Parking tensions (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
I'm having neighbourly tensions over parking.

Basically to the side of our little row of houses, there is a row of 6 parking bays. Previous to moving in, these were occupied by the car of the chap that lives on that end of the houses, next-door's transit, another neighbour's transit, and their panel van conversion that they use for bike racing.

Historically the 2 transits have had the 4 middle spaces to themselves and used to park over a couple of spaces each, but obviously there is still space for MoHo.

So first time I parked within a bay, which made it a bit tight either side for the transits too, making getting into any vehicle difficult. So last time I parked straddling a couple of bays, giving each transit a space and a half either side. This seemed fine to me as long as it doesn't annoy anybody.

Only, every time we go away in MoHo for a weekend we come home to find that the two transits have positioned themselves to take up the spaces to not leave any room to get back in.

Last night before putting MoHo back, I went round to the neighbours to sort out parking; my intention just to arrange with him a way of parking that would be mutually agreeable (our previous arrangement seemed to work ok). He was a bit busy, so said he's pop over later. He didn;t.

So I left MoHo outside the house until this morning. I was going to go out and ask him again as he left for work, but it seemed on seeing me he waited inside his house, and basically it seemed he was holding out until I'd left before he moved his van. He went. I moved MoHo. I have left the same gaps as previously.

this sort of thing is mildly annoying, and a bit childish. I just want to come to some arrangement. I don't want to pee off the neighbours. But bottom line is these are un-allocated parking spaces, they have no claim on any of them. And it appears to me that the two transits view those as their spaces, and are collaborating to prevent me from parking the MH.

It means that everytime we return from having a nice trip away, I have a sick feeling on anticipation of having to do this all again. :Sad:

Any one experience similar tensions? How did you resolve it?

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
seems to me by straddling two spaces you are causing the problem . might be innocently but it makes you greedy to most eyes . taking two spaces .
could end up either nicely or you may wish you hadnt moved there.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
But the transits park straddling the spaces as well.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Precisely. I could park in a space, but that makes life difficult for all. They straddle spaces whether I'm parked or not, by me having 2 half-spaces, they at least still get 1.5 spaces.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but they were there first . perhaps they dont like you .
mind you could try reasonable chat .possibly you could have tried it earlier . but as the spaces arent allocated you could be in for a life of misery.

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
does anyone "own" the parking spaces?

If the council or housing associations owns them take photographs to demonstrate the problem and ask them to widen the bays, technically as extra spaces are being used up by vehicles straddling bays, local residents would not be loosing any space just getting wider marked bays.

If it is a public highway again you can approach the council asking them to remark and widen the bays

This gives a sensible solution for all who use the bays and could prevent neighbourly fistiecuffs in future

Hope this is helpful

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
A suggestion.

Get to know your neighbours... chat to them in passing... invite them around for drinks/tea/bbq... find out about their likes and dislikes... maybe become friends... then I guess the parking problems might just become a thing of the past.

JJ :Cool:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hopefully not the kind of neighbours that'll take it out on the motorhome I hope:Sad:

Think you're on a road to nowhere as in my experience people just don't like/want to compromise :Angry:

Good luck and get them around for that BBQ and beer and talk it thru like adults, otherwise he'll wait until your out and you'll wait until he's out and before you know it there'll be annomosity between you both and no one wants that I'm sure:whatthe:

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
My suggestion for what its worth is, to put it in writing in a friendly way Firstly apologising for not being able to catch him to discuss the parking then go onto ask him how can we move forward with the parking , to make the situation easier for everyone.
What may happen if you talk with him in the first instance is that he may become defensive and then things are said in the heat of the moment. He's already trying to avoid you . Also in the letter invite him over for a beer/coffee to chat if he wants to. Sometimes its best to bite your tongue and let the other person feel they have come up with the solution .
Good luck
I used to live in a Cul De Sac so know from experience bad feelings over parking go on forever if not sorted out.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Parking

Hi, Jimothy my daughter has a similar situation in Manchester her car which was immaculate ended up being keyed on every panel how sad is that :Sad:she said I know who has done it and have been to the police however without observing this person its only hearsay said the police quite rightly, They also said this was one of many reports in this little street of car damage so they have their suspicions :Eeek:what a sad place if this happens on a regular basis and nobody does anything. The local residents have asked for parking permits and the council have refused on the basis that this would affect local shops :Angry:Try and make friends with neighbours its the only way that you can get on
good luck.:thumb:

Jazzbow

Free Member
May 13, 2012
West Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
new
My suggestion for what its worth is, to put it in writing in a friendly way Firstly apologising for not being able to catch him to discuss the parking then go onto ask him how can we move forward with the parking , to make the situation easier for everyone.
What may happen if you talk with him in the first instance is that he may become defensive and then things are said in the heat of the moment. He's already trying to avoid you . Also in the letter invite him over for a beer/coffee to chat if he wants to. Sometimes its best to bite your tongue and let the other person feel they have come up with the solution .
Good luck
I used to live in a Cul De Sac so know from experience bad feelings over parking go on forever if not sorted out.

Just what I was going to say

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back