Parking in Laybys on main roads. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
There has been an accident on the A2 at Boughton, when 3 men died and another was seriously injured when the BMW car they were in collided with the rear of an HGV parked in a layby. The driver of the truck was in the cab asleep when it happened but was arrested at the scene, for causing , Death by dangerous driving, later released on Police bail, under investigation. I do not know the complete details yet but it does not look good for him.. The authorities are having a real crackdown on the parked trucks in Kent and it looks like he will be the scapegoat for this. Quite how a car drives into the rear of a trailer at 04.30 in morning whilst parked in a layby I am nor sure. Just though that it might be because there was no kerb between the lorry and the carriageway, he is on the highway.
Those of us who have had to stop in places similar might care to think about that one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably got due to lighting laws, laybys are considered part of the highway. Outside a 30mph limit all vehicles must display parking lights inside 30mph limits all vehicles over 2.5t must display parking lights.

That means you can not park a Motorhome anywhere on the highway at night without lights.

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
By law if you park in a layby at night you have to have a minimum of sidelights on all the time during the hour of darkness and travelling a lot down the A14 there are many car and lorry drivers that do not do this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Surely the laybys are there for emergencies/ breakdowns. HGV drives have to by law only drive for so long before they have to stop for a break/rest. If they have been held up on a delivery what do they do, stop in the middle of the road? no they use the layby if there is no service station or industrial estate . I would have thought the driver of the BMW would be at fault for undue care and attention. I hope the company who employ the lorry driver get behind him with a good solicitor

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
If a lay-by has a kerb between it and the highway, is it still classed as the highway? I try to only use lay-bys that have this separation but only really to protect me when I get out of the Hab door on right hand side.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Probably got due to lighting laws laybys are considered part of the highway. Outside a 30mph limit all vehicles must display parking lights inside 30mph limits all vehicles over 2.5t must display parking lights.
That means you can not parkk a Motorhome anywhere on the highway at night without lights.
Doesn't mention weight on this one
Screenshot_20180113-200902.png

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
There was a similar accident on the Newbury bypass a few years ago, they reckoned the car driver was following the kerb in the fog and the lay by was just short of a junction that he was due to turn off.pro drivers are arrested and bailed on the scene as a matter of course nowadays after a coach driver that rolled one over on the a36 into Bath causing a death flew back to Germany . If he had been arrested and bailed he would've had to stay in the UK.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
I would think unless there is a by law in that layby the lorry drive is ok like tosee where this one go's ray

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I know we would all like more places to 'overnight' but we do it out of choice...

Lorry drivers need to stop, should have facilities but have to park where they can - scandalous and potentially dangerous - if the 'authorities' can't provide for the professionals we'll never get many 'aires'

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Many years ago while asleep in a truck in a lay-by in the early hours of the morning I was awoken by the police banging on the door they demanded I switched my side lights on . I think they must have been having a quite night that was at least thirty years ago so I guess it’s always been the law .

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Must say , I would never want to park up in a lay-by next to a road , to sleep. Couldn’t think of anything worse.
Though I’ve seen many lorries do it so I thought it was allowed.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
On a slightly different note. It never ceases to amaze me how many people drive about using parking lights/sidelights in low light or fog! Then again there are loads driving in these conditions with no lights.
It’s only when events like the OP happen that the authorities have an opportunity to attach blame to someone as there are no resources to address these offenders day to day.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Must say , I would never want to park up in a lay-by next to a road , to sleep. Couldn’t think of anything worse.
Though I’ve seen many lorries do it so I thought it was allowed.
It really is horrible. Strangely enough, it's white van man that has the worst effect on the wagon. Usually the speed they can rock the cab whereas a car usually doesn't (Chelsea tractors excepted) and wagons don't have the speed to do it.
However, I can understand why they park in laybys especially when some service areas (Cambridge) charges £32.00 for parking over 3 hours for ALL vehicles

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Probably got due to lighting laws, laybys are considered part of the highway. Outside a 30mph limit all vehicles must display parking lights inside 30mph limits all vehicles over 2.5t must display parking lights.

That means you can not park a Motorhome anywhere on the highway at night without lights.

Heres an oddity I was told by a police officer some years ago, Clarification would be good if any one knows.

If you are stationary on the public highway and the engine is running you arnt parked.
Any ideas?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does this include lay-bys where it says parking where lorrys stop, with a double kerb.

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
Does this apply to lay-bys that are separated from the road by grass/trees, often out of sight of the road. These are what I'd use and did when I fetched my MH from Scotland.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Heres an oddity I was told by a police officer some years ago, Clarification would be good if any one knows.

If you are stationary on the public highway and the engine is running you arnt parked.
Any ideas?
Sounds right as you can be done for using a mobile phone with the engine runing.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Laybys that are identified by the blue "P" sign and that have notice of them given yards ahead surely can't be consided part of the highway, especially on those roads that used to be called clearways can they?

Dick

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
@EX51SSS I’d feel safer in a big wagon doing it . With all that at the back of you and so high up.
But why motorhomes choose to is beyond me. A lot sleep in the crumple zone as it is. Plus imagine a lorry veering to the side and hitting it ! You’d stand no chance.
No thanks.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I’d feel safer in a big wagon doing it . With all that at the back of you and so high up.
But why motorhomes choose to is beyond me. A lot sleep in the crumple zone as it is. Plus imagine a lorry veering to the side and hitting it ! You’d stand no chance.
No thanks.
Don't forget, that's if it's a rear shunt. The fronts of most wagons are pretty flimsy.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Apart from mine :)(y)

Any ideas?
No you aren't. But also you cannot remain stationary for long without falling foul of the " cannot remain stationary with engine running " rules.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back