Parking up for the winter months (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I find taking my MH for visiting friends and family is great as you have your own en suite accommodation, your own bed and a bit of peace and quiet in your own home! SORN it?? Why? You might as well have a boat and only use it 7 months of the year!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Over 50 funsters have downloaded this winterising your motorhome checklist, so maybe a few are considering laying up for the winter.

BUT winter precautions are just as important for those of us that still use the van over the winter. Get in late and knackered on a mild Sunday evening to wake on Monday to a massive frost and a frozen motorhome. Taps cracked at £79 a go. Been there done that :oops:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
My only concession for the winter is to remove my van from the road outside my house and put it in a nearby storage, where it's safe & still handy for trips. The reasons for doing that include often being away overnight and not wanting to leave it unsupervised, having had one van stolen and a rear window removed (stolen) from another van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
This will be our first winter with the MH. It's not winterised (tanks underneath) so we can't overnight in it when it's going to freeze. I'm not sure how difficult it is to fully drain down and recommision again. That may determine how often we use it over the winter. But it won't be SORNed!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Stevec: mine van isn't winterised either but I still use it right through winter. I leave the waste drain tap open with a bucket underneath it and as long as the water heater is switched on I haven't had a problem with my fresh water. However if really bad, and only away for a couple of nights I don't always fill the fresh water tank, preferring to use a bottle/container. I suppose it really depends on how cold, and how long you are away for.

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
This will be our first winter with the MH. It's not winterised (tanks underneath) so we can't overnight in it when it's going to freeze. I'm not sure how difficult it is to fully drain down and recommision again. That may determine how often we use it over the winter. But it won't be SORNed!

We're over the water at the moment & not planning to return until January.
Our van is'nt winterised either so as soon as the temp drops, probably as we travel back through France, I'll completely drain down the water system & carry water on board.
So it'll be back to boiling the kettle & having to wash from the handbasin instead of using the shower.
No real hardship & cheaper/less hassle than repairing a knackered water system.(y)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
I'm busy prepping ours to go into storage until 3 Jan and then we are off to Spain and Morocco until April.
Our van deserves a holiday as it's done over 9000 miles since January. We went to Morocco returning in April and it's never stood more than three weeks without an outing since then.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
There's nothing wrong with going for a ride out in a dry Moho, go to your favourite spot with a flask and some butties, the drive will do it good, engine and chassis both. :D

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We've sorned at present only because we have had work done on 4 work vans at the garage and our mh needs mot so must pay bill on those first then we will put it back on road and then get away for the new year hopefully scotland or if anyone has any ideas for somewhere lovely please share your thoughts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back