Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
By coincidence,....

There is an e-mail for appeals, should we do this as we were genuinely there looking after our little boy for a little longer than expected. Is this now an offence in UK....:Angry:
Not quite sure what the problem is in this case. Without you telling the company, how are they supposed to know the reason for your overstay? Having an e-mail address for you to explain seems like the actions of a reputable company.

Phil

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Not quite sure what the problem is in this case. Without you telling the company, how are they supposed to know the reason for your overstay? Having an e-mail address for you to explain seems like the actions of a reputable company.

Phil
Yes they may be an ok company, but why contact them and tell them who was driving it may be a ploy for people to make contact when you don't need to. Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
By coincidence,....

We too have just received a parking charge notice to owner (my wife), from Parking Eye car Park Management in the post a few minutes ago. :Sad:

Where did we obtain this penalty?

Sunderland Royal Hospital.....

We took our 4 year old son in for a simple operation on his nose last Wednesday. This required him being put under with anaesthetic so we had to stay with him whilst he was put under, then wait for him to wake up again and the staff to ensure he was well and good to be discharged..

They said he should be out again before lunch so I paid and put ticket on the car, but [HI]due to the hospital being busy[/HI] we were there a little longer than expected, so over ran the time on the ticket.

Now having to pay parking fees just to visit friends or family in hospital is bad enough, but being "fined" for taking a 4 year old for an operation, what the hell is going on in this world....:Eeek:

There is an e-mail for appeals, should we do this as we were genuinely there looking after our little boy for a little longer than expected. Is this now an offence in UK....:Angry:
As that is something outwith your control (as opposed to spending too long shopping for instance) I would have thought it was grounds for appeal.

I'm surprised, because of the fact that treatment might easily overrun, that a hospital still uses pay & display parking as opposed to pay on leaving. The two main hospitals on Tees-side both have systems where you take a ticket on entry and pay a variable amount as you leave.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Perhaps we should all hold a protest day when at a given time on a given day we all dump our shopping wherever we are (at an outlet using said parking system of course) and walk out telling the retailer we are running out of our allotted parking time time. That might actually be fun.

I bet we could fill a lot of trolleys if we tried :ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by callumwa
By coincidence,....

There is an e-mail for appeals, should we do this as we were genuinely there looking after our little boy for a little longer than expected. Is this now an offence in UK....

Phil

I considered this as my immediate response, however I am due to go back to work again next week. If I do contact them and they continue to pursue the matter, I will be out of the country for the next two months. I don't want to let my wife have any hassle whilst I am not there to deal with it.

Yes they may be an ok company, but why contact them and tell them who was driving it may be a ploy for people to make contact when you don't need to. Pete

I had read of several people who contacted the company concerned and ended up with a prolonged battle and more threats of increased penalties. I don't mind standing up for myself, especially in these circumstances but I don't want my wife lumbered with it as I stated above.:Sad:

It seems from what has been said if I ignore it, after a few more letters they will just give up....

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV

Phil

'a reason for your overstay'?

Christ! These 'retail parks', 'outlet villages', or whatever fancy name is the trend at the time, want our money, they lure us to these 'all the same' shopping areas, to try and extract as much of our hard earned cash as they can, and then we are to go begging to some R sole company explaining why we have been so long! Sod 'em! I would boycott the lot!

Craig

OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
Quote:
Originally Posted by callumwa
By coincidence,....

There is an e-mail for appeals, should we do this as we were genuinely there looking after our little boy for a little longer than expected. Is this now an offence in UK....

I considered this as my immediate response, however I am due to go back to work again next week. If I do contact them and they continue to pursue the matter, I will be out of the country for the next two months. I don't want to let my wife have any hassle whilst I am not there to deal with it.

I had read of several people who contacted the company concerned and ended up with a prolonged battle and more threats of increased penalties. I don't mind standing up for myself, especially in these circumstances but I don't want my wife lumbered with it as I stated above.:Sad:

It seems from what has been said if I ignore it, after a few more letters they will just give up....

Apparently it is a legal thing, once you reply you have given their claim legitimacy and you have entered into some sort of negotiation that weakens your case if it goes to court. i hope this is correct, i am sure someone will correct me if it isn't.

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
We received one last year , we were at Whitehaven in the Focus store car park , the store was closed because they had gone bust but the I spy easy money parking cameras were still on .

A few weeks later we received our notice stating we were 20 minutes over our time (we never saw any signs stating there was a time limit on parking).

The letter went straight in the bin and all further correspondence was ignored until they gave up .

This is not about parking on double yellow lines or in disabled bays it's about a wholly disproportionate "fine" for being slightly over your time when you are probably spending money in the stores anyway , 60 quid is a joke but no ones laughing .

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ignoring it is all well and good however the parking is not under control of the company you shop in, it put out to tender and the car park company don't give a toss about how tired you are or queues in the shop they just want to make a living. I dislike paying for parking and have been known to drive through towns rather than pay to park, however pulling into a pay carpark and then driving off without paying is theft however much you dislike paying.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
ignoring it is all well and good however the parking is not under control of the company you shop in, it put out to tender and the car park company don't give a toss about how tired you are or queues in the shop they just want to make a living. I dislike paying for parking and have been known to drive through towns rather than pay to park, however pulling into a pay carpark and then [HI]driving off without paying is theft[/HI] however much you dislike paying.

I parked in an NHS Hospital car park.

I attended an appointment with my four year old son to have his outpatients operation.

I paid for 4 hours (though why you have to pay to attend a Hospital is another issue)..:Sad:

I was 30 minutes over the four hours........

Hardly a case of driving off without payment (theft).....

A £60 penalty for attending a hospital appointment sounds more like theft to me!!...:Angry:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
As that is something outwith your control (as opposed to spending too long shopping for instance) I would have thought it was grounds for appeal.

I'm surprised, because of the fact that treatment might easily overrun, that a hospital still uses pay & display parking as opposed to pay on leaving. The two main hospitals on Tees-side both have systems where you take a ticket on entry and pay a variable amount as you leave.
You tell the nurse at our hospital and she phones through to explain you will be late giving your reg no. Sorted --if you dont ask you dont get :thumb:

Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
Don't pay!!

The fine is totally disproportionate to the length of overstay. Don't pay, don't communicate with them and they will eventually go away. They want to scaremonger with minimum effort to obtain money from you.

Cheers

Rich

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
hospitals will normally issue get of jail cards

as previously said by others...NHS will normally issue a get out of jail card or arrange to waive the extended stay charge if you are detained in the hospital for longer than expected.

But with private car park companies.. just ignore them.. OK a few threatening letters.. but if you respond you are doing what they want.. you to acknowledge they are making a claim.

Do not respond to the letter. Second free legal advice in on run of posts... what am I doing:Sad:

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
E

electricscott

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
Buckden Marina
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 year
as previously said by others...NHS will normally issue a get out of jail card or arrange to waive the extended stay charge if you are detained in the hospital for longer than expected.

But with private car park companies.. just ignore them.. OK a few threatening letters.. but if you respond you are doing what they want.. you to acknowledge they are making a claim.

Do not respond to the letter. Second free legal advice in on run of posts... what am I doing:Sad:

Bob:Blush:

you are slowly becoming human:thumb: ….oh joy there is hope for lawyers:ROFLMAO:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I parked in an NHS Hospital car park.

I attended an appointment with my four year old son to have his outpatients operation.

I paid for 4 hours (though why you have to pay to attend a Hospital is another issue)..:Sad:

I was 30 minutes over the four hours........

Hardly a case of driving off without payment (theft).....

A £60 penalty for attending a hospital appointment sounds more like theft to me!!...:Angry:

You tell the nurse at our hospital and she phones through to explain you will be late giving your reg no. Sorted --if you dont ask you dont get :thumb:

I called the Patient Advice & Liaison Service at the hospital, on the number Graham (GJH) very kindly PM'd me.

A friendly woman called Shirley took my details and the parking ticket reference. She said don't worry about it, she will sort it out. She said I may still get a reminder but just to ignore it and call her if there were any problems....

Result! :thumb::thumb:.... Thanks Graham

Yet another example of how your subscription to this Forum pays for itself over and over...

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I suspect a lot of these charges are as a result of some people abusing the system, I know that certain Large Retailers discovered that a percentage of their car parking was taken up by people working in town centres and they were abusing the system..

"for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. "
GALATIANS

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I suspect a lot of these charges are as a result of some people abusing the system, I know that certain Large Retailers discovered that a percentage of their car parking was taken up by people working in town centres and they were abusing the system..

"for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. "
GALATIANS
That is certainly the case. Companies provide free parking for their customers, nobody else. If commuters use the car parks or people stay for longer than a "normal" then it means that potential customers cannot park so go elsewhere, resulting in lost sales.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I called the Patient Advice & Liaison Service at the hospital, on the number Graham (GJH) very kindly PM'd me.

A friendly woman called Shirley took my details and the parking ticket reference. She said don't worry about it, she will sort it out. She said I may still get a reminder but just to ignore it and call her if there were any problems....

Result! :thumb::thumb:.... Thanks Graham

Yet another example of how your subscription to this Forum pays for itself over and over...

Update.......

Whilst away in Scotland last week, I had a call from the friendly woman Shirley at Patient Advice & Liaison in Sunderland.
She apologised, saying she had forgot to ask my registration number. I duly supplied her with it.

Today I received another letter from Parking Eye.

The £60 penalty has now been cancelled, and that was the end of the matter....:thumb::thumb:

Thanks again Graham......::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back