thanks,

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We love this route, including the free tunnel but, and there is a but, the roads on the French side are not as good as those in Spain, even allowing for the major road works taking place at this time. The scenery on the Spanish side is fantastic and could be Ok in France if I had the time to look at it.
As soon as you reach the tunnel going south, the road becomes evermore like a motorway.
Another alternative could be St Jean Pied de Port, taking the road in Spain to miss Pamploma and heading for Valencia.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes i went up there last christmas for the snow. Although I went around via Jaca. All the way to Oloron-St-Marie. only snow I saw was cannons on French side. 30º at one point, clear skies every day .cold at night though. stunning over Col du Somport.
Yes as @rosalan said Spanish side is excellent roads & nice scenery whereas the French side is stunning on a sunny day but narrow in places because there is complete opposition to having a motorway through such magnificent scenery. On the French side there are plenty of places to wild camp in the numerous lay bys & you even get excellent '3' coverage (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Tried that route first time last winter and loved it. Overnighted at Oleron-st-Marie in the aire (the entrance is a bit tight for larger units) and crossed on a beautiful crisp clear morning. We were later given a word of advice - always do it first thing in the morning; later in the day you'll meet the trucks coming the other way and you don't want to do that on the French side where, as has been said, the roads are very picturesque - i.e. narrow and twisty!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Tried that route first time last winter and loved it. Overnighted at Oleron-st-Marie in the aire (the entrance is a bit tight for larger units) and crossed on a beautiful crisp clear morning. We were later given a word of advice - always do it first thing in the morning; later in the day you'll meet the trucks coming the other way and you don't want to do that on the French side where, as has been said, the roads are very picturesque - i.e. narrow and twisty!
Oleron is a is a bit tight for smaller units! Those low stone walls could be expensive. We arrived in the rush hour, couldn't find the space on the road outside to take my time, plus it looked full so we went to the municipleal, which was almost empty (probably closed winter). But there is a parking space outside which seems to be an aires, but don't park in the reception parking. Obviously OK when closed.

Those gravel lorries travel dangerously fast. As it happens, we did go up first thing. Well, our campingstyle first thing. On the way back from Spain, going down the pass and sticking to the 55 limit, the one behind harassed me, trying to overtake at stupid places, pulling close to my rear, waving his arms about like a maniac. Because of the roadworks, all the pull-offs were closed. If I accelerated away, he'd be there again later just as bad. It's not a road to speed down for the newcomer, those trucks don't care, they do it everyday and know it well. But they are improving the road. Otherwise it is a good route. Very quick to the med from Pau midway along the Pyrenees.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We use it all the time when we drive to and from Portugal. Love that trip. Go south from Bordeaux, drive across to Mont de Marson. Avoiding all tolls.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We did this route in December a couple of years ago and loved it. The scenery on the French side is gorgeous, but as said the road can be a little tight. I'd advise travelling through the tunnel on a Sunday when there are no lorries.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
What it's like in deep winter I don't know. I guess December would be OK, maybe Jan might be iffy. But those trucks would probably clear the way! In summer you can barely see the mountains from our son's land, because of the heat haze. Just the mountain tops which look like static white clouds. In winter you can see them clear as anything. We were hoping for a Christmas invite ... Ah well, soon be spring.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks for the heads up on this route, having looked at it on |Google Earth and followed the route on camera, I would be very scarred about losing my expensive to replace side mirrors as the road sure is narrow and twisty with some low crumbling walls along the route, which would make it seem even narrower!
I do agree however that it looks like a lovely route with some spectacular views, having said that I would probably stick to the N route, as its also looking good with many pull ins and lay byes.
I know....I am a chicken, but our van is too new and too expensive to take this "Risky looking" road, but praise to all that try it and make it safely.

Thanks again, happy travels.

Les & TinaL

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
but our van is too new and too expensive

That was the main reason I didn't risk the entrance to the aires in Oleron! But really, aside from those effing gravel trucks, it's an easy route. I think we made it to the med near Valencia in about 6 hours, pass included. If you travelled weekend, perhaps you'd miss the trucks. Literally!

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
There were a lot of roadworks from the top down on the French side, including a whole new motorway class section. If there's a tight section that hasn't been replaced, just tuck in behind a bigger truck, let him force the way through. I don't really remember that many tight bits.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back