Pasta Water In Your Grey Tank (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I seem to find it's not the waste traps that are a problem Jim, but the tank overflow vent. Trying to work out if I can get a trap device for that.

hmm.. never thought of that, and frankly haven't smelled it from the Hymer.. yet..
I think the tank has a pipe from the top and pointing down to the ground... must have a butchers.

on the RV , both black and grey tanks had stench pipes up to the roof .. which would pull fresh air into the tanks with the naturally draft ..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cheap cola is often said to help kill drain smells - maybe because it upsets the Ph balance in the tank?????

It works for us. If you look at some of the videos you can find on Facebook on alternative uses for Coke then it's not surprising really. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Best way to avoid it is drain your grey water at every stop/ layby. open the door and throw it out, at the same time shouting
' Gardez l'eau'. works for the black potty stuff as well or it did years ago in London, straight out the bedroom window.
Wear a souwester or use an umbrella, when walking passed a place of abode/motorhome

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Best way to avoid it is drain your grey water at every stop/ layby.e

The very best way to avoid smells is not to shower, cook or use the toilet in your motorhome. If you want to further increase the resale value then remove all carpets and replace with mats, cover all seats with throws and, whatever you do, don' t drive it in wet, dirty, hot or dusty conditions.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If your waste tank is 100l capacity and smelly stuff is stuck to the walls of the tank do you have to completely fill the tank, until it comes out the overflow, with a "solution" be it bio wash or Milton to kill the nasties ?

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
If your waste tank is 100l capacity and smelly stuff is stuck to the walls of the tank do you have to completely fill the tank, until it comes out the overflow, with a "solution" be it bio wash or Milton to kill the nasties ?

On our last stop of the trip , when we are parked over the drain, we empty the waste tank and rinse it through with some of the clean water. I then fill the sink with warm ( Not Hot) water and add a good dollop of Tesco bio laundry liquid and let it all run into the tank. We then drive back to the farm where we store the van.

The slopping around as we drive loosens any gunge in the tank and, when the van is parked, we open the drain and let it go onto the stony surface of the parking area under the van. In umpteen years of doing this, despite the stuff coming out looking like bits of bodies have been in the tank, we appear to have done no damage to our parking area.

Edit to add; if you can leave the water and bio liquid in the sink for a while before releasing it then it has the additional advantage of leaving the stainless steel sink much cleaner and shinier than I can get it normally.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never worry too much about what goes down obviously not fat, providing the sink outlets have a desent trap it's not a problem can be a bit smelly when emptying if it's not emptied for a few days.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
, providing the sink outlets have a desent trap .

Yes...our last van had a sink trap and we never had smells in the van. This one does not have a trap and we get terrible smells coming up the 3 drains in the bathroom floor,even with plugs in them.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I seem to find it's not the waste traps that are a problem Jim, but the tank overflow vent. Trying to work out if I can get a trap device for that.
Holding tanks on yachts often have a charcoal filter on the vent, Lee sanitation probably have something you could use.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Afraid to say that I am old enough to remember help my mother wallpaper our house with.......flour and water paste !!! and did it stick!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back