Parking a (heavy) van on a grass pitch.... (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
....when rain is highly likely.
I'm guessing this is very unwise?
Are there any relatively bombproof ways to avoid getting stuck?

At the risk of boring everyone again, I think I'll probably have to strike the Luss C&CC off our list. Their hardstanding pitches are only for 8m outfits and we're 8.5m, so we only have the choice of a jumbo grass pitch. Husband's not keen. :cry:
Checked out the east side road to the Cashel forest site. :eek: Wouldn't want to meet another 9m van coming the other way.

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
We always park the driving wheels on grip mats if not sure, once moving usually ok keep at low revs, most farm sites have a tractor or 4x4, never tried it but assistance with our towed car may work, we do carry a tow rope, how about caravan movers on rear wheels, or a winch on the front !
we have only been stuck 3 times in almost 30 years in 1 rwd & 2 fwd, it's all part of the fun

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We have previously booked a grass pitch on a C&CC site as they are cheaper now, and in summer not usually a problem. However when we turned up the warden had allocated a hard standing as he said the grass was too wet; no extra charge to us. Hopefully if your grass pitch isn't suitable due to weather they will either find you a hard standing or ring you to advise of the situation.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back