Parking overnight at Caen/ ouistreham port (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
A couple of years ago we arrived on the afternoon ferry and arrived at Ouistreham about 9.30. The aire was full so we parked on the road outside. Not long afterwards the boys in blue arrived ( probably summoned by a local resident ) and said that it was "interdit "to stay overnight there. I speak reasonable French, so apologised and asked where we could stay. Follow us they said we will take you the nearest camp site ( on the roundabout on the way in to the port) and zoomed off. Well I was towing a trailer at the time so struggled to keep up. They eventually stopped on the supermarket car park, again on the way to the port and said it was OK to stay there, so we have several times. We have also stayed on the ferry park after the last sailing but had to put up with refrigerated lorries at the side of us. A useful camp site is over the Peagasus bridge and about a mile further on. Nothing special but friendly and handy. Sorry but have forgotten the name. Have a good time
Thanks for that Poursay I will look on the Internet for that camp site (y)

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
Hi Howard
We have use the Yelloh site ,Les Hautes Coutres, a couple of times. Quite handy as on the main road in, about a couple of miles out of town, however, they insist on a minimum of 2 nights in high season and the last time we were there, there were whole gangs of teenagers running around late night / early morning. The people we were next to had had a terrible night the night before with noise, banging on vans etc and the security didn't seem to be around when wanted. We didn't use the pool but despite notices to the contrary, it seemed to be full of guys in shorts, on inflatables, throwing balls around and no control.
The other site I mentioned is "Camping les Capucines"at Ranville. Fairly basic, no pool etc but friendly and helpful. The ferry in was late once and they were still up waiting going on for 11 pm. Not a problem they said!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
There is also this little Aire just a few minutes from the ferry. We stayed just a couple of weeks ago after an afternoon/evening crossing. We've used it a few times, has water and grey and black waste. Not for the bigger MH as bays are not huge...up to about 7.5 max I'd say. 5 euro, collected in the evening or morning.

BROKEN LINK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks Poursay, we had looked and dismissed the yelloh site for the same reasons you had mentioned they did not get a great write up on the review sites but will look at the other site . Thanks again very helpful (y)

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks Dave and Ginny but as we are towing our car as well may be a bit tight for us but thanks for the help and if we decided not to take the toad will have a look at it (y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi again @Howard H
Don't think hermanville aire would be any good as quite small parking spaces ,no double spots,you'd have to disconnect your tow car & park that next to your moho

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Glad there are people like yourself that are willing to help us foreign travel beginner and less of them that don't want to help and maybe in a few years time I will be able to help someone thanks (y)

Only joking!!! There are lots of aires around that area, not all of them in the Vicarious book. Just need to keep your eyes open.
Know the area well from my driving days but really only briefly touched on it in the van, usually on our way to or from somewhere warm.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Only joking!!! There are lots of aires around that area, not all of them in the Vicarious book. Just need to keep your eyes open.
Know the area well from my driving days but really only briefly touched on it in the van, usually on our way to or from somewhere warm.
No problem Terry :) sometimes it's hard to judge the tone of the reply when it's only in text form, enjoy your travels (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No problem Terry :) sometimes it's hard to judge the tone of the reply when it's only in text form, enjoy your travels (y)
Something you have to get used to on here,,majority are wind up merchants,,hence Motorhome Fun,,,,BUSBY:D:D:D:D

Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Don't know if this is old news but Les Pommiers is closed at the minute. We arrived to stay overnight but were greeted by a French Lady waving her arms at us and saying "fermee'". Even the motorhome stop over area at this site is closed. It looks like major work is being done on the whole site to upgrade it, old toilet blocked etc being knocked about. Don't know how long it will be shut for, the Aire next at the port was fine. Lots of Gendarme presence around that area when a ferry was loading and leaving but absolutely no problems. Did get inside of Motorhome looked into on 2 occasions but only superficially.

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
There is also this little Aire just a few minutes from the ferry. We stayed just a couple of weeks ago after an afternoon/evening crossing. We've used it a few times, has water and grey and black waste. Not for the bigger MH as bays are not huge...up to about 7.5 max I'd say. 5 euro, collected in the evening or morning.

BROKEN LINK

We use this aire as well - agree bays are not huge, we just fit in at 7.4m, but a lovely village and only few mins from port. There is an a nice layby beside the aire which can be used as an 'overflow' (think there are signs up) and you would have plenty of room to park up with a trailer there.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
September last year we parked in the car park right at the entrance to the port. free after 6.00 pm. there were also lots of vans parked around the seafood market. Google is your friend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back