Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Good evening fellow funsters. My wife and I are looking to visit Louth, Lincolnshire, can anyone recommend a suitable carpark for us to park up for a couple of hours?

Had a look on the councils website but they don't state whether any of the places to park are suitable:( Our MH is 7 meters, thank you in advance for your help(y)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
As it happens we took our car in to Louth today for a sevice and MOT and walked past the CO OP supermarket and thought that that would be a good place to park. Ours is a PVC though so less of a problem size wise. Hopefully someone more local will come along with some advise.

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
Hi no motorhome spaces in louth in the council carparks. lots of free 2 hour road side parking. lincolnshire is very poor for motorhome parking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonyandcarol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2016
Spilsby Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Niesman bischoff Fla
Exp
since 2005
forgot the co op it might be ok if it is not to busy. street parking is ok but dont go over the 2 hour regular traffic wardens about.

OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Thank you to you all for your input, we'll have a drive in and take a look, in particular to the Co-op car park.(y)

@tonyandcarol it's a real shame when councils don't consider all forms of tourism, especially in light of the popularity of Motorhomes in recent years.

Regarding Lincolnshire CC, oddly enough when you look at their website, they refer to coach & motorhome parking but don't appear to have any specific places for them(n)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you to you all for your input, we'll have a drive in and take a look, in particular to the Co-op car park.(y)

@tonyandcarol it's a real shame when councils don't consider all forms of tourism, especially in light of the popularity of Motorhomes in recent years.

Regarding Lincolnshire CC, oddly enough when you look at their website, they refer to coach & motorhome parking but don't appear to have any specific places for them(n)
I did notice that the sign in the Co Op car park said cars and motorhomes so you should be okay.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
@Hellski

Louth has a Georgian town centre, so parking is never going to be easy. A few years ago the District Council (who control parking) decided to have a 'one-size-fits-all' parking policy across the whole region, which includes the coastal tourist towns of Skegness, Mablethorpe & so on. Absolute disaster when applied to rural market towns like Louth.

Fortunately, a certain degree of common sense has returned & the worst of the car park restrictions in Louth have now been amended. While there are no dedicated parking spaces in the car parks, motorhomes are now permitted. The car park to the rear of the Co-op is the one best suited to motorhomes & close to the town centre. Use the entrance off Broadbank, into Kiln Lane, not the Northgate entrance. Follow the road to the left & go to the area over the river - not the area in front of the store. Don't try to use the Engine Gate car park, which is also off Broadbank, right opposite the turning into Kiln Lane.

The other option is the Cattle Market car park on London Road, heading south out of town. Further to walk (& up hill carrying your spoils), but loads of room.

Finally, there is a car park off Northgate, but it needs care on the approach & is often full anyway.

On street parking is available, but you'd be lucky to find a space, as you would need 2 adjacent cars to have vacated a slot at the same time.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Best route into the Kiln Lane car park behind the Co-op for a m/h, avoiding the tight corners in the town centre.

Use the blue route. Avoid Cisterngate.

KLCP.PNG

KLCPsat.jpg

OP
OP
Hellski

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Best route into the Kiln Lane car park behind the Co-op for a m/h, avoiding the tight corners in the town centre.

Use the blue route. Avoid Cisterngate.

View attachment 184346
View attachment 184347 .

Fantastic information. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such detailed information.(y)

Just got to love the power of this forum and it's members.

I hope this thread will be useful to others thinking of visiting Louth.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
TheCaller knows Louth much better than me. However when I go, I always try Edward Street and Crowtree Lane before trying the car parks. On the left hand side of Edward street as you head towards the junction with Horncastle road there is quite often spaces there... Crowtree Lane is a bit more hit and miss though but I have got lucky there once or twice.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you travel 7 miles you'll find the Green Man pub. They'll let you camp for free if you eat there.

Stayed there dozens of times when I was riding at Cadwell Park.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
TheCaller knows Louth much better than me. However when I go, I always try Edward Street and Crowtree Lane before trying the car parks. On the left hand side of Edward street as you head towards the junction with Horncastle road there is quite often spaces there... Crowtree Lane is a bit more hit and miss though but I have got lucky there once or twice.
Yes, you can get lucky & I always park my 6.4m PVC on the street, but I think the OP has a wider m/h & did specifically ask about car parks, so that's what I concentrated on. If you park a full width m/h on almost any street in Louth, you make the road single track at that point.

I was in Fleetwood last weekend & the difference between a Georgian town centre & a Victorian seaside resort is staggering. Wide streets & a massive amount of easily accessible on-street parking with relatively few restrictions. M/h heaven by comparison!

Bing

Free Member
Feb 20, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We ventured into Louth after we'd been to Cadwell Park, roads are very narrow and most had cars parked along both sides- we also encountered a bin wagon coming the opposite way

Our motorhome is 8.2m we'd never go in again. We had a silent exit back to the main roads:whistle:

Hope this helps:D

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We ventured into Louth after we'd been to Cadwell Park, roads are very narrow and most had cars parked along both sides- we also encountered a bin wagon coming the opposite way

Our motorhome is 8.2m we'd never go in again. We had a silent exit back to the main roads:whistle:

Hope this helps:D
That's a shame you missed a beautiful town. Loads of small independents and very few of the larger chain stores in the town centre. The Church is worth a visit..

If you have time the local park called Hubbards Hills is a great walk and beautiful at this time of year.

Louth is one of the few smaller towns that I visit regularly...

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
I'd second @Gromett 's comments.

With a large m/h, head for the Cattle Market car/coach park on London Road. Straight in from the A16 roundabout on the south side of town. Avoids the centre altogether.

P.S. 16T rigids go to the Co-op in the centre all the time.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
As it happens we are staying on Oasis Lakes at North Sommercoats and going for a drive in Smarty to Louth today. Going to have a wander and see the sights. Anybody recommend things to see please?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
As it happens we are staying on Oasis Lakes at North Sommercoats and going for a drive in Smarty to Louth today. Going to have a wander and see the sights. Anybody recommend things to see please?
You're in luck. On Mondays the traffic lights change :)

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
Yep they changed from red to amber and then green. Nice town enjoyed a nosey round

May 16, 2015
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2015
Parking at Cattle Market. Fabulous and free, no problems with size of MH.
Just get a ticket and park for free. Very good and only a short walk to the town.
Well worth a visit I would say and where can you park for free these days!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Had a look on the councils website but they don't state whether any of the places to park are suitable
You probably have all the information you need from other well-informed posters but, just to clarify, the council information includes motorhomes with all larger vehicles.
It states, Here, "Oversized vehicles - Are welcomed in our car parks, where space permits. Please ensure that you purchase a machine ticket for each full or part space occupied."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back