LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Now Nikki has taken to driving the MH, I want to get some aftermarket parking sensors fitted. Anyone done a retro fit?

or any idea of costs involved to get it done ?

Quite competent in fitting them all except for the bit that says wire in to the Ignition, not keen on that bit.

?

Deleted User
Bull bars and hammerite them when they start looking tatty.

?

Deleted User
Wire to ignition will mean wire to a live that goes off with the ignition. Normally taking a feed from a power socket/ fag lighter does the trick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thought you just connected them to the reversing light.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I fitted some expensive Waeco parking sensors to my Hymer - nothing but trouble, always throwing up faults. Changed them for much cheaper ones from http://www.parkingsensors.co.uk/?gc...4o0hxhSFYQbGCEy9oQCVfB0luqkGA3XdcUaAuDu8P8HAQ. Absolutely great, excellent service and no quality issues.

Fitting quite easy, as previously suggested take the ignition controlled wire from the cigarette lighter.

Mike

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I went to Maplins and bought two sets of their own brand sensors. Two because there is too short a length for a motorhome but there is too much for the average car, so I spliced in a length to make one a lot longer. It is a very easy fit the most awkward thing is crawling around the bottom of the floor to fit the wire around the chassis ,it goes up through the floor to the dash and has an indicator with readout and beeper that get more strident the nearer you get to the object. The power comes off the reversing lights an easy fit for an average person, took a bout 2 hours with a bit of faffing about and a cuppa.
I am dead happy with it but beware it does not sense railing as the signal goes straight through them. Cost me a rearlight unit that one did. You also have another set to fit to the car when you get around to it???? They are for sale now at £39.99 but I am sure they were a lot cheaper when I got them or I would only have bought one and made some wiring up.

When you need to fit extra items to the curcuitry DO NOT FORGET that there are piggyback fuses available that just plug into the fusebox and give whatever you want out , ignition switched on and from another fuse permanent live. best and neatest solution for power out from a vehicle

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Since you are now a man of substance Paul, why not take a trip to Telford and let Diamond Dave Newell fit sensors for you?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
When we fitted them to our last motorhome we discovered that the extra width of the Motorhome caused the sensors to miss the odd thing.
You need them to overlap.

Maybe fitting 2 sets is the answer, they are cheap enough.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Got them ready fitted on our (Ford) Chausson, but beware quiet beepers! Ours is so quiet I can only compare it to a slightly alarmed Fieldmouse with a bag over its head in a soundproofed room. Absolutely no use whatsoever and no way of making the system any louder (I have asked the dealer to try). Can't even find where the damn beeper is hidden in the bowels of the cab otherwise I would rip it out and fit a police siren......

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Since you are now a man of substance Paul, why not take a trip to Telford and let Diamond Dave Newell fit sensors for you?

Yes, I have thought about that , Dave's done an alarm for me in the past and isn't too far away from me, I must ask how much Dave would charge. I might add that it's actually the front parking sensors I need as most of the time the scooter rack is on

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I bought this kit, it even comes with an hole saw.
Wire the sensors to the revering light bulb and the receiver to a switched live in the front panel.
Could take an hour to fit but they work a treat.

Broken Link Removed

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
There was chap selling parking sensors, cameras and the like at the various of the MMM shows. I bought a set, silver coloured, complete with a hole cutter and fitted them. They work a treat wired up to the reversing light. i have a sound alarm only which is very loud and is perfect for giving me a metre of room when it sounds continuously which is just right to protect the bike rack hanging off the back. Cost from memory about £30.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back