Part 3 - Into the Void (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The daily balloon updates became quite addictive - well done John, you certainly achieved all your objectives on your first European flight. If it's still airborne, it could well be over the Pacific heading for North America, judging by the high-level air flow direction. Look forward to your next project with global tracking (y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I saw this flying quite low over our local nature reserve today and thought of you DBK

About midday in Boxmoor, Hemel Hempstead, Herts.

CZ6P0303.jpg

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I saw this flying quite low over our local nature reserve today and thought of you DBK

About midday in Boxmoor, Hemel Hempstead, Herts.

View attachment 433834
Interesting photo and given the location I can identify it - the callsign is SITS-3. The balloon must have just been launched as it subsequently went up to nearly 33,000m and is now on the way down which is why the icon has changed to a parachute. It went on a curious flight path due to the wind being in very different directions at different altitudes.

sits-3.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Worlds End Lane, Western Turville - Only around 15 miles from Boxmoor.

He should get it back ok.

Many thanks for the information DBK

(y)(y)

Last edited:
Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've learned it was a school project but I don't know the name of the school. The name SITS stands for Sent In To Space. :)
And I guess no one expected there was a link with this story and an Iceland chicken nugget? But there is. :)

On tonight's Have I Got News for You there was an item about Iceland sending a chicken nugget into "space" to mark their 50th anniversary. The company who organised this for them, using a balloon I suspect identical to the one in MikeD's post, is called Sent Into Space and are based in Sheffield. This flight was called SITS-2.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I like nuggets of information.

The clever things revealed in these postings has reminded me of what I learned from having a ZX Spectrum back in the early 80s. Now retired and facing a winter with continuing restrictions, I have bought a Raspberry Pi so that I can again play around with programming. Trying to keep the brain cells active but starting from very rusty.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I like nuggets of information.

The clever things revealed in these postings has reminded me of what I learned from having a ZX Spectrum back in the early 80s. Now retired and facing a winter with continuing restrictions, I have bought a Raspberry Pi so that I can again play around with programming. Trying to keep the brain cells active but starting from very rusty.
I like the Pi. There is a huge amount of support and ideas available on line.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Interesting photo and given the location I can identify it - the callsign is SITS-3. The balloon must have just been launched as it subsequently went up to nearly 33,000m and is now on the way down which is why the icon has changed to a parachute. It went on a curious flight path due to the wind being in very different directions at different altitudes.

View attachment 433868

Well done Pixie's Hill School - a little video of the flight

https://youtu.be/NZzevfzOr3I

or find it on here

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
What. Interesting project. Bit deep for me but the suspense was great don’t forget the email address next time😀😀🛰

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back