Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Hi

Scout will be getting a passport for our holidays next year.

I understand that we have to see a vet no longer than 120 hours and more than 24 hours before ARRIVAL in the uk.

If we were to get the ferry from Spain on a Monday afternoon to arrive Tuesday afternoon would we have a problem at check in if we saw a vet first thing Monday morning?

Alternatively are vets generally open on a Saturday in Spain or France? Not sure where we will be yet?

Seeing a vet on a Friday seems a bit close to cut off point if there are delays.

I don't want to commit to a ferry and then struggle to see a vet.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes. check in is classed as the start of entry in to UK so it needs to be a minimum of 24 hours before check in.
Vets are open on saturdays in spain. I assume some would be in France ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think you may have a problem if you leave it until Monday morning as it is usually when you are scheduled to depart from abroad that the time is taken into account as you go through a UK border check at that point so are, AFAIK, then classed as having 'entered' UK control and rules/regs so if you do the vet on Monday morning and then are due to board on Monday afternoon you could be refused 'entry'.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As the others have said it's your departure time that's important, not your arrival time, so seeing a vet some time on Friday for a Monday PM ferry will be right in the middle of the allowed window so perfect.

Vets are generally open on a Saturday but often only in the morning.

Don't leave it too late in the UK to get the passport. You won't be able to travel out until 21 days after the rabies vaccination.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Don't get stressed and cut it fine. Vets in France open Saturday am. I like to do mine 2 days before, in the morning. Most Vets will see you on a no appointment basis but be prepared to wait or return later.
Ferry Wednesday, vet Monday morning. No stress, then walk dog on beach, do the wine shopping. But I don't do late or hurried.
Be prepared to pay around €30 for a medium sized dog.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Unfortunately we can't leave Spain later than the Monday but we will make sure we know of a vet where we need to be!

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Perhaps if more travellers who go abroad would post which Vet they used, prices and opening times then I could add more and more Vets to the Google Map and it would be beneficial to people who ask the type of question the OP would like answering.

It doesn't take more than a few minutes to remember the details of which Vet you used this year, does it?

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Also make sure that the time of the visit is also included by the vet on the passport, we saw someone turned away for another 24 hours plus as he did not have the time shown, he had to find another vet to get a new stamp and wait for a further 24 hours.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Also make sure that the time of the visit is also included by the vet on the passport, we saw someone turned away for another 24 hours plus as he did not have the time shown, he had to find another vet to get a new stamp and wait for a further 24 hours.
Or, as in our case, the vet recorded completely the wrong date! Fortunately I noticed the next day and we were able to return to the vets. The moral is definitely CHECK the DATE & TIME recorded by the vet before you leave the surgery!!

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I agree, you must check the details.
A couple in front of us we're refused, at Pet Passport control in September, the Vet had signed and dated but on the wrong page. They were told to find another vet who may just change it or they would have to get the dog retreated and wait till 24hrs were up!
Be be careful and use a knowledgeable Vet.
Chris

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Perhaps if more travellers who go abroad would post which Vet they used, prices and opening times then I could add more and more Vets to the Google Map and it would be beneficial to people who ask the type of question the OP would like answering.

It doesn't take more than a few minutes to remember the details of which Vet you used this year, does it?

I will consider myself reprimanded....lol

We used a Vet in Vihiers (Loire) when there in September '16.The reception staff and Vet spoke reasonable good English, certainly better than my French. The small site we were staying on kindly phoned and made an appointment for us. Excellent service but it cost!
Clinique Vetinaire Maupassant
13 Rue Nationals
49310 VIHIERS
Tel 0241561342

Our medium sized Springer Spaniel cost €46.60 but she did have a full check up- temperature, listened to heart and chest etc.as well as administering the tablets
Chris

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Zoppydog - thanks for the info - Vet added to the Google Map - please let me know if the Vet's information is correct or not.

Yes that's correct, I should have mentioned the parking. It is a big carpark with good access off the main road
Chris

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I agree, you must check the details.
A couple in front of us we're refused, at Pet Passport control in September, the Vet had signed and dated but on the wrong page. They were told to find another vet who may just change it or they would have to get the dog retreated and wait till 24hrs were up!
Be be careful and use a knowledgeable Vet.
Chris
Utterly ridiculous when most spanish vets just use the next page when the others are all full up . I take it that was the tunnel.

Or, as in our case, the vet recorded completely the wrong date! Fortunately I noticed the next day and we were able to return to the vets. The moral is definitely CHECK the DATE & TIME recorded by the vet before you leave the surgery!!
I don't have that problem as I tell them the day ,date & time that I want put on it.(y):LOL:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Good advice.

I've been in the queue at Pet Passport control and the person in front has not been allowed to travel because the vet had neglected to put the time in.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi

Scout will be getting a passport for our holidays next year.

I understand that we have to see a vet no longer than 120 hours and more than 24 hours before ARRIVAL in the uk.

If we were to get the ferry from Spain on a Monday afternoon to arrive Tuesday afternoon would we have a problem at check in if we saw a vet first thing Monday morning?

Alternatively are vets generally open on a Saturday in Spain or France? Not sure where we will be yet?

Seeing a vet on a Friday seems a bit close to cut off point if there are delays.

I don't want to commit to a ferry and then struggle to see a vet.

Thanks
@Stacetop Are you saying that he does not have a passport at the moment?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
gus-lopez - would you mind telling us the name, address and price you pay at the Vet you use and I'll add it to the Google map?

Not a lot of use to anyone in a motorhome as it is my local vet in town & A) you can't get near it with a motorhome & certainly can't park, even with a car, & B) it is within a 6m length restricted area.
& I don't usually have to pay anything, except 3€ for tablet, but that wouldn't apply for someone coming in off the street.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
@Speve No Scout hasn't got his passport yet he's only little!! He will be getting it in time for our travels next year!!

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Loads of vets around Santander, posted a few on here somewhere, Thursday pm or Friday will be fine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't leave it too late in the UK to get the passport. You won't be able to travel out until 21 days after the rabies vaccination.
My understanding is that you can travel out on the day of the rabies jab if you like but cannot come back into the UK/past a UK border until the 21 days has lapsed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Utterly ridiculous when most spanish vets just use the next page when the others are all full up . I take it that was the tunnel.
Vets will do that when it relates to the clinical examination and the ferries/tunnel always accept this, however the actual worming tablet details MUST be entered on the correct pages.

I don't have that problem as I tell them the day ,date & time that I want put on it.(y):LOL:
So long as your travel is then still within the regulated time period of 1-5 days from treatment I can't see a problem and at least you know it's been done right. Unfortunately though some people have admitted on forums that they've had it done much earlier so by the time they get to the port/chunnel they are outside the 5 day period, something which I do NOT condone as this could be putting all our pets at risk at home if they bring something nasty in with them.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Stacetop Are you in Europe at present?If he hasn't got a passport as you say you are going to have trouble getting back into UK with him he will have to be quaranteened or you are going to have to stay over there longer to get his passport there and have his rabies injections done.
On re reading thread it looks like you have left him at home this year so no problems then:rolleyes:

Last edited:

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
gus-lopez - you have a Pet Passport for your pet and we have a Pet Passport for our dog and I don't mind walking for something very cheap or even free.

Go on, tell us which Vet it is and let us decide whether to use them or not.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
From the government website.
Timing is taken from arrival into UK, not departure from Europe.
Screenshot_2016-10-27-09-16-00.png

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-10-27-09-16-00.png
    340.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_2016-10-27-09-16-00.png
    340.8 KB · Views: 1

Marzipan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1990-1993 and 2013 onwards

Thanks Keith for this really really useful googlemap of vets. We're taking our new puppy on our next trip to France/Spain/Portugal and so were looking for advice and what to do re return vet check

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back