Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Can i have a passenger in the back of the mobile home from England to France without a seat belt

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It might depend what age the van is, can in our 2006 as long as the belted seats are occupied.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Never mind the technical legalities.

How would you feel if you risked it and something happened?

Also look on your V5, specifically line S1. This is the number of travelling seats you have. You can't carry more people than this seatbelts or not.

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
Never mind the technical legalities.

How would you feel if you risked it and something happened?

Also look on your V5, specifically line S1. This is the number of travelling seats you have. You can't carry more people than this seatbelts or not.
Cheers mate

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Cheers mate

tell us a bit more then

what MH do you have ?

how many seats?

how many seatbelts

we might understand your need better

I was passed today on the M1 by a motorhome with a female in the back doing her hair, nobody I the front passenger seat

If you are only asking because your passenger/s want to ride in the back and not take a belted option in the front, I also would like to think that common sense prevailed :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
It's a 2 birth 2 seats front 2008 outocrouse starfire motorhome. going to France but 2 friends going camping asked if they could get a lift from us there seats in the back but no belts fitted

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
upload_2017-5-5_18-34-31.png

found this on Auto Trader, guessing it is similar to yours

legally in the UK I believe you can travel with passengers on these bench seats, not sure about in France though, hopefully others will be able to help

but as suggested, if it all goes wrong it could be messy, it needs to be considered (y), but probably safer than hitchhiking (y)

OP
OP
Storm123

Storm123

Free Member
Mar 19, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
Im anewbie
It's totally the same van . Thanks anyway

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
you need to read the info on the link above, think you will find you can't

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
Industry trade body the NCC (National Caravan Council), also points out: “Motorhomes first registered on or after 20 October 2007 must have seat belts for forward and rearward facing seats. These seats must be designated as travelling seats and have a badge stating this. In a vehicle manufactured after this date, if a seat is not badged for travel you should not use it.”

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
There have been a number of changes to the laws relating to the fitting and using of seatbelts in motorhomes.

• Seat belts have been fitted to the front seats of motorhomes since legislation first required them to be fitted and it is mandatory to wear them.
  • In addition, motorhomes first registered on or after 20 October 2007 must have seat belts for forward and rearward facing seats. These seats must be designated as travelling seats and have a badge stating this. In a vehicle manufactured after this date, if a seat is not badged for travel you should not use it.
  • Many motorhomes registered before that date have seat belts fitted, Wherever these are fitted, they should be worn; this has been mandatory since April 2006.
  • EC Directive 2005/39/EC also states that travel in sideways-facing seats with a seat belt is unsafe and that from 20 October 2007, it will not be possible to travel in them in new motorhomes.
This legislation is not retrospective so vehicles registered before 20 October 2007 do not have to have seat belts fitted in the rear.

Please see the Direct.gov website for more seat belt information.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Pre2007 once the seats with belts are used then if you can legally carry more passengers, I can, then it isn't illegal for them not to have belts. Might be dangerous but no different to a bus passenger.
you need to read the info on the link above, think you will find you can't

I did it isn't illegal.Dangerous , not illegal.

Industry trade body the NCC (National Caravan Council), also points out: “Motorhomes first registered on or after 20 October 2007 must have seat belts for forward and rearward facing seats. These seats must be designated as travelling seats and have a badge stating this. In a vehicle manufactured after this date, if a seat is not badged for travel you should not use it.”

after 2007

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
I have looked into this very well as i wanted to do the same, but found its not safe to carry passengers without proper seat belts. Putting seatbelt in a motor home is not straight forward the seat must be have a steel frame seats in a motor home are mostly ply, the other thing is motorhome manufactures would have put them there if it was feasible thats why they are not there.

In this day and age i think it is not worth chancing you are just asking for trouble.
Whether its legal or not an unbelted occupant hitting them with the forces involved in a accident could kill the belted driver and passenger.

My last point is ring your insurance company and say you wish to carry unbelted occupants in the back what ever year, and you will find you won't be insured, if you don't tell them and you have a accident your policy will not cover you or occupants or MH.

http://www.ukmotorhomes.net/motorhome-faqs/17-motorhome-seatbelts

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
From Calais you could get about 10 @£5k a head I should think.

I don't recommend it though.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Our first van was a 2003 Swift, supposedly 4 berth but only 2 belted seats. In our ignorance, we used travel about with adult age passengers in the back, I used to quite like having a lay down whilst being chauffeured by the boss. That said, we wouldn't do it now, not worth the risk.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My last point is ring your insurance company and say you wish to carry unbelted occupants in the back what ever year, and you will find you won't be insured, if you don't tell them and you have a accident your policy will not cover you or occupants or MH.

That's the other thing that the people quoting alleged legal grey areas always refuse to acknowledge.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have looked into this very well as i wanted to do the same, but found its not safe to carry passengers without proper seat belts. Putting seatbelt in a motor home is not straight forward the seat must be have a steel frame seats in a motor home are mostly ply, the other thing is motorhome manufactures would have put them there if it was feasible thats why they are not there
Whether its legal or not an unbelted occupant hitting them with the forces involved in a accident could kill the belted driver and passenger.
Have you considered what happens to the fridge freezer/oven/microwave in a crash at 60mph mostly fitted in plywood cupboards, very few Motorhome manufacturers carry out test crash procedures in fact I think Bailey are the only ones, look on line at results from mill wood
Agree I would consider it very carefully, however as pointed out you don't have them on a lot of buses/coaches yet insist on a simple lap belt on planes travelling at 500mph at 25.000 ft, like that's going to help in a crash

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
/QUOTE]

In practice the insurers would deal with a claim for injuries to the passengers if the cause was due to the negligent driving of the insured but would then institute proceedings to recover their outlay from the insured. This would have very serious financial consequences for the insured.

My advice - don't do it!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Here we go. Anyone who thinks allowing unbelted passengers is a good idea or in any way worth considering should have a read of this. Just the first section will do.

http://www.floridadriver.com/src/English/Regular4/topic/chap02.html

Just for reference 150 pounds is just over 10 and a half stone. 4500 pounds is 2.25 tons.

I can't really add any more. If anyone still wants to carry on quoting loopholes or grey areas in the law then I give up. :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back