Passports and docs (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Lunar
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi folks A newby here just subscribed , got a question, we are heading for a europe tour hopefully next year if covid allows !! The question is what do youz do with your passport and documents while away i.e use a safe, or carry them about, hide ??

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In many countries you are required to carry id with you, usually your passport.
it’s well worth keeping a photograph of relevant docs on your tablet or phone, just in case 😜

And we keep hard copy hidden away in the motorhome just in case the phones / camera get lost / stolen. We also leave copies of important stuff with family members - things like numbers to call for credit cards as well as document details / insurance and so on and so forth.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
it’s well worth keeping a photograph of relevant docs on your tablet or phone, just in case 😜

And also "in the cloud" just in case you lose everything and need to get temporary travel documents from a UK Embassy to travel home. Same for driving licence, insurance documents, copy of mobile-phone address book etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
And also "in the cloud" just in case you lose everything and need to get temporary travel documents from a UK Embassy to travel home. Same for driving licence, insurance documents, copy of mobile-phone address book etc.
Phone numbers are very important, always keep copy of important numbers, I lost my phone at the airport once and couldn't remember my daughter's number, and I was meeting her in LA. I had to call my office from a payphone and get them to check the phone bill, lucky it was a company phone.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We also emailed a copy to our daughter in case of disasters. We hadn’t thought of it before but were due to fly out to visit her in Bangladesh in March haha and had to send her copies of our passport for when we arrived. She’s in the High Commission so we were going to be able to bypass the queues! That made me think it would be a good idea if she had a copy of everything as well. If I forgot everything else I couldn’t forget her email address.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There is a good (free) app called LastPass
It works on your PC and your phone

As long as you can remember the one master password, you can then store all your passwords, credit card details as emergency attached files (passport, driving licence, insurance etc) using the app.

As I have over 300 different log on's I have the paid for version of the app, and I keep every password there, including the one for MotorhomeFun.

The PC's and phone that I use have no passwords stored at all, for anything, they are all on LastPass

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There is a good (free) app called LastPass
It works on your PC and your phone

As long as you can remember the one master password, you can then store all your passwords, credit card details as emergency attached files (passport, driving licence, insurance etc) using the app.

As I have over 300 different log on's I have the paid for version of the app, and I keep every password there, including the one for MotorhomeFun.

The PC's and phone that I use have no passwords stored at all, for anything, they are all on LastPass
I've used Lastpass sing Gromett mentioned it a while back, it's brilliant - I haven't bothered with the paid version as the free one does all that I need.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi folks A newby here just subscribed , got a question, we are heading for a europe tour hopefully next year if covid allows !! The question is what do youz do with your passport and documents while away i.e use a safe, or carry them about, hide ??
We have the originals hidden away inside the MH out of sight but retrievable from inside the vehicle (ie we don't have to exit it to get at them), we also have copies of the V5C and insurance easily to hand in case we need to show them, if they insist on the originals we just get them out. We also have them all scanned and put on a couple of USB sticks which we carry around with us all the time.

I have considered storing them on my phone but if the phone ever gets nicked I wouldn't want someone to have access to all of our docs as this would give them more stuff to use fraudulently. I'm also not keen on putting them on the cloud, or even send them to myself in an email, as people's accounts do get hacked.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
What do people, including locals, do about carrying ID, where legally required to do so, when one goes swimming? Even if police would not expect you to have it in the water, leaving it in clothes on a beach is a bit of a risk, especially if there are illegal immigrants on that coast.

Geoff

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
What do people, including locals, do about carrying ID, where legally required to do so, when one goes swimming? Even if police would not expect you to have it in the water, leaving it in clothes on a beach is a bit of a risk, especially if there are illegal immigrants on that coast.

Geoff
I have a smal waterproof pouch, given to me by a friend, it goes round my neck when I am in the sea

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Even if police would not expect you to have it in the water,
they would here. Even jet skiing you are required to have the owner ship documents, your licence to use it
( even if rented) your public liability insurance, iD card, etc all with you when out. Same with any type of boat

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
On the beach. Bury them in a container in the sand under one corner ( don’t forget which one ) of your towel. 😆

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back