parking on road albeit temporarily !! (1 Viewer)

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Last week I rang Motorhome Facts insurance and told them that as we were having our drive resurfaced, my normal practice of parking on the drive would have to change for just one week to parking on a quiet road a few hundred meters from the house. They promptly increased my premium by £25.50 for this week on the road.
Having paid, I began to wonder about the logic of this: after all the initial policy asked where do I normally park the m/h. If i park on the drive for 51 wks and on the road for 1 wk surely this still count as 'normally' on the drive.
Then I wondered as I sometimes visit my daughter in Plymouth en route to Cornwall and have to park on the road as she has a short drive - should I ask the Insurance company whether they expect an increased premium for this on road parking?
Just wondered what the consensus of opinion is?
cheers
Dai

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So what aboutif you are wild camping on a road. I wouldnt have mentioned anything to the insurance company.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I posted a thread about this very subject back in April, it seems different insurance companies apply this rule in various ways !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Perhaps a bit cynical but.
We all tend to be on the back foot / hesitant when we call insurance companies about changes. Company employee thinks let's give it a go, try a few quid.
I'm with you on the what about when travelling, isn't the MOTORhome a clue to them!

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Last week I rang Motorhome Facts insurance and told them that as we were having our drive resurfaced, my normal practice of parking on the drive would have to change for just one week to parking on a quiet road a few hundred meters from the house. They promptly increased my premium by £25.50 for this week on the road.

Dai
Now you know who to phone when you renew!

This forum section is sponsored by AIB Insurance. They offer an excellent discount to Members
Once you have your quotes, give these guys a call and tell them you are a Funster
AIB Insurance Link Removed02380 268351

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Probably £0.50 for the extra risk and £25.00 for the paperwork to change the policy

Nothing honest about insurance companies :(

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
well the long awaited reply has arrived: -make of this what you will.

Thank you for your e-mail received on the 19th August.
We would confirm that each individual motorcaravan policy is incepted on its full merits. Most enquiries fall within our normal underwriting criteria, but we always strive to be accommodating in other risks, which may be subject to referral to our underwriters.
We note from your Statement of Facts that your vehicle is valued at £50,000, and other than the factory fitted immobilizer has no other approved security devices. Consequently this factor would have been taken into consideration when assessing the risk.
We do have strict guidelines for where vehicles may be parked when not in use, i.e. when not being used for travel or other day to day activities, e.g. holidays. Most policyholders will keep their vehicles either on their own driveways or in secure storage.
We are motorcaravanners and have run Motorhome schemes for the last 25 years or so, and during that time we have become aware that motorcaravans parked away from the policyholder's address, or in approved storage, are open to abuse in respect of malicious damage, theft of, or theft from.
Due to our experience, any cover undertaken when the vehicle is parked on the road, will have strict criteria and usually a higher base premium. We do refuse cover for many vehicles parked on public roads.
With regard to your own request, a small additional premium was charged, which also related to your change of address and was kept to a minimum as a measure of good faith. Under normal circumstances we would most certainly not have covered a vehicle with a value of £50,000 being parked on the road, even temporarily, without an approved alarm or tracker or indeed both being fitted, dependent on the post code. Consequently we feel that the additional premium was only a very small percentage of the premium which could have been charged, and this was incorporated without the request for additional security being fitted onto the vehicle.

If you need any more assistance with your policy, or have any further questions, please contact us on the number below.

Regards

just a shadow

Free Member
Apr 6, 2014
kent/sussex
Funster No
MH
a class rv tiffin
Exp
since 2014
legalised money launderers and professional goal post movers. I recently discovered I had a policy on a commercial vehicle which wasn't worth the paper it was written on 2yrs cover paid for totally invalid

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
On a motor home of that value, I would have thought most insurance companies require a tracker.
If you do not report any changes, the problems will start if you need to make a claim.
They are trying to reduce fraudulent claims which in the end put up our premiums.
Choice is yours-
Are you feeling lucky? Lol

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You should have slept in it.

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
Quote - We are motorcaravanners and have run Motorhome schemes for the last 25 years or so, and during that time we have become aware that motorcaravans parked away from the policyholder's address, or in approved storage, are open to abuse in respect of malicious damage, theft of, or theft from. End quote

Did they not spot the irony of this statement when describing motor-homes considering the nature of their intended use?

Paul

OP
OP
D

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Well the Saga comes to an end. My policy expires soon so I asked about the renewal notice. I was told by motorhome facts that I couldn't get a renewal unless I agreed to the parking rules as laid out in their letters. Since then I approached AIB who inadvertantly tried to get me a policy with Aviva (who underwrite Motorhome facts) only to be told that Aviva wouldn't insure me!!!! Luckily AIB have been very helpful and have found me another policy at a lower price. Never again will I use Aviva or Motorhome facts. Really disgusted with the entire process!

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
They might well learn just how powerful (negative and positive) the effects that forums such as these are. My insurance is coming up and I've already taken note.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So does that mean you can't park your motorhome on the road ever? Not even to stop and buy something when you are actually using it?

I think this part of their reply covers that query....We do have strict guidelines for where vehicles may be parked when not in use, i.e. when not being used for travel or other day to day activities, e.g. holidays. Most policyholders will keep their vehicles either on their own driveways or in secure storage.

Still agree with you that what they did was bad, and they have lost a customer and many more prospective customers.
Well worth charging you that £25!
Allan

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had a motorhomer insured with caravan guard that was worth that much and they telephoned to tell me that they are withdrawing the insurance as I had mentioned that it was on the road and not on a driveway.
I imediately telephoned comfort and got insured with them.
Have been with them ever since.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Well the Saga comes to an end. My policy expires soon so I asked about the renewal notice. I was told by motorhome facts that I couldn't get a renewal unless I agreed to the parking rules as laid out in their letters. Since then I approached AIB who inadvertantly tried to get me a policy with Aviva (who underwrite Motorhome facts) only to be told that Aviva wouldn't insure me!!!! Luckily AIB have been very helpful and have found me another policy at a lower price. Never again will I use Aviva or Motorhome facts. Really disgusted with the entire process!
in that lies your biggest issue.... you must now answer yes when asked if you have ever had insurance refused. it could be very expensive getting insured in the future

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
definitely look for another insurer.if they try it on in that situation what would they be like if you had a claim:eek:
brian and jo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back