Parking on Norfolk coast (1 Viewer)

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
We're currently camped near Cromer, an area we know well (by car) but we're baffled by where to park to go for a walk. I found a guide to parking but it turns out to be out of date. There are new height restrictions at Holkham and West Runton. Does anyone know if you can still park a motorhome in the beach car park at Wells? Before we get stuck turning round!

Feb 9, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
IH Oregon R
Exp
The car park on West side of Wells does not take motorhomes we were there Wednesday and they were turning them away

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
The big car park on Cromer cliffs has a height barrier but they do open it at times and allow motorhomes on.
Just found this on their website.

MOTOR HOMES / OVERSIZED VEHICLES Motor homes and vehicles including trailers that occupy more than one bay are required to buy the corresponding number of tickets for each wholly or partly used bay. Motor homes / Vehicles, including trailers are not permitted to use coach bays. No overnight camping/sleeping permitted on any car park.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
You can't beat Burnham Overy Staithe (unless it's a very high tide :cry: )

A large, free hard-standing adjacent to the river with a long walk to a lovely clean beach or westwards to the other Burnhams and along the Coastal Path.
The only fly in the ointment is the way parked cars on the approach can make the road quite narrow.

Gordon

May 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since 2020
I parked at Holkam Beach Lady Anne Drive 4th July , no issues but now reading the rules I should have asked for permission for Lady Anne Drive via email. It looks like Holkam Park via the South entrance is ok but only open 9-5. Odd regarding Lady Anne Drive I wonder whether that's a recent change no issue in late May either.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
East Cliff carpark at Sheringham is just a short walk into town, we parked there last year (In the Autocruise) and then the wife insisted we went shopping in the rain.:rolleyes:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have parked in this road. No restrictions. Short walk to town
EE52A771-2A6F-401F-9C35-CF7178EBCCEB.png
B27B7C37-CB74-47DF-A021-AF3A39887853.png

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Brancaster beach has a large car park, no height restrictions, it’s not cheap though. We’re in the National Trust, so free parking at Blakeney and Morston Quay. There’s plenty of room at Morston Quay, not so much at Blakeney but both okay for motorhomes.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You are ok at Wells beach carpark but be early. Sheringham is ok if you can back up over the grass at the back

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You are ok at Wells beach carpark but be early. Sheringham is ok if you can back up over the grass at the back
Wells beach car park is completely closed to motorhomes and campervans.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Not last month.
We even managed to park our 7 mt van in the invalid bay at the end. Lots of others parked on the grass as an overspill
Wells beach car park is closed to motorhomes and campervans. We were there yesterday.

OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
I parked at Holkam Beach Lady Anne Drive 4th July , no issues but now reading the rules I should have asked for permission for Lady Anne Drive via email. It looks like Holkam Park via the South entrance is ok but only open 9-5. Odd regarding Lady Anne Drive I wonder whether that's a recent change no issue in late May either.
I saw that and emailed them. I had a reply asking for the dimensions of our vehicle, replied with dimensions but heard no more from them. Maybe we'll give Lady Anne Drive a try. We only want to park and go for a walk, I never imagined I'd become a pariah just by buying a larger vehicle.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Absolutely dreadful , definitely no parking on sea fronts in Norfolk :imoutahere:

OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Wells beach car park is completely closed to motorhomes and campervans.
That is very disappointing, but thank you, you've saved us a trip. We'd have spent money there, but if they don't want our money we'll have to think again. It's worse than being a biker in the 80s!

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We parked the Motorhome at Holkham Beach car park (Lady Anne Drive) on Thursday with no probs, but we heard that on busy days that they sometimes restrict parking for campervans and motorhomes.

Yesterday, we visited Wells, but we were in a car, not the motorhome. The beach car park had a height restrictor on it I'm afraid (2m I think).

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
West Runton cliff car park worth a try , we parked up in car a couple of years back and quite a bit of room and Google Earth shows a van entering, but not much there only beach.

OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
Absolutely dreadful , definitely no parking on sea fronts in Norfolk :imoutahere:
We don't want to park and look at the view, we just want to park somewhere and go for a walk! You wouldn't think it's a lot to ask
West Runton cliff car park worth a try , we parked up in car a couple of years back and quite a bit of room and Google Earth shows a van entering, but not much there only beach.
Thanks, but there is now a height barrier at West Runton beach car park.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
On the grassy cliffs, overlooking Hunstanton beach, a group of travellers had set up camp. The height barriers in Norfolk are there to keep these travellers out. It’s a massive shame that we are also kept out. I spoke with the car park manager at Wells about this matter but he was adamant that we couldn’t be let in.

OP
OP
Herbyventures

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
An update to this post - while in Norfolk, we drove to Holkham (midweek) and had no difficulty parking in Lady Anne Drive. The attendant was very helpful and told us that if we parked like a car (at right angles to the road) then we could pay as for a car, which we happily did. We did see, as we left, a sign by the gate that they obviously put out at times, which said 'No Caravans, motorhomes or Horse Boxes' and something about them reserving the right to close the car park to whoever. We reckon they put this out at busy times (although everywhere was busy even mid week and before the summer school hols this year) We then met our neighbours from the camp site at Holkham Hall, where they had parked their motorhome in the coach park. I'm not sure if they'd made prior arrangements as the website suggests you should. But at any rate, it is possible to park there, mid week and out of school hols. We also visited a National Trust property while on holiday and were just asked to park in the coach park bit as there was more room, which we didn't mind. There was a larger motorhome than ours in the main car park though....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back