Passport Renewals (1 Viewer)

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Thats if the new passports are available. The irony of French-made blue passports that cannot be imported to the UK because a no deal Brexit means that no trade agreement will be in place to allow the blue passports to enter the UK.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Mr Del A Rue the UK printer must be rubbing his hands at the prospect of a no deal

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Thats if the new passports are available. The irony of French-made blue passports that cannot be imported to the UK because a no deal Brexit means that no trade agreement will be in place to allow the blue passports to enter the UK.

Well - I for one may renew my passport 2 years early to retain the present EU membership passport!! I’m very proud to be an EU citizen!! :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Mine expires March 2019 - just looked up countries that require 6 months to find that Spain requires 3 months left.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

That’s nonsense though, isn’t it? Are you really suggesting that even if we leave on WTO terms
all trade between the U.K. and EU countries will come to an end? We did trade with Europe even before we joined the Common Market.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
That’s nonsense though, isn’t it? Are you really suggesting that even if we leave on WTO terms
all trade between the U.K. and EU countries will come to an end? We did trade with Europe even before we joined the Common Market.

I'm always amazed at everyone welcoming the idea that we will trade on WTO terms from day one,
we will not be part of the WTO until ALL other members ratify our schedule of membership.

"Both the UK and the EU filed documents in Geneva outlining the terms they will use to trade with the rest of the world after Brexit - and the two submissions are fundamentally different.

The UK is currently a WTO member in its own right. The issue is it does not have an independent schedule of concessions for the WTO - that's the menu upon which Britain trades with the rest of the world.

"It needs to have that if it's going to strike trade deals. And the way that its approach is different from that of the EU is the UK wants to replicate its current trade WTO commitments by making just a few technical changes and then submitting it to the WTO for certification."

The problem is that the UK's terms at the WTO are enshrined in our membership of the EU, so this approach seems optimistic as our market will be smaller than the EU's market.

The rest of the WTO membership now have 90 days to raise their objections. As WTO members, everyone has a right to say whether their trade would be affected. I'm told several major countries are already planning to object to the UK's approach.

The US, Brazil and New Zealand have already said they don't agree to the UK's plan. A major sticking point for them is the fact that the EU and the UK share a quota system that limits imports of sensitive goods like beef, lamb and sugar. The UK cannot simply replicate these quotas and has proposed to split them with the EU based on historical trade flows.

All of this means that if and when they object and ask for a better deal, Britain will be simultaneously be negotiating a trade deal with the EU and the WTO.

Of trading with the WTO countries, There are no sharks in Lake Geneva, but the WTO is full of them. They smell blood in the water and they're going to demand their pound of flesh."

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Passports renewed before March will presumably be maroon EU style

Will they be OK after March?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm always amazed at everyone welcoming the idea that we will trade on WTO terms from day one,
we will not be part of the WTO until ALL other members ratify our schedule of membership.

"Both the UK and the EU filed documents in Geneva outlining the terms they will use to trade with the rest of the world after Brexit - and the two submissions are fundamentally different.

The UK is currently a WTO member in its own right. The issue is it does not have an independent schedule of concessions for the WTO - that's the menu upon which Britain trades with the rest of the world.

"It needs to have that if it's going to strike trade deals. And the way that its approach is different from that of the EU is the UK wants to replicate its current trade WTO commitments by making just a few technical changes and then submitting it to the WTO for certification."

The problem is that the UK's terms at the WTO are enshrined in our membership of the EU, so this approach seems optimistic as our market will be smaller than the EU's market.

The rest of the WTO membership now have 90 days to raise their objections. As WTO members, everyone has a right to say whether their trade would be affected. I'm told several major countries are already planning to object to the UK's approach.

The US, Brazil and New Zealand have already said they don't agree to the UK's plan. A major sticking point for them is the fact that the EU and the UK share a quota system that limits imports of sensitive goods like beef, lamb and sugar. The UK cannot simply replicate these quotas and has proposed to split them with the EU based on historical trade flows.

All of this means that if and when they object and ask for a better deal, Britain will be simultaneously be negotiating a trade deal with the EU and the WTO.

Of trading with the WTO countries, There are no sharks in Lake Geneva, but the WTO is full of them. They smell blood in the water and they're going to demand their pound of flesh."
Don't point out difficulties you will annoy some people who think its still going to be have cake and eat it

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp

Then there is the issue if the tarriffs we decide to impose, if any. Then ithe most favoured nation rulescome into play.

So for example we decide a 0% trariff on lamb (say )then if a ship load if lamb arrives at port from anywhere else the world it has to be allowed in at 0% tariff.
I think! Then there are standards of goods etc.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Then there is the issue if the tarriffs we decide to impose, if any. Then ithe most favoured nation rulescome into play.

So for example we decide a 0% trariff on lamb (say )then if a ship load if lamb arrives at port from anywhere else the world it has to be allowed in at 0% tariff.
I think! Then there are standards of goods etc.
Thats the way I understand it too unless we have a trade deal set up with one country we have to charge the same tariffs to others under WTO. The EU will therefore have to charge us the same tariffs as the rest of the world once we leave after a period of transition as we are leaving a trade deal with them . This would appear to restrict us having zero tariffs with some countries and not others and as we seem to be only able to move at a glacial pace will mean it will take years to sort out new trade deals to try and replace our tariff free trade in the eu at present if the brexit politicians know this why have they not made it clear?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Another thread that starts as a genuine topic (Passports) and ends up with remoaning about lamb tariffs....WTF
Did you read the original link? The cause of the reduction in passeport validity is when we leave the EU we will have to have apasseport issued within the last 10 years to enter the Schengen area so they are not adding the time to expiry of previous passeports to renewed ones. The cause is brexit so its reasonable to look at other things being affected that are not being reported ( the passeport change was sneaked in with no-one told). Just because you don't like the effects discussed and brand them as "remoaning"........WTF

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
@the who
Yes i read the original thread

You yourself have made a Quantum leap saying
“When we leave the EU....this WILL happen”

I dont CARE about the “effects” as you call them that NO ONE knows about in advance.....just currently here say
This advice from government is about the “in-case” scenario
However and more accurately, My comment was about how we got to Lamb Tariffs, and the WTO from Passports

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
@the who
Yes i read the original thread

You yourself have made a Quantum leap saying
“When we leave the EU....this WILL happen”

I dont CARE about the “effects” as you call them that NO ONE knows about in advance.....just currently here say
This advice from government is about the “in-case” scenario
However and more accurately, My comment was about how we got to Lamb Tariffs, and the WTO from Passports
But the passeport change has happened now so not an "if". I suppose we could not discuss anything until it actually happens then realise its too late just seems daft to me. We got from one to the other because the likely cause is the same.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think the OP was just trying to be helpful as well. I had read the original Martin Lewis email and he pointed out that the change had been brought in with no warning whatsover and that was the frustrating part so people who were organised and liked to get everything done in plenty of time especially those who need/want to travel to places further afield than Europe with the 6 months validity on their passport were dipping out. I would have been annoyed if I'd done mine in plenty of time and in the days whilst it was waiting to be processed the rules changed and I lost the 9 months, especially if I'd paid the premium at the Post Office to have it checked! Not sure what happened with the online ones.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We both had our passports renewed last November, so look's like we timed it well. More luck than judgement. For what's it worth, I just cant see the UK and the other 26 E.U. countries agreeing a deal! Only takes one of them to veto any agreement and It's beyond me how the Chequers deal as it currently stands will be accepted by the E.U. and according to the media will be voted down by to many UK M.P's. Looks to me like a no deal for certain. As long as we leave and take control of our own destiny that's good for me. Why would any country not choose to control it's own destiny is a mystery to me.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Thought they were printed in uk by de la rue,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Blame Nigel F....Why didn't he warn us of this prior to the vote. All passports must be no more than ten years old..:)

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
But the passeport change has happened now so not an "if". I suppose we could not discuss anything until it actually happens then realise its too late just seems daft to me. We got from one to the other because the likely cause is the same.

Well that passport change is ok then(We are still in the E.U.)sadly:ROFLMAO:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mine expires March 2019 - just looked up countries that require 6 months to find that Spain requires 3 months left.
Mine runs out Fed 2019, off to Portugal beginning of October only for 6 weeks so should be OK. Never had my passport checked in Spain anyway. Was going to renew it when we got back probably leave it until Jan/Feb now as usually only takes a week in the winter.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Mine runs out Fed 2019, off to Portugal beginning of October only for 6 weeks so should be OK. Never had my passport checked in Spain anyway. Was going to renew it when we got back probably leave it until Jan/Feb now as usually only takes a week in the winter.

I think most passports are scanned - at the airport or getting off the ferry in Spain
(y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thought they were printed in uk by de la rue,,,BUSBY,,
They lost out on the new post Brexit blue ones. to a French company. :rofl: Youcan't make this stuff up.

I think most passports are scanned - at the airport or getting off the ferry in Spain
(y)
But as Lenny said if you get it scanned in France & then wander off through other countries no one has any idea where you actually are.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back