Passport Renewal (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2020
Woking, Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
Before I write this, some of you are going to say "why bother". But ever the optimist....
Many of you will probably know all this but here is my experience:-
I decided to renew my passport as it is due to expire soon. I had my mug shot done at a booth in Asda that told me when the picture taken was going to be good enough before it published it. The booth then emailed me the photos and a code to use on the renewal form.
I then posted the form 1st class Royal Mail on Monday and with copious emails sent to me helping to track my application, the new (blue) passport dropped through my door Friday! 3 days turn around!
So I was very impressed that even during lockdown the system works and very quickly too.
Jackanory has now finished. šŸ‘šŸ˜

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Touch wood.. But never had an issue with passport office or DVLA always been spot on for me..
It is good to hear a positive report (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Before I write this, some of you are going to say "why bother". But ever the optimist....
Many of you will probably know all this but here is my experience:-
I decided to renew my passport as it is due to expire soon. I had my mug shot done at a booth in Asda that told me when the picture taken was going to be good enough before it published it. The booth then emailed me the photos and a code to use on the renewal form.
I then posted the form 1st class Royal Mail on Monday and with copious emails sent to me helping to track my application, the new (blue) passport dropped through my door Friday! 3 days turn around!
So I was very impressed that even during lockdown the system works and very quickly too.
Jackanory has now finished. šŸ‘šŸ˜
Afraid my application is very different, did mine online on the 19 Nov, then they sent me an email , I had got to send my old passport in, so why they said online is best when I had to send my old one by post I don't know :doh: anyway heard nothing for two days then had another email , I had got to send my birth certificate, done all this with signed for post which says they have had them, then not another word, and I can't get the tracking thing to work, so just don't know what is happening now.
They have my old passport which had 6 months left on it, my money and my birth certificate, I have nowt and can't find out anything.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Afraid my application is very different, did mine online on the 19 Nov, then they sent me an email , I had got to send my old passport in, so why they said online is best when I had to send my old one by post I don't know :doh: anyway heard nothing for two days then had another email , I had got to send my birth certificate, done all this with signed for post which says they have had them, then not another word, and I can't get the tracking thing to work, so just don't know what is happening now.
They have my old passport which had 6 months left on it, my money and my birth certificate, I have nowt and can't find out anything.
Actually it's not the 19th that was when they sent the last email the actually took my money out of the bank on the 10th.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Mine has years to run but I'm tempted to get another just so long as it's blue.
There is a rumour that the French couldn't be bothered and have subbed the printing out to the Poles. So your new blue passport is from the EU.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I'm waiting for a new passport.

Started the renewal process (& paid!) on the 4th Nov.
Had to later send two passports. An expired one and the current one.
And redo my mug shot :eek:
No updates since the "we're now working on your application" status on the 13th.
Hmm. I'd better call & chase by the end of the week.

edit: as it's bang on 3 weeks since the start. I guess they'll want some leeway on the corrective actions needed. lol

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We haven't renewed our passports yet, because of caring responsibilitys we can't go abroad at the moment, and that is apart from Covid making it difficult for months, so we will renew when we are in a position to use them. The cost of a passport is not excessive when you consider it last 10 years, but I am from Yorkshire so I can't see the benefit of an early renewal šŸ˜‰

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If you let your passport expire then it is more of a palaver to get a new one than if you just renew it nowadays. Itā€™s almost as if you are applying for a first ever passport so if your application is anything other than completely straightforward it is probably worth renewing before expiry of the old one. Saves having to get signatures from upstanding citizens. You can even be asked to attend an interview.

You have to return your old passport whether you apply online or by post, nothing new there.

No need to do it early, just donā€™t let it expire.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Think the interview is automatic - we as a family had all got a holiday booked in Lanzarote right now - so obviously that was cancelled and ticked over to next year but anyway, I renewed my passport in July and had grave difficulty getting them to accept a photo because although the Apps say you are allowed a fringe, they don't allow it - but anyway, our younger daughter and all her family, so here, her 4 daughters and her eldests daughter's daughter, all needed passports for the first time. They all had to treck into Birmingham to attend an interview including the little one.

Batty considering we were all in the first lockdown. I'd just renew it if I were you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Deleted User
Lost mine in Portugal, waiting for a new one, applied online, no idea where the office is!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
the General register office side of it thogh is a bit lax.

News to me?

Why?

Here we have to send /apply to Belfast I believe?
Mine went to Liverpool, I am just a bit concerned, that it has gone to the right place or if it is some devious scam, as I was getting emails and texts every day till I had sent everything, now nothing.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
There is a rumour that the French couldn't be bothered and have subbed the printing out to the Poles. So your new blue passport is from the EU.
But doesnā€™t say it !!!!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ok lads (y) (y)
I have just got to them on the phone and got a very pleasant bloke who has told me it was all done at 12 o clock today and will be in the post tonight(y)(y)(y)
Btw if anyone one else wants to contact them, it was very painless , just two options and was answered in less than a minute.(y):Smile:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Think the interview is automatic - we as a family had all got a holiday booked in Lanzarote right now - so obviously that was cancelled and ticked over to next year but anyway, I renewed my passport in July and had grave difficulty getting them to accept a photo because although the Apps say you are allowed a fringe, they don't allow it - but anyway, our younger daughter and all her family, so here, her 4 daughters and her eldests daughter's daughter, all needed passports for the first time. They all had to treck into Birmingham to attend an interview including the little one.

Batty considering we were all in the first lockdown. I'd just renew it if I were you.
Is this new? I have a fringe in all my passports but had to take my glasses off for the last photo ended up having one done as I couldn't read the machine instructions without them. Wonder if it depends on the length of the fringe.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If you let your passport expire then it is more of a palaver to get a new one than if you just renew it nowadays. Itā€™s almost as if you are applying for a first ever passport so if your application is anything other than completely straightforward it is probably worth renewing before expiry of the old one. Saves having to get signatures from upstanding citizens. You can even be asked to attend an interview.

You have to return your old passport whether you apply online or by post, nothing new there.

No need to do it early, just donā€™t let it expire.
Whatā€™s harder about renewing an expired passport? You can use the same online site šŸ¤”
Itā€™ll be hard if you donā€™t have it available to enter the details from it but I had my 2019 passport with me when I filled the online form in.
I had to post it to them and the application was on hold until they received it.
But that would be the same as extending a current one.

edit: them starting my application is when things went wrong as they remembered I had two passports... ā˜¹ļø

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
My passport expired at the beginning of this year, my driving license runs out in Jan 2021 but can't renew it online as my passport isn't valid.

Was going to post it but if the passport turnaround is that good may try renewing that first so I can do my license online. Posting anything to DVLA over xmas I may as well just lose it myself and save the postage.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

Not really correct. Gemalto won the contract and decided the best location to print the passports. The irony is that the Tczew factory in Poland received a pretty hefty EU subsidy for the new press that's churning out the new blue passports:LOL:

Deleted User
Can you do it online if you live abroad as you never used to be able to?

I still have an address in the UK and at the moment a UK driving licence, so I used that address, they know that it was lost in Portugal, reported to the police etc.
It will be sent to my UK address, no questions about how I am going to return to the UK.

Nov 8, 2015
Rakitnika, Varna, Bulgaria
Funster No
MH
Damon Daybreak RV
Exp
Now in fifth year and with American RV
You can renew online from your registered residency abroad, you just get stitched up for thirty odd euros for the " secure " delivery by DHL ! Just go to the online gov site and select " renewal from abroad " simple.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
<snip>
I had to post it to them and the application was on hold until they received it.
But that would be the same as extending a current one.

edit: them starting my application is when things went wrong as they remembered I had two passports... ā˜¹
It has taken 'them' awhile to process my application so I called to chase.
There's an 18/11/2020 note on my application that I haven't sent the requested extra info :eek:
But I have a 13/11/2020 PoD that they DO have the package with that info. :eek:

Hopefully their investigation into the above will get sorted quickly and how I needed.

tl;dr
Thanks for having this thread. I may've waited a few days longer to chase with out the positive feedback others have of the process.

Deleted User
Applied 11th Nov after losing passport, on way to UK address now, just have to get it to Portugal now.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It has taken 'them' awhile to process my application so I called to chase.
There's an 18/11/2020 note on my application that I haven't sent the requested extra info :eek:
But I have a 13/11/2020 PoD that they DO have the package with that info. :eek:

Hopefully their investigation into the above will get sorted quickly and how I needed.

tl;dr
Thanks for having this thread. I may've waited a few days longer to chase with out the positive feedback others have of the process.
The misplaced correspondence has been found and now my renewal is being worked on (01/12/2020).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back