"parking" a comformatic gearbox (1 Viewer)

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
A quick question... how do you park with the comformatic gearbox?
I know it is essentialy a manual gearbox, so there is no "Park" function a la a true automatic gearbox.

I've read the specific comformatic gearbox manual http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwifxfyaoMvRAhWnJMAKHd7QD8kQFggnMAA&url=http://aftersales.fiat.com/eLumData/EN/77/250_DUCATO/77_250_DUCATO_603.95.838_EN_01_10.11_SC_CM/77_250_DUCATO_603.95.838_EN_01_10.11_SC_CM.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH4hnjBMDJspeICgqCJTB50ZVejjw&sig2=rxSvraubRVhaLhbK07PG6Q

and it says
comfort.jpg

The bit that doesn't seem to happen with me is the "wait until the gear engaged disappears

from the reconfigurable multifunction display before releasing the brake pedal."

does anyone else's gear display disappear when a parking the van in the method described above?

If I stop the van, place it in 1st with foot pressed on the brake pedal, the gear selection doesn't seem to ever disappear, no matter how hard or long I press the brake pedal - so I just have to turn the engine off.
Ta :)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Ours doesnt disappear either but will only let you turn the engine off with it in 1st without beeping at you. Having said that I normally put it in neutral when I park up so I will follow the advice and leave it in 1st in future.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I think they mean "Foot on brake. select gear (if not already selected), turn engine off, wait for gear display to disappear before removing foot from brake." The clutch re-engages when the engine goes off & the display going out confirms that this has happened. They say "If on a slope ...", so I think they are worried about the vehicle rolling forwards/backwards if you release the brake too soon.

It's worth putting your foot on the brake even when on the level. The pressure holding the clutch plates apart dissipates faster than the engine stops turning, so if you don't have your foot on the brake, you get a small jerk as the last bit of rotation is transmitted to the wheels.

For the same reason, you should have your foot on the brake when starting the engine too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back