Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
I'm a newbie
We take ownership of our Motorhome tomorrow. The only fly in the ointment is we own a ring necked parrot, which we would never leave alone. does anyone take a parrot with them on their travels. I'm sure he would be fine in the van, but I worry about the motion once we move. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi Kazken and welcome to the Fun!:welc::party:

I know of at least one funster who travels with a parrot but afraid I cannot remember the name! Somebody will be along soon who has a better memory than I have!(y)

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We all know Pirates used to take their parrots on board ship, so I can't imagine the movement of a Motorhome would bother them.
You could always suspend the cage from a hook, not sure if that would be better or worse, but in their natural habitat, they would be sitting in trees in the wind anyway.
Not sure if this is a helpful post or not...........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

LesleyC

Free Member
Jul 28, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Base bought-no conversion
Exp
None at all, but a fair amount of tent camping experience
Depends on the bird, and its personality. Take him for a short trip in the car and see how he handles it. In our family there is an African Grey that loves to go places, and there was previously a Macaw that did not enjoy being in a car at all - there were obvious signs of distress. Both were transported in cages, strapped to the seats

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We take our parrolet with us. Just sits in his cage behind SWMBO's chair and next to the dogs cage. One chirping his head off, the other panting like mad. And the dogs aren't that quiet either :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Whilst not a parrot the couple we were next to at the weekend had a budgie with them, in a small cage and it travelled in their caravan.

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi Welcome to Fun, yes @jezport always has there beautiful and very large parrot with them, hopefully. He will spot this post and be able to give you some advice. :welc:

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Broken Link Removed

one of our funster parrots on the albumns ... As Carol says, once the owners come and see then I am sure they will advise.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for bumping the thread.

Message to the original poster.
I don't think you need to worry about your ringneck travelling in the van. Our macaw is bigger and heavier and she copes better in the van than the car. The main thing is to ensure that you have a correct size perch.
We used to have a rock pebbler and she was a similar size to a ringneck and she was also fine.

We hope to see you around. We will probably hear each other first. Motorhomes don't absorb the sound of a screaming parrot well.

Upvote 0

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Parked next to a German van in Spain his parrot used to sit on his bike rack only when parked :)

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Depends on the bird, and its personality. Take him for a short trip in the car and see how he handles it. In our family there is an African Grey that loves to go places, and there was previously a Macaw that did not enjoy being in a car at all - there were obvious signs of distress. Both were transported in cages, strapped to the seats

Our parrot travels far better in the van. In our car she occasionally projectile regurgitates but never in the van.

She travels in a dog cage strapped to the rear bed and we are careful about the temperature in hot weather, luckily our van is well insulated. Take care of heat from windows and roof windows.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Not a parrot but our 3 dogs, a Chihuahua and 2 miniature Dachshunds, 2 tortoises a budgie and cockatiel all travel well in various cages on the floor where they cannot see movement. Certainly makes other campers look!

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Not a parrot but our 3 dogs, a Chihuahua and 2 miniature Dachshunds, 2 tortoises a budgie and cockatiel all travel well in various cages on the floor where they cannot see movement. Certainly makes other campers look!
Jesus, don't tell my wife about the tortoise, don't want another cage in the camper.......

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Parked next to a German van in Spain his parrot used to sit on his bike rack only when parked :)
My Parrot sits on my shoulder when I cycle. A kid ran out in front of us once and she was catapulted off me into the air , she flew over the handlebars landing in front all safe and sound. She stood there looked up an said "Do a poo" and she did, I almost did!

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would be more worried about the noise the bird might make. We were parked next to a MH in Spain and they had a parrot - and it squawked all the time. Really annoying, especially as I couldn't understand what it was saying as they had taught it Spanish. Really inconsiderate.

Upvote 0

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Our small birds travel well and don't appear to have any issues, feeding etc.

However, travelling Europe is an issue if you wish to stay within the laws of all the different countries. After making enquiries, each appear to have their own rules for importing animals; CITE for e.g. (so much for the EU)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kazken

kazken

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the advice regarding the parrot, one or two of the replies made us laugh. Doing our first overnight trip tomorrow - minus said parrot, and maybe take him next time. We'll let you know how we get on.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Don't forget, you can take parrots to places that say no dogs allowed. I take Tango loads of places but use common sense and don't take her where fresh food is being served. I could tell a number of interesting and funny stories. I had a great visit to Primark in Harrogate with her, where the security guy told me to leave as she wasn't allowed in. I explained that she is fully potty trained and wont do any harm. I was told that there is a sign saying no dogs allowed. I told them she definitely isn't a dog. Meanwhile a crowd had gathered, and they were all supporting me in staying in the store. Next thing the manager arrived and told me that I could stay. It was so funny.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back