff over the past year and have used their data sim but you need to have a dongle or and ipad, whereas with the 3 "one Plan" you can use your phone to tether other items and can also get it on a sim only one month rolling contract.
You should be able to get a sim from any 3 shop or online if you have time.

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
double :Doh::Doh:

clearly I need to see the 'nurse' any recommendations ? :roflmto:

however.. another option is buy giffgaff sim for the phone and tether to the lappy .. ?

OOPS! Triple whammy :Doh::Doh::Doh: :ROFLMAO:

As giffgaff offer unlimited internet in their £10 goodybag (which also gives you unlimited texts and 250 minutes) they prohibit you from tethering.

That's why they came out with the gigabags :thumb:

That said, I know some users do tether and I've never heard of them having a problem, maybe because they are light users...don't know.

So I use one sim in my phone and one in my dongle :Cool:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
OOPS! Triple whammy :Doh::Doh::Doh: :ROFLMAO:

As giffgaff offer unlimited internet in their £10 goodybag (which also gives you unlimited texts and 250 minutes) they prohibit you from tethering.

That's why they came out with the gigabags :thumb:

That said, I know some users do tether and I've never heard of them having a problem, maybe because they are light users...don't know.

So I use one sim in my phone and one in my dongle :Cool:

I use one gg sim in my I phone and one in I pad
last month daughter Took a spare nokia phone
To spain with the I pad sim in it
Yes I know mini sim in the I pad

when I cut the sim down to fit the I pad
I kept the surrounding plastic bit
put the mini sim back in the plastic
And put it in the Nokia spare
Got the sim cutter for £2.59 off ebay works a treat :thumb:

Last edited:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
If you can check where you may be going for coverage, its purely a personal thing but I have used O2 for work in many places, even big cities, and the coverage and speed of the 3 mifi and 3 sim far exceeds O2 everywhere i happen to have been. I cannot comment on the other providers, never used them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I found O2 useless on coverage in some areas, especially on campsites for some reason, so giffgaff using the same neywork will be the same

I switched to using 3 on a mifi and have never had a problem since. I pay about £12 per 3 months by buying the 3, 3gb sims on ebay or amazon. once activated each sim stays live for 90 days or until 3gb used whichever first. they also do a 12gb 12 month sim available for about £50. all you need is an unlocked dongle or mifi....the settings for each operator are in the download section of this site, I added them a while back. you need to set the APN and password different for each network

Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back