AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
We are newbies and enjoyed 2 weeks in Somerset and Devon in the autumn of last year and just got back from a week in Norfolk. So had time to confirm all systems on our van work.........except the parking lights........views and advice please.

When one side of the van is lit by the parking lights, i.e. One side only is lit by front and rear position ( side lights) the bottom set work. However the top marker lights high up on the rear of the van light on the other side.

So when the offside bottom parking lights are on, the offside high up light is off , but the nearside high up light is on, (and vice versa when the opposite side is selected.)

Is this normal or a fault? If a fault what are the implications if I don't get it fixed?

MOT regs appear to be silent on this, but what happens if they change in the future?

I can get it fixed under warrenty if a fault , but is it worth it if the wiring is fiddled with and new faults develop unintentionally?

It's a Chasson 510. .... it ticked all the boxes for us and we love it .... so far,,,and we feel well informed through the collective knoweledge and wisdom of funsters!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it will be 2 wires mixed up behind the rear lights so reasonably easy to fix

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Hope so, and good if it is, the dealer wants on for a week in case it's more complicated.:unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
AFAIK? Sorry can't work that one out...don't know them all yet!

Guess I will have to look at Googles view on one sided parking lights again.!

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Thanks must remmber that one , saves the fingers typing away.

And now I have looked at highway code it seems side or parking lights will be ok as
Highway code says:

Rule 249
All vehicles MUST display parking lights (NOTE Parking lights)when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

Law RVLR reg 24

Rule 250
Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 2500 kg laden weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are:

• at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and facing in the direction of the traffic flow
  • in a recognised parking place or lay-by.
Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights. ( SO THIS APPLIES TO MOST MOTORHOMES but dosn't say sidelights or parking lights)

Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)

Rule 251
Parking in fog. It is especially dangerous to park on the road in fog. If it is unavoidable, leave your parking lights or sidelights on.( NOTE this does differentiate between sidelights and parking lights ...so rule above just says lights therfore side or parking can be argued )

Now I rember why i have a conundrum

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Parking lights? side lights? what is the difference I have. No light, side lights and headlights with fogs in another position on the same switch. Parking lights were those stupid little things you stuck out the top of your side window about 30-40 years ago, to stop you light flattening the battery overnight. Maybe I miss something somewhere.?????????? Some cars used to control the side lights with ignition off and the indicator switch to the side you want, is it one of those?

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Yep a 2015 chausson , transit based, can do this if you flick the indicator as you descibe.

But if plod, plods past me at night and I have 2 parking right hand side lights on and then top left hand side on ..will he care? hopefully not.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
even need to use while parked in lay bys o_O

every days a school day :)(y)

but I will take my chance with plod rather than a flat battery in that example (y)

as for your problem, excellent spot, hope it is simple, never even checked mine or been asked to prove them at any MOT, my local garage ask me to sit in and do the controls when asked saves them dirtying my seats

also means they don't get to view the dash, to date we have no lights on, but .......

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
even need to use while parked in lay bys o_O

every days a school day :)(y)

but I will take my chance with plod rather than a flat battery in that example (y)

as for your problem, excellent spot, hope it is simple, never even checked mine or been asked to prove them at any MOT, my local garage ask me to sit in and do the controls when asked saves them dirtying my seats

also means they don't get to view the dash, to date we have no lights on, but .......
Parking lights not an mot item

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Check out any vehicle parked overnight in any layby you see and I think you will find they are in total darkness. Get it fixed if it's a worry to you but really not needed. :)

OP
OP
AXO66

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
I've come to that conclusion too. No clear legal need to have it fixed, and save me a long drive.

By the way it gets darker in west wales sooner than notloB!

Reckon I've thrashed this issue now so thanks for the advice and views, forced me to look up the highway code.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back