Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Hi
We are looking for places to park as near as possible to ferry over to Calais from Dover
Regards
Gordon & Greta

OP
OP
The rehctub
Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
Is it safe !!
As not done this trip abroad before usually only use camp sites but want to get in to using Aires

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Exit Barrier operates 24hours a day i believe, its only the entrance barrier thats on a timer

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Does the Canterbury P&R ever get full? I read that there are 20 motorhome spaces?

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Does the Canterbury P&R ever get full? I read that there are 20 motorhome spaces?

On the few occasions we have stopped at the Park n Ride there has only been 4 or 5 other vans parked up.
It should also be mentioned that water and waste facilities are also available.
Can't be bad for only £3 per night.
Brisey.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
Always stay on the Esplanade, normally on the opposite side to the Great Western Hotel and pop across for a couple of beers and a bit of dinner (the burgers are really nice). Have stayed there on numerous occasions and have never had a problem and it is free, you just need to arrive after 6pm and move by 8am (or buy a ticket from the machine). Up in the morning and only 2 minutes to the ferry port. Better still get on the ferry and stay in Calais.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Always stay on the Esplanade, normally on the opposite side to the Great Western Hotel and pop across for a couple of beers and a bit of dinner (the burgers are really nice). Have stayed there on numerous occasions and have never had a problem and it is free, you just need to arrive after 6pm and move by 8am (or buy a ticket from the machine). Up in the morning and only 2 minutes to the ferry port. Better still get on the ferry and stay in Calais.
There is a ban on parking Motorhome and Caravans at the Gateway Flats/Hotel end of the Esplanade/Marine Terrace. The official parking is at the other end near the marina.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Stayed at Marina end of seafront on Saturday night for Sunday am ferry. Two others there that night but must have been about a dozen at the "flats" end. My understanding was that except when closed for events parking was OK for the rest of this year.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Stayed at Marina end of seafront on Saturday night for Sunday am ferry. Two others there that night but must have been about a dozen at the "flats" end. My understanding was that except when closed for events parking was OK for the rest of this year.
There have been lots of complaints from the residents in the flats and we have seen traffic wardens talking to MH drivers along there. The signs do say cars and motorbikes only at that end.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
You are better getting a late ferry and parking in France. You get a lay in next morning and still get an earlier start than overnighting in Dover. BUSBY..

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I know some people have a long trek to Dover so difficult to estimate their time of arrival there but I've never understood why people plan to arrive in Dover late afternoon/evening and then camp on the street awaiting a ferry out the next morning.
Even if you take an evening ferry out and park at the less-than-salubrious ticket office car park, Dunkerque - it's still soooooo much better to get that early start the next morning with no ferry to look forward to.
Make it a Saturday night crossing and you've then got the pleasure of a whole day of Sunday traffic for your first day there.
But I guess we all have our own ways of doing things.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
We prefer to stay in Dover and get an early ferry also. We find this more relaxing, in the same way as we always stay in a hotel the night before a flight if a London airport. We then have no worries about traffic hold ups and that makes us more relaxed.
We get up in the morning, strap the kids in and off to the port, where we shower etc whilst waiting to board. Then take breakfast onto the ferry, let the kids play and use some of that morning energy, and we are set for a more relaxed drive when we hit Calais.

We did try it the other way, getting a late ferry and sleeping the other side, but found it didn't work as well for us. Each to their own though

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I suppose it makes a difference whether you are on ferry or tunnel, if you are on the train there's only twenty minutes difference between here and there, so doesn't really make a lot of sense paying to stop here when you can be over there parking for free at cite Europe, and ready for off when you like , not having to rush to catch it in the morning, but if you are on the ferry it takes a bit more planning, as to times and stuff.

Nov 21, 2011
Rugeley
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savanah
Exp
Since 2009
There is a ban on parking Motorhome and Caravans at the Gateway Flats/Hotel end of the Esplanade/Marine Terrace. The official parking is at the other end near the marina.

The Great Western Hotel is at the other end near the marina.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The Canterbury park and ride is quite big and there is an overflow bit over to the right going in but no water etc.
In Dover keep right along to the western end away from the NIMBY flats. Tickets are available at £60 each at the Eastern end, but you do not want that do you?

OP
OP
The rehctub
Sep 20, 2014
Luton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
8 years
We stayed on park & ride it was full we managed the last place ,it was absolutely great ticked every box.and only £3.00 . Highly recommend. Thanks all

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Another vote for Canterbury p&r . pub next door and places to walk a dog if you have one . the barrier definitely cuts off at 8.30 as we saw somebody arrive at 8.40 and they couldn't get in .
We travelled from Manchester , so appreciated it as a cheap stopover before tunnel next morning .
Your £3 also entitled you to a bus journey into Canterbury as well ( that'll be the r bit of p&r ! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back