Parking for a Week Near Glasgow (1 Viewer)

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
We are planning to walk the West Highland Way (WHW) this summer, using a sherpa service to take our bags to the next overnight B&B each day. We want to drive to Scotland in the MH, probably stopping off in Cumbria and then park the MH near the start of the WHW on the outskirts of Glasgow. We then do the walk over a week, ending at Fort William and then catch the train back to Glasgow.

Mrs Garratt has suggested leaving the MH at a campsite near the start of the walk, but this doesn't sit well with me - apart from the cost, using a campsite pitch as parking seems morally wrong somehow. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best option? Can anyone recommend a CL that might allow us to park for a week?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Rather than a sherpa service for the bags, get somebody to drive the van each day to the new destination.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The campsite near Milngavie is now closed, the next nearest is about 15 miles on from there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Probably a lot easier to leave the van at Ft William and catch the train to the start of WHW.
There are at least 3 campsites at the base of Ben Nevis.

Given the choice of leaving a van near Glasgow or Fort William I know which one I'd pick !

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my experience of parking overnight in Glasgow and a few other cities, back when I was working, I would worry the van is safe and still in one piece when I got back. A mate lost the wheels from his car and anything of value left inside when we returned to our digs for the week. It looked like any other reasonably nice neighbourhood until the local police told us otherwise. Anything near a rough estate is asking for trouble of course, but you feel comfortable with nice houses with well kept gardens and decent cars

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I would say your best choices would be as someone suggested park at FW and train back to Glasgow for walk.
You could try the farm that used to be a CL as they might allow this it was called Bankell Farm
Leave it at Glasgow airport parking place, loads to chose from then get the bur back to Glasgow
If you're a member of the CMC they have storage at their site in Strathclyde park, you can get train from close by into Glasgow then out to start of walk.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm fairly sure, unless changed recently, that the designated car parks in Fort William do allow motorhomes, some even have dedicated bays - the one next to the station between Lidl's and Morrison's does, but permitted hours are something like 08:00 to 20:00 so no overnighting.

I also think the West End car park on the way into FW is also no overnight parking.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Unless there is member here living in Glasgow or close. and has space on the drive or behind. I would leave it at fort William also in either a hotel or pub car park. With permission from said owners.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I would say your best choices would be as someone suggested park at FW and train back to Glasgow for walk.
You could try the farm that used to be a CL as they might allow this it was called Bankell Farm
Leave it at Glasgow airport parking place, loads to chose from then get the bur back to Glasgow
If you're a member of the CMC they have storage at their site in Strathclyde park, you can get train from close by into Glasgow then out to start of walk.
Bankell is all posh houses now Gerry.

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
You could leave it at the Flying Scot airport parking where I keep my MH. It's near the Glasgow airport and St James st Train station. Its around 15 minutes into Glasgow Central st from there CCTV, 24hr security. Plenty of space there right now. Costs me £50 a month to keep my MH there at the moment

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
You might have to inform your insurance company - mine need to know if it is left unattended for more than 48h unless it is at its registered storage location.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
We are planning to walk the West Highland Way (WHW) this summer, using a sherpa service to take our bags to the next overnight B&B each day. We want to drive to Scotland in the MH, probably stopping off in Cumbria and then park the MH near the start of the WHW on the outskirts of Glasgow. We then do the walk over a week, ending at Fort William and then catch the train back to Glasgow.

Mrs Garratt has suggested leaving the MH at a campsite near the start of the walk, but this doesn't sit well with me - apart from the cost, using a campsite pitch as parking seems morally wrong somehow. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best option? Can anyone recommend a CL that might allow us to park for a week?
I know the guys at the Bosch Training Centre at Eurocentral.. They might store it under cover for the week if it’s close enough to the start point for you?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I know the guys at the Bosch Training Centre at Eurocentral.. They might store it under cover for the week if it’s close enough to the start point for you?
I think he'd be about 2 hours away using public transport to the start.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Think you can get a bus from Eurocentral to Airdrie train station and it's a direct service from there to Milngavie station which is the start of the WHW.
As Gerry says would be around 2 hours easy travel and could be a viable option.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Think you can get a bus from Eurocentral to Airdrie train station and it's a direct service from there to Milngavie station which is the start of the WHW.
As Gerry says would be around 2 hours easy travel and could be a viable option.
Happy to ask the guys if needed... A box of beer would do it I'd say

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I used to run an airgun club at the farm, it's a beautiful location. Shame the houses were just a bit out of my budget at the time.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I used to run an airgun club at the farm, it's a beautiful location. Shame the houses were just a bit out of my budget at the time.
We stayed there a few times and really liked it and the guys was always friendly, I think it would take a few vans staying on a CL to make the same money he probably got for the land assuming he sold it.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We stayed there a few times and really liked it and the guys was always friendly, I think it would take a few vans staying on a CL to make the same money he probably got for the land assuming he sold it.
He did sell, his family own most of the farming land around there. He (Alan Bell) moved across the road to another farm that they owned but decided not to have another campsite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back