Parking a camper for a week in Volos, Greece?? (1 Viewer)

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
Hi all, we have to leave our camper for a week in Volos while we catch a ferry to Skianthos however having contacted www.parkaround.com (who seem to be the ones who book parking with), we are told they cannot accommodate our 7.4m long beast.

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than shortening her with a chainsaw) about places/providers who we could leave the camper with near the port. Many thanks

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Unless you can find somewhere really secure in Volos I would be wary of leaving it there. There has been a lot of drug-related crime in tha area - I follow Greek news.

I costed the car ferry to Skiathos - it is Euro 129 one-way(not sure of height restictions), but if you want to go on to Skopelos and Alonissos then you still have to park somewhere.

An alternative is to drive south to Aghios Constantinos for ferry to Skiathos - so look on internet for parking there.

All the help I can give.

Geoff

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It may not be insured if parked unattended for a week especially if some not secure and guarded.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Checkingout

Checkingout

Free Member
Mar 12, 2017
Australia
Funster No
MH
Blucamp Sky 25S
Exp
I am thinking now of staying in the campground at Camping Sikia and asking them if we can leave the camper there while we are at Skianthos. We would have to get a taxi back 17km to Volos but can't find any other options at this stage. We still have three weeks to sort it out.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As DBK states, check your insurance.. Even left on a campsite I doubt you will get any cover.
Most policies will state something like not cover if left for more than 36 hours and not parked at agreed recorded address or storage area..
I have left min in Spain on campsites and in a storage facility, took the chance while we flew home for a few days but like a lot of things you need to weight up the risks.. The campsite idea sounds better if you do have to do it (y)

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Well if your policy says it is not covered for that period then it is worth a phone call to get agreement. If the answer is 'No' you are in the same position, if 'Yes' it is a good result. I have always had a yes if it is in storage or on a friends land, especially if they have security lights.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well if your policy says it is not covered for that period then it is worth a phone call to get agreement. If the answer is 'No' you are in the same position, if 'Yes' it is a good result. I have always had a yes if it is in storage or on a friends land, especially if they have security lights.

Geoff

I have not left mine for a while but out of interest i emailed Safeguard only last week..

Here is the reply..
"Our policy does not allow for the vehicle to be left unattended abroad at any time nor can this be added to the policy."

Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Tonka

Interesting. I am insured with Safeguard but was with NFU. When I have notified I think it was in UK.

I do not know whether they are quoting from the policy wording, since my policy is in the MH. Maybe not since 'abroad' is a rather loose term to be legal.

I would be interested in how they, or more importantly a Court, would interpret "....left unattended.......at any time...."

Firstly, "...At any time..." What if one leaves the MH on an Aire while one has a day out? Or, reductio ad absurdum, one goes into the supermarket, or leaves it on the filling station forecourt to pay.

Secondly, "...unattended...". I doubt this could be construed as 'unoccupied' as that would be considered unreasonable, e.g. in the supermarket case. It could be argued that in the following instances it is 'attended'

- one parks outside a friends house but one sleeps in the house

- one parks it outside a friend's house who will keep an eye on it.

- one parks on a campsite where the owners keep an eye on it.

Unfortunately I do not have access to case law on the points raised to find out whether the wording has been tested.

Tonka may be able to quote what his wording policy says about their statement, please.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back