Mar 7, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Newbie/Ian Shelton

Does anyone know if parking is available in Cornwall car parks and is it easy in other parts of the country. We have just spent six weeks in New Zealand where is was no problem and worried we have been spoilt

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

Having just had a holiday in NZ where I hired a motorhome, I feel comfortable in answering your query.

Yes you have been spoiled in New Zealand!!!

You will pay through the nose to park in Car Parks in Cornwall, HOWEVER;

I would draw your attention to the fact that Cornwall is heavily dependent upon tourism. To this end the local Authorities down here have plastered many roads with Double Yellow Lines which is a general indicator that you cannot park at any time.

WRONG, WRONG and DOUBLE WRONG!!!! (read on);

You will find on close observation that there will be a plate attached to a lamp post (or maybe a wall) adjacent to said DYL's. On that plate it will say when the DYL's start to take effect.
Invariably, particularly in Cornish Seaside resorts, you will find that said Lines have no legal basis during the winter and in some places through the Spring right up to 31st May.
Alright, in some of the more popular places, the prohibition of parking starts at Easter but I've found loads of places where I have parked on DYL's without penalty.

Have a wonderful time down here but keep your hands in your pockets. That way you won't spend more than you have to.
Regards

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
That is a rather open ended question do you mean parking during the day, or at night. As far as I know there is a Cornwall wide prohibition of parking a motorhome overnight (even I believe if uninhabited). They only want us there if we are prepared to pay through the nose and stay on official sites which is a shame because it is one of the nicest counties in England with magnificent seascapes everywhere.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
That is a rather open ended question do you mean parking during the day, or at night. As far as I know there is a Cornwall wide prohibition of parking a motorhome overnight (even I believe if uninhabited). They only want us there if we are prepared to pay through the nose and stay on official sites which is a shame because it is one of the nicest counties in England with magnificent seascapes everywhere.

Please let's not blur the lines. We all know that parking applies to uninhabited vehicles and habitation means camping, whatever time of day and however much some might wish to deny it.

As regards paying through the nose and official sites, there are a number of CLs/CSs on Cornwall - do they make people pay through the nose? :Smile::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Tintagel is still OK to park overnight I believe. they advertise an overnight rate of £2 or £3.

Cornwall is not alone in being not motorhome friendly. Very similar in our home county. So much to learn from France (an apparently NZ).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back