Passport Renewal (1 Viewer)

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Just renewed our British Passports. Excellent service. Took selfies on the mobile phone, applied on line, posted old passports in....... new passports arrived 5 days later!

If anyone has not yet seen the new British Blue ones...... there has obviously been much effort gone into making it difficult to forge. However, I think the cover is very flimsy compared with previous versions and I find it staggering that the UK Government placed the contract to manufacture these with a French company!

A word of warning...... Be aware that Passport validity is now only 10 years from the date of issue. Hitherto, if you applied for renewal before expiry you were credited with up to 9 months extra on the expiry date of the new passport. This no longer applies. Also, in common with many other countries, entry to the EU now requires a minimum of 6 months remaining validity on your passport on the day of entry. This is 6 months before the end of the 10 year period since issue. In our case, at the previous renewal (some 10 years ago) we had several months remaining on our previous passports. They were issued in March 2011 with an expiry date in December 2021. With 9 months apparently remaining I thought we were good to go to Europe this summer (Covid rules permitting..... seems very unlikely now). So far as the EU is concerned this would not be the case. 10 years from issue expired in March.

Suggest others may be wish to check their passports now in case there is a rush and and a backlog when travel re-opens and folk discover they do not have a valid passport i.e. With a minimum remaining period of 6 months before 10 years from the date of issue.

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Yes. You must post the old Passports to them. They cut off one top corner of the cover to show no longer valid and post it back to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
Yes. You must post the old Passports to them. They cut off one top corner of the cover to show no longer valid and post it back to you.
But is that before they will send the new one out, website currently advising it could be a ten week wait for delivery. That's a long time without a passport, it is ok for us now but it would have caused serious problems as we crossed the channel most weekends on our bikes

OP
OP
Millcourt
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
You will not get a new one issued before they receive the old one. As mentioned above, we got ours back 5 days after applying. We posted the old Passports in the same day we applied on-line.

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Got ours within a week, I posted our old passports by recorded delivery, which had two months remaining, but unusable. New ones delivered by a private delivery company, forgotten their name. Old ones returned by Royal Mail.
One other thing that may help is, if you fail with your selfies the Post Office and Max Spielman in Tesco also take your pictures and you select the one you want out of four. This is entered into the system and you are given a code number. Cost per set of photos about £10. When you fill in the online application form, put in the given code and up will come your photo. Send off together with your fee of £75, job done.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I renewed mine about 6 weeks ago. Did it all on line. Took a selfie. Posted old one off and new one arrived within a week.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Yes mine was only a week ,its a shame the dvla can't do the same service

Jul 27, 2010
Farnham Surrey
Funster No
MH
Bilbos Nexa
Exp
on and off since 1980
So far so good, took selfies and filled forms in on Sunday, received confirmation and request to send in old passports on Monday. Posted passports yesterday, Tuesday, confirmation received today, Wednesday, that they have been received. Excellent

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
But is that before they will send the new one out, website currently advising it could be a ten week wait for delivery. That's a long time without a passport, it is ok for us now but it would have caused serious problems as we crossed the channel most weekends on our bikes
You used to be able to go to a regional passport office and them renewed in a day...
Checked, you still can [but it's expensive]
You can also pay for a one week service.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
My driving licence renewal took five days..BUSBY.
only because a machine did it , if you needed a medical my wifes took 8 months

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
only because a machine did it , if you needed a medical my wifes took 8 months
I have renewed with a medical but that was 6 years ago and that only took 10 days..Probably delays caused by Covid, but I know that if there is just one mistake on any of the forms it can cause big delays.BUSBY.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I have renewed with a medical but that was 6 years ago and that only took 10 days..Probably delays caused by Covid, but I know that if there is just one mistake on any of the forms it can cause big delays.BUSBY.
it took them 4 months to send the form for an eye test

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back