Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi all,

As our Easter break in France looms ever nearer I've realised that my feeble attempts at learning French leave a lot to be desired :Doh:

As this is also our first long trip in our van I wonder if all you clever French speakers can come up with your most useful/most used phrases.

Many thanks,

Marion

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Pardon Monsieur. Mon francais n'est pas bon mais une jour j'espere parler francais bien. A ce moment je preferais parler anglais.

Basically this means (not a literal translation)

"I haven't a clue how to speak French but one day I hope to. I prefer to speak English, otherwise we're stuffed". :roflmto:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi, French language lessons already under way on this site Frankie (Yodeli)has put a lot of effort into producing lessons for everyone. Lessons include vocabulary, phrases, and typical conversation. All lessons are written with a downloadable pronounciation MP3 file that plays in windows media player.
You can find the thread
<Here - French Lessons >

just click on the above link, if you then set the page as home age on your tabs you will get fresh updates as soon as they are available.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As our Easter break in France looms ever nearer I've realised that my feeble attempts at learning French leave a lot to be desired :Doh:

Don't worry about it. They are only being awkward, they understand perfectly, all you have to do is assert yourself, speak loudly and slowly, show them British Authority and they'll get the message.

If you want to go a bit soft on them just call the men garçon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Thanks all,

Frankie I've seen your thread but as this is my first trip in my motorhome I really need a few basic phrases regarding camping. The French course that I'm on might be teaching me the basics but it doesn't cover phrases that you might need on an Aire or campsite :ROFLMAO:

Merci

Marion

Upvote 0

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
All you need to do is: if you've got a chap with you hide him in your van, pick out an unsuspecting Frenchman, look fluffy and helpless and say 'pardon Monsieur mais je ne comprends pas comment ca marche'. French men are such suckers for that, they will even unhook your hookup for you and demonstrate how to coil it up all nice and tidy :Nowink:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Thanks all,

Frankie I've seen your thread but as this is my first trip in my motorhome I really need a few basic phrases regarding camping. The French course that I'm on might be teaching me the basics but it doesn't cover phrases that you might need on an Aire or campsite :ROFLMAO:

Merci

Marion

OK! So i'll make a lesson with the most used phrases in order to help you to manage with the camping sites 's stuffs. Tell me a bit more about what you need. mainly questions i suppose as for prices , hard standing pitch, electricity, taps, grey water... and ??? what else? Give me food for thought!
I'll make as well a lesson about problems happening on motorways (as mechanic ones).

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Upvote 0

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
West Scotland-Loch Lomond
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006... but caravans and tents before that
Hi Marion,
Why not try one of the online translators. Type in the phrases you think you may need and they will be translated for you. They are not always grammatically correct, obviously, but could be quite helpful and give you the general idea of what you want to say.
One thing to remember, the French are very polite so always start with "Bonjour monsieur/madame" and finish with "Merci monsieur/madame, (au revoir)"
The same goes for shopping in small local shops, or going into a bar, you should always acknowledge everyone with a general "bonjour" or "m'sieurs dames"

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Pardon Monsieur. Mon francais n'est pas bon mais une jour j'espere parler francais bien. A ce moment je preferais parler anglais.

Basically this means (not a literal translation)

"I haven't a clue how to speak French but one day I hope to. I prefer to speak English, otherwise we're stuffed". :roflmto:

It's not that bad, except perhaps.....Pardon MONSIEUR! :Eeek:I'm a "lady frankie":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Frankie:Smile:

Upvote 0

Kooky

Free Member
Jan 12, 2008
West Scotland-Loch Lomond
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006... but caravans and tents before that
Sorry Frankie, our posts crossed there. I know I'd rather have you translate and teach, than use an online translator.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
syranara

syranara

Free Member
Aug 15, 2008
Northfleet, Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
Hi,

Maddie - I'm sure that would help but I don't think my OH would like it much :winky:

Frankie, yes it's basically every day questions regarding prices; vacancies; anything related to travelling. I've found your thread with the lessons and tried to download the mp3 file but it was taking a little too long (I'm at work at the moment). I will log on when I get home tonight so I can catch up with your teaching.

I have to admit that driving through France en route to Spain the past couple of years I've found everyone very friendly but I've never taken the van to tour around so I guess it's just beginners nerves and I expect everything will be fine. :Blush:

Thanks for all your suggestions - even the ones that could get me into trouble :ROFLMAO:

Marion

Upvote 0

Maddie

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Ashford, Middlesex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I always get people in trouble !! :Blush: Never mind.

Laurens, our son, is dreading parent evening as I promised him that if the reports were bad, I would appear the next day at school in a pink tutu !!:ROFLMAO:
He is at THAT age of nearly 14.
He nearly believes me !!

I love being a parent.

Maddie :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread