password managers (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i think its time i sorted myself out some password manager software. i have been looking at Norton Identity Safe.

any comments on what others use or on the Norton product would be welcome:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I would not have Norton on any machine of mine. They have a terrible record of providing bloated solutions that cause more problems than they solve.

Password software I would recommend though are Roboform or Last Pass :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have used the Norton one, now called Identity Safe for about 4 years. It's very good for managing passwords AS LONG AS YOU DONT EVER LOSE THE PASSWORD FOR IDENTITY SAFE! If you do it deletes all your logins and you have to start again, as I found out! I had over 200 to re-source - get new usernames/passwords for, which was very tedious - I still have a few to get!

If you buy Norton 360 it is included, and 360 can be installed on up to 3 machines, so very helpful... :thumb:

Catherine

OP
OP
Phill D
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
lastpass looks quite good and premium does much more than i need, but allows me to use it on my tablet :thumb:

still looking before the final decision over the weekend.

jools66

Free Member
Jul 5, 2011
Fulltime Devon/Europe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FT since 04/12
:thumb: here for RoboForm we have used it on a few machines for 8/9 years. Free one is good, fully functional just a limit to how many passwords it will save.

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
Used Lastpass for the last few years, Works well. I do have the premium version now for phone/ table use.

Cheers

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
lastpass again here, used it for ages and it does what it says on the tin

wouldnt touch anything from Norton for a number of reasons, but basically it screws with your system and settings. heard many many first hand accounts of people having to format disks and reinstall windows to get rid of Norton software.

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Keeper on everything i and also my laptop. They all sync. Used it for 2 years and no problems.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Lastpass here as well.

I would also strongly recommend you avoid ALL Norton products.

Jan 13, 2008
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 2008
Love my lastpass

I have 2 separate log ons one for work and one for home ::bigsmile:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
IMO - always go "open source" - never paid for or locked down as you never really know what it does. Open source for password managers means many geeks check the code for anything iffy.

As such, KeePass is my preferred choice

Also, agree with above, avoid Norton if you can. I have removed Norton 360 et al from more machines than I care to remember after clients have issues with it, slow downs etc - its bloated and designed for "home users who believe the hype" - mainly from places that get huge amount of comission for selling it....

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
IMO - always go "open source" - never paid for or locked down as you never really know what it does. Open source for password managers means many geeks check the code for anything iffy.

As such, KeePass is my preferred choice

Also, agree with above, avoid Norton if you can. I have removed Norton 360 et al from more machines than I care to remember after clients have issues with it, slow downs etc - its bloated and designed for "home users who believe the hype" - mainly from places that get huge amount of comission for selling it....

Well it's OK if you are an expert computerist and know what you are doing, or if you are running any sophisticated business on your machine(s). As an aging amateur I need something I can reasonably understand which doesn't cause me too much grief either in installing or running. I have been quite happy with Norton - it hasn't given me much trouble over the last n years and it isn't very expensive for what it is! :Smile:

Catherine

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,

I use Dashlane, does what I want with storage, strong password generation and automatic login.

Steve

:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I use an old skool method, note book with all our bank details and internet passwords in.

Its totally secure, we keep it in our top drawer, in the living room, at our house, at Number 48 Acacia Avenue, Downham St. Martin.

Nobody would ever find it there!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back