Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
20160927_081156.jpg
Looking at the picture the space between the 2 garages half on the right is ours where the camper is parked but we can't drive straight out because the retaining wall curves in front of the van so we have to go on to next doors side to get out .this can be awkward if cars are next door.(even more worse if neighbours want to be awkward) what I want to do is raise the half where the van is up to the same level as the garage.but then the slope will be to high for the van to get up because of the long over hang on the van

Any ideas as to how to get the van up the slope I thought of long scaffold boards to make a ramp.
Or any other way to overcome the problem

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I don't know what constraints may be involved but would it be feasible to swap the car and motorhome over?

Wyn

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Seems to be an error on the attachment? Or is it just me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Sorted now picture up nope can't change vehicles because of car port

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Maybe less bother and cost to get the retaining wall straightened?

..Or at least a shallower curve.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Sorted now picture up nope can't change vehicles because of car port
Could carport be raised to accommodate? Would that be more practical than to try to raise the drive? (Especially taking into account the 3 ton or so of motorhome that will be standing on it - apparently there are car parks which motorhomes can't use as they don't meet the requirements!)

Wyn

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Retain wall can't go any further back or car can't get out.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Could carport be raised to accommodate? Would that be more practical than to try to raise the drive? (Especially taking into account the 3 ton or so of motorhome that will be standing on it - apparently there are car parks which motorhomes can't use as they don't meet the requirements!)

Wyn
If I did that then same problem with getting car out of bottom bit I'd have to go over their side

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Biggest problem is if I get dodgy neighbours who would object to me going over their side.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Can you get the motorhome up in front of the garage without grounding?
If so, could you replace the retaining wall with one on the actually boundary and raise the space where the motorhome is parked up to the same profile?

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Storage?
Unfortunately I wouldn't rely on going across drive, this means when they park they will always have to concider you!
Move house?, I moved house purely to accommodate MH, wouldn't want it in storage.
Hope you sort something as love having ours at home.
Any drive around you not being used? Mayb you could rent off them?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought of long scaffold boards to make a ramp.
A couple of tons on scaffold boards will mean you suddenly have four shorter scaffold boards.
If not supported every couple of meters they bend and bounce as you walk on them.
I can only see four options....
Demolish the carport
Demolish the brick garage
Sell the van
Sell the house.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
A couple of tons on scaffold boards will mean you suddenly have four shorter scaffold boards.
If not supported every couple of meters they bend and bounce as you walk on them.
I can only see four options....
Demolish the carport
Demolish the brick garage
Sell the van
Sell the house.
Buy the house next door as well!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
That has got to be one of the most bizarre allocations of land I have ever seen.

Never the less I would re work the bottom of the slope and possibly some of the drive that is agains the retaining wall by raising it.

Or drive the Moho up onto fixed sleepers to even out the re worked drive if required.

I presume you're bungalow is the one up the slope to the right

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Is there a second vehicle in the garage or is that used for general storage?

Lose the car port, park MH where car now is, then park car lower down the drive (shuffle vehicles as use demands) and/or park car where MH is currently shown.

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Can you get the motorhome up in front of the garage without grounding?
If so, could you replace the retaining wall with one on the actually boundary and raise the space where the motorhome is parked up to the same profile?
This is exactly what we would like to do but yes the motorhome grounds because of the overhang if we try to get it in front of the garage

OP
OP
cookie
Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Is there a second vehicle in the garage or is that used for general storage?

Lose the car port, park MH where car now is, then park car lower down the drive (shuffle vehicles as use demands) and/or park car where MH is currently shown.
MH can't go where car is slope is to steep .

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Aha! I didn't realise yours was the house to the right :rolleyes:. In which case I'd think the suggestion @RowleyBirkinQC made might be worth looking at even maybe parking the car in front of your window.

Wyn

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Is the slope much steeper in reality than the photo suggests? We could reverse our old Swift 590RL with significant overhang up our steep drive along side of house before we subsequently dug a second (flat) transverse drive out of the front garden (having to secure bank with railway sleepers).

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Rework the drive so the slope won't cause grounding problems then park the MH on it. The car could go where the MH is now. Forget using the car port for cars?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Id say thats a non-problem , loads of room to get in and out, if you were in and out every day , it might get a pain, if thats how it was built, and you have to do that , so be it. If they put something up, worry about it then.

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I had virtually the same problem. Used to back my motorhome down an access way behind my neighbors for a few years. One day out of the blue he blocked me and said he was taking me to court. After 5 years in court, I won and moved. The upshot was I sold my house to him for a massive profit. Win-Win.
I wouldn't share a brick now.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We have a bit of a stand off, with the family across the way, mother and 3 daughters, all driving, single car drive, and a small lawn big enough to park 2 cars on, with no access issues, all of them have boyfriends, so any given day there are 5 or 6 cars on the street , i have enough space for everything on my drive, as do most , but nobody can get on or off without it being a proper pain, so now the guy next door has taken to parking across the bottom of his own drive on the road, which means they cant get off theirs.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
stick a tow bar on, any grounding will be absorbed onto this, yes a couple of groove marks will appear .
images

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back